Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: englands germanic ydna

Ethnic group
    english,bavaria.thats all i know

englands germanic ydna

Hello,i was wondering what the difference in percentage of germanic ydna is from east England to west England.thank you

Marquis

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

there is more germanic y-dna in eastern england (south + central of eastern england) are higher in R1b R-S21 and I1 lineages whereas western england has much more of the irish R-L21 super-clan clade of R1b.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Quote Originally Posted by tjlowery87 View Post
    Hello,i was wondering what the difference in percentage of germanic ydna is from east England to west England.thank you
    Didn't you check new Maciamo's map with germanic ydna?
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Ethnic group

yep,i was wondering the difference from east to west,but the map was great,thanks for reminding me.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2c1 PF3892+ (Swiss)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a (Cornish)

Ethnic group
    3/4 Colonial American, 1/8 Cornish, 1/8 Welsh

The most popularly cited Y-DNA study of England since its publication has been Capelli 2003, and although its nomenclature is a bit dated, it still offers some interesting insights. Among its samples within England, it finds the most Germanic Y-DNA to be in York, Norfolk, and Nottinghamshire--all Eastern England--and it finds the most Celtic to clearly be Cornwall in the far Southwest, with Cumbria in the Northwest also an example of a place that leans more Celtic. It does have some oddities that haven't been reproduced in other studies that I've seen, like Kent looking oddly Celtic and East Wales looking oddly Germanic, which may be a byproduct of their use of small STR signatures in lieu of SNPs. But it still conforms to what I've seen in later studies in terms of Y-DNA frequencies: The most Germanic regions in England are ~60% Germanic in their Y-DNA, while the most Celtic regions are more like ~25%.

I will say, though, that the most promising regional study is coming out of the People of the British Isles project. See their Royal Society exhibit. It's a full-genome study, meaning that it includes Y-DNA, but is not limited to it. The cluster plot is very telling. Basically most of Southeast England is from the same, largely Anglo-Saxon genetic background, where "Southeast England" in this case includes places as far off as Leeds and Dorchester! Cornwall and Cumbria again come off looking like Celtic outliers. Unfortunately, we can't really extract percentages (yet) from that data.

Ethnic group

thanks sparkey