Moldova - Romanian gas pipeline, who will benefit?

Will Moldova become independent from Russian gas?

• This gas pipeline will provide full independence, import of Russian gas will be eliminated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dependence from Russia will only inscrease due to the pipeline costs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Moldova will both use Russian and European gas

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

nurset

Reaction score
The project is part of the Joint Operational Programme "Romania - Ukraine - Republic of Moldova 2007-2013" and will be implemented by the National Agency for Mineral Resources of Romania, as project leader, in partnership with the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Moldova. The gas pipeline will connect Romania and the Republic of Moldova, between Iasi - Ungheni.
According to the press release, "The ultimate beneficiaries of this project are economic agents, households, providers of essential social services (such as medical care or child care), providers of educational activities or other social services and charities".
But I would like to know public opinion. What do you think of this?

Here is my art opinion
67152011d1376377321-iasi-ungheni-gas-pipeline-benefit-moldova-gas_button.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I could care less about less or more dependence on Russian or Romanian gas.

I am much more concerned about the environmental effects of this pipeline. Oil and natural gas pipelines are never good for the environment, there are always leaks in the pipeline, oil spills, and more associated with these pipelines. A lot of people live in Romania, Moldova, and surrounding areas. How is this pipeline going to effect them? How many people lost their property, by way of eminent domain for this ridiculous pipeline.

Honestly, who gives a shit about dependence on Russian oil or gas, that doesn't matter! I don't care what nation the petrol that goes into my car comes from! I care about the price, and most of all environmental impact. That's why I am buying some plug-in hybrids and maybe even an electric car.

Is the pipeline going to transport oil, or natural gas? Also, is there any information on the environmental effects of the pipeline?

Thanks.

Honestly, I could care less about less or more dependence on Russian or Romanian gas.

I am much more concerned about the environmental effects of this pipeline. Oil and natural gas pipelines are never good for the environment, there are always leaks in the pipeline, oil spills, and more associated with these pipelines. A lot of people live in Romania, Moldova, and surrounding areas. How is this pipeline going to effect them? How many people lost their property, by way of eminent domain for this ridiculous pipeline.
And yet the pipelines are the safest way to transport oil around.

Honestly, who gives a shit about dependence on Russian oil or gas, that doesn't matter!
What should actually matter is to free oil from national hands. Only 20% of oil is from free market. 80% is controlled by governments and dictators.
At this moment we have overproduction of oil, but the price is holding steady above 100 bucks.

I care about the price, and most of all environmental impact.
Your two statements are in conflict with each other. To care for environment takes money. Therefore you should want to pay more for guys, so we could build triple pipeline (pipe inside two bigger ones) to prevent leaks. And tons of other safety and environmental equipment.
Unless you meant you care for price, as higher oil prices. :)

We can estimate the outcome further. Now it is very difficult to predict who will benefit from this project.

The problem is more complicated than this.

Romania produces ~80% of its' gas (imports the rest of it from Russia), and still Russia manages to put pressure on Romanian energy policy and even policy itself, by playing with the gas price (promises cheap gas if their interests are met, and threatens with expensive gas, if they aren't). Momentarily, Romania pays among the highest prices for the russian gas.

If Moldova is to get romanian gas it will relieve some of russian pressure, but that doesn't mean they will ever become independent from the russian gas.

The project is part of the Joint Operational Programme "Romania - Ukraine - Republic of Moldova 2007-2013" and will be implemented by the National Agency for Mineral Resources of Romania, as project leader, in partnership with the Ministry of Economy of the Republic of Moldova. The gas pipeline will connect Romania and the Republic of Moldova, between Iasi - Ungheni.
According to the press release, "The ultimate beneficiaries of this project are economic agents, households, providers of essential social services (such as medical care or child care), providers of educational activities or other social services and charities".
But I would like to know public opinion. What do you think of this?

Here is my art opinion
67152011d1376377321-iasi-ungheni-gas-pipeline-benefit-moldova-gas_button.jpg

It’s a welcome direction for Moldova. Gazprom is holding countries for ransom by dictating gas price.
Ultimately, of course if you don’t want to buy, don’t buy it. But how you are going to heat up your premises?
Until and unless other energy resources are developed, European countries will look like buggers.
Even Germany is in Russians pocket in this case.

This thread has been viewed 5525 times.

Back