mtDNA H16b Haplogroup

Sandlapper

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L21
mtDNA haplogroup
H16b
I have the following query posted under the main Genetic Genealogy and Haplogroups header, but I wanted to include it here, as well.

I participated in the Genographic Project's Geno2.0 DNA test, and I received the mtDNA haplogroup result of H16b.
I would like to know if anyone has any info regarding that particular group. It seems to be either rare or it hasn't received much attention from researchers.

Hopefully, I can contribute in some way to further study. In the meantime, I'll enjoy the quest to find out more...

Thanks,

-Sandlapper

Last edited:
I have found the complete genetic sequence of H16b on the NCBI GenBank site. I will post a link after I reach the required 10 posts!

Last edited:
here is a link to a website page which is about mtDNA H http://www.genebase.com/learning/article/20. they said
Infrequent/minor subclade of H. Further research will better resolve the geographical distribution pattern of this subclade

so i guess there is almost no knowledge about where H16 is popular or where it originated. plus u have a subclade H16b which makes it even more complicated.

this is a link to a map of mtDNA and its subclades(including H16) in europe, Asia, and north Africa
http://www.genebase.com/doc/mtdnaHaplogroup_H_Subclade_Distribution_Map.pdf

i could not copy and paste the map.

when looking at the map i could not find any H16 so it is extremely rare

H16b GenBank

I have found the complete genetic sequence of H16b on the NCBI GenBank site. I will post a link after I reach the required 10 posts!

You might be talking about my results! I'm an H16b, and I submitted my sequence to GenBank. My maternal line comes from the British Isles, but I don't know much more than that. I do know they came to the colonies very early- around the mid 1600s, and they lived in Virginia, in Prince William County.

Hi, Flamestitch!

I made an inquiry to a geneticist in the UK with access to the GenBank info. He informed me that out of 18,000 sequences on GenBank, only 33 are H16, and out of those only 12 appear to be H16b, so it appears to be an uncommon group.
He was kind enough to add a couple of lines from 23andMe saying, "It appears that H16b is solely 'Germanic' and of pretty recent separation.... One might say that this group appears, as any group that might be, Anglo-Saxon."

I would post his name, whereas, I really appreciated him reaching out and providing me with this information, but I'm still new to this board, and I'm not certain of the protocol in these matters.

Oh, by the way, Flamestitch,

My maternal immigrant ancestor also arrived in the colony of Virginia in the mid 1600's from the British Isles!

Hi, Flamestitch!

I made an inquiry to a geneticist in the UK with access to the GenBank info. He informed me that out of 18,000 sequences on GenBank, only 33 are H16, and out of those only 12 appear to be H16b, so it appears to be an uncommon group.
He was kind enough to add a couple of lines from 23andMe saying, "It appears that H16b is solely 'Germanic' and of pretty recent separation.... One might say that this group appears, as any group that might be, Anglo-Saxon."

I would post his name, whereas, I really appreciated him reaching out and providing me with this information, but I'm still new to this board, and I'm not certain of the protocol in these matters.

Did you or he run BLAST ?
if so, what was shown?

zanipolo,

He told me that the coding region mutation was C9129T. I'm not exactly sure how he put his hands on the info. I hope that is helpful to you.

Last edited:
zanipolo,

He told me that the coding region mutation was C9129T. I'm not exactly sure how he put his hands on the info. I hope that is helpful to you.

Thanks

I was curious on what BLAST confirmed, as I have 2 x H23 ( persons named collins and sorel ) shown and a H7* ( person name beaugrand) as well.............so I was just wondering.
IIRC BLAST gives you blocks of 10Cm on persons with exact genes

Oh, by the way, Flamestitch,

My maternal immigrant ancestor also arrived in the colony of Virginia in the mid 1600's from the British Isles!

As rare as this subclade is, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find a relatively recent common ancestor between us.

I think it's so exciting that you've found even this small amount of information! My results came in last year, and I was pretty frustrated to find next to nothing on H16b. I tested through Family Tree DNA, and had one solitary match at the FMS level.

The family names in VA are Blake, Cornwell, Buckner, Seale, Bristow, and Nichols. The only one I am absolutely certain of is Blake, the rest are connected by a sketchy will that only names my grandmother as "grandchild," so that may not be valid.

zanipolo,

I will post some links that you my find interesting after I hit the magic number of 10 posts.

Flamestitch,

Wouldn't surprise me at all if we shared some maternal ancestor somewhere in Virginia. Most of my maternal ancestors eventually migrated south to NC and then SC.

That's my DNA! And Ian Logan is the person who prepared the file for me. He was very helpful.

Well, Flamestitch,
It seems that you and I share a maternal ancestor, possibly an Anglo-Saxon woman, whose granddaughters (many generations later) found their way to the New World in the mid 17th century. It really is a small, small world sometimes!
Glad I get to communicate with you via 21st century technology!
And yes, Ian is very helpful!

It's really fascinating, and I'm so glad to make these types of connections too! I just hope more people decide to get tested, so we can add some information to this group.

Hi all, just thought I would chip in here, I am H16 as well, my furthest traceable maternal ancestor is
[h=1]Catharina Rohmer[/h] Your 8th great grandmother Birth c. 1680 in Wildberg, Calw, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Hello! I had my father do the Gene2.0 test and his mother's Mitochondrial Haplogroup is H16b. My father was born in Mannheim, Germany, and his parents divorced when he was very young. I have tried to look for names common to my DNA matches in Ancestry who don't match my mother's side of the known family.
I really would like to know more about my father's maternal lineage because she is a part of me. National Geographic said her maternal line went back to Ireland and Scandinavia, and Britain. Her family were supposedly from Lorraine, which is now in France, but was a German province 100 years ago. I wonder if those women in Virginia colonies are related to my paternal grandmother. My mother's side came to New England and Quebec before Ontario, Canada, and my father arrived in 1952. But I am certain I have ties with American Germans or French descendants in America who were my paternal Grandmother's ancestors. I hope to look up the names I have found on this discussion board. Thanks all!

Dear Sandlapper and Flamestich:

"The family names in VA are Blake, Cornwell, Buckner, Seale, Bristow, and Nichols."

I am writing to share that I used the tool I have to hand, Ancestry.com, to look up Buckner among my DNA matches. 20 living individuals were returned, all of whom had a Buckner female ancestor in Viriginia. These members family trees all are heavily Virginia,and only one of them had any possibly link to my Mayflower and Mayflower-era American families, and no connection with my Canadian roots since the American Revolution.
With our way of having women take their father's name, a woman's name reflects her paternal heritage is most countries of the world, as so her maiden name would have only one generation and her daughter's would be different. Nevertheless, I have to say how thrilled I am to have those six names to look up, and a location, to explain a likely link between my father's Mitochondrial DNA, and the shared DNA markers I have with people who don't match my known side of my tree. Thank you again!

This thread has been viewed 22329 times.

Back