Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Estimating Germanic Y-DNA in Iberia

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 0%

There are certainly Germanic DNA in Portugal and Spain, because of the large history of Europe.

I think, there was already some Germanic DNA before the Celts (people) and later the Romans (politics) went to Iberia.

A lot of present Germanic DNA could be of Suevi or Goth origin, but there are also Anglo-Saxons, Franks, Vikings and other Germanic DNA in Iberia. The middle ages brought also Germanic DNA to Iberia.

People who know Iberia can find out that there are lots of isolated locations. Most of them are around the coasts (mountains) and regions like Extremadura.

If in a village or area exists more Suevi, Goth, Franks or other Germanic DNA is often a question of Iberian regional history.

Suevi-Germanic is not Nordic. I would say it could be a variation of North-, Middle- and East-Continental-Europe, where the Suebi-Germanic tribes came from.

I think some people in Portugal and Spain carries a Germanic DNA.

Some of them carries only the Y-DNA, only the mt-DNA or autosomal DNA or more.

We can’t say whether the typical autosomal DNA Suevi is only blond and has got only green or blue eyes, but these characteristics come from North-, Middle- and East-Europe, isn’t it ?

However, I think,the Celts, the Scandinavians and most tribes of East Europe also carried blond hair and green or blue eyes.

Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b DF27*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2b1

@Mani,

I agree there's Germanic ancestry in Iberia. However Ancient DNA tells us little has changed in Iberia since 1500 BC. So, the Germanic input must be small.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Haired14 View Post
    @Mani,

I agree there's Germanic ancestry in Iberia. However Ancient DNA tells us little has changed in Iberia since 1500 BC. So, the Germanic input must be small.

Ancient DNA of 1500 BC can’t tell us what happend after this time.

I think, ancient DNA of 1500 BC doesn’t tell us much about Germanic DNA in Spain,because at that time the Germanic culture began to exist and expand in some parts of North Continental Europe.

But,at first, it could be that very few families went to Iberia as heardsmen from the time Germanic culture began to exist. In that case, Germanic DNA had been there before the Celts.

Later,with exodus and migration of people, the Germanic DNA came to Iberia. I think that was with the Suevi, Goths and some few Vikings, Anglo-Saxons, Vandals.

After or during the „Reconquista“ there were certainly migrations to populate empty zones with Christian Franks and others.

I am sure, after 1500 BC, Germanic-DNA increased in Iberia more than before.

However, there are not many if we compare with the whole Iberian population.

But I think there are more than we believe to see, because Y-DNA and MTDNA are not visible.

Autosomal-DNA, the visible one, can be a kind of highlight for the Germanic-DNA in a village or area and that there are more Germanic DNA in form of invisible Y-DNA and MTDNA.

For instance, a man in a family looks like Germanic. He test his Y-DNA. His resultis are Germanic-DNA. His father, one of his grandfathers, his sons, his brothers don’t look like Germanic, but at least for Y-DNA they are Germanic, too.

Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b DF27*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2b1

@Mani,

The accepted theory is: Germanic languages evolved in Scandinavia between 2500 and 500 BC. The common ancestor all Germanic languages existed in 500 BC. After 500 BC Germanic languages expanded out of Scandinavia.

This means: It is impossible for there to be any significant Germanic presence in Iberia in 1500 BC.

So, if Iberians in 1500 BC were basically the same as Iberians today it is impossible for there to be very significant Germanic ancestry. There is certainly some but it isn't significant.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Haired14 View Post
    @Mani,

The accepted theory is: Germanic languages evolved in Scandinavia between 2500 and 500 BC. The common ancestor all Germanic languages existed in 500 BC. After 500 BC Germanic languages expanded out of Scandinavia. .
    Why do English people say German-ic and not Scandinavian to Germanic DNA?

I think, North Germany and its areas around was the centre of Germanic origins. The first Germanic Scandinavians were the people of Denmark and then northbound to Sweden and Norway.

The people in North Germany and its areas became first Germanic when they mixed with the imigrated Indo-Europeans, coming from the East on Continental Europe.

This means: It is impossible for there to be any significant Germanic presence in Iberia in 1500 BC.

I agree with this. At this time, I suppose, there wasn’t any Germanic DNA in Iberia.“But, at the time when Germanic began to exist were possibilities to get there.”

So, if Iberians in 1500 BC were basically the same as Iberians today it is impossible for there to be very significant Germanic ancestry. There is certainly some but it isn't significant.

From 1500 BC to now the Germanic DNA increased with the Suevis, Goths etc. Not very significant but they are there, more than we believe. I am sure they are some villages and areas with more Germanic DNA than on average.

I would say any DNA in Iberia in 1500 BC was Germanic. I think, the Megalithic I2a2a-M223 found in La Mina is clear not Germanic and maybe it became a part of original Iberian people in that peninsula.

The I2a2a-M223 which went to North Germany certainly became with other DNAs (Indo-Europeans)Germanic.

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-M253

Ethnic group
    Iberian, North West European, Balkan, North African, Italian, Jewish Ashkenazi, Irish-Scottish-Welsh

Pedro Gomes you are lier in majority North center south they looks like Mediteranean ( mostly iberian and North African, Levantin syrian palestinian, Italian, Anatolian Turkey, Greek, South France) and in minority we have little population who looks like North France for exemple but its minority !

I Come from Vila Do Conde neighbours of Povoa de Varzim , 15 km to Porto

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-M253

Ethnic group
    Iberian, North West European, Balkan, North African, Italian, Jewish Ashkenazi, Irish-Scottish-Welsh

WE have only 1-3% haplogroup i1 and its In only North portugal its nothing
    WE are iberian with Big admixture North African and Italian

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-M253

Ethnic group

No th nordic people was in majority the Wisigoth, Suebi and Vandal with minority Viking WE had nothing or very very very little frank

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 182

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21
    MtDNA haplogroup
    L1b1a12a

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Isa View Post
    WE have only 1-3% haplogroup i1 and its In only North portugal its nothing
    WE are iberian with Big admixture North African and Italian
    https://www.eupedia.com/europe/europ...y_region.shtml

Portugal
    I1 - 2
    I2a - 1.5
    I2b - 3
    R1a - 1.5
    R1b - 56
    G2a - 6.5
    J2 - 9.5
    J1 - 3
    E1b1b - 14
    T - 2.5
    Q - 0.5
    N1c1 - 0

Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 182

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L21
    MtDNA haplogroup
    L1b1a12a

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Isa View Post
    No th� nordic people was in majority the Wisigoth, Suebi and Vandal with minority Viking WE had nothing or very very very little frank
    Curiously enough, our first King, D. Afonso Henriques, is a descendent of Frankish nobles and even Kings.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/cl%C3...se-king-tayeb-

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234