Politics Spain Vs UK - Gibraltar

Settlers of Gibraltar must know that it is very uncomfortable to live in a colony.

You can say that Gibraltar is a stolen territory but to do so is in my opinion simplistic and the easy way out of really thinking. If we went by that logic all land is stolen land from one group to the next. Over the course of history there have been countless population movements, migrations, conquests and more; but they all have the same thing in common. And that is in the end one group takes the land another group called their own. Point anywhere on the globe and the story is the same just with different actors, motives and whatnot. It may be crude or immoral in our modern society to take land from someone by force but none of us living here today can change what happened in the past.

It is part of who we are as a race. In the past war was common and might made right and of course to the victor goes the spoils of war. Try to deny it all you want but we are/were a warlike people no matter where you hail from. It is something every civilization shares in common and our ancestors no matter where they hail from did the same; it is in our nature the instinct to survive.

But we should agree that it is unjust and wrong to do so today but we cannot let the misdeeds of the past divide us; it is our duty to overcome the tribulations and atrocities of the past that our generation has inherited. It is easy to blame one another or another nation for the issues we face today. It is simple and easy to put blame on what is different or something you really don’t understand or even agree with but it does not help cure the problem. It creates a situation where hate and blind nationalism turns to violence and in extreme cases death. To overcome these issues we all must learn to compromise and at least have an open and objective mind. Remember just as we inherited a multitude of problems from our ancestors that we did not want; we run the risk of repeating the same mistakes as them and could leave the world worse for our children and those who come after us. Let me be clear here we must break the same cycle that got us here in the first place.

Debate, dialog, compassion and mutual respect are what is needed to solve complicated problems. Don’t fall into the same trap as those who made history before us and make an enemy out of someone because they are different or because you envy what they have or are slighted at what you think is wrong. It solves nothing, creates animosity and prevents all of us from focusing on the more important issues that we all face on a global level. In the end we are all but one people regardless of the language you speak, the color of your skin or how you worship. If you want to be a lesser man and go the easier path; the path that lead us to where we find ourselves today then know that you are part of the problem. These issues are complex and are a real challenge but it is something we can overcome if we are willing to compromise and learn from one another. We can accomplish great things if we would quit letting things divide us and tax our collective energy as a society.

But let me get off of my soapbox and return to the issue of this topic; Gibraltar. Perhaps my view of the matter is different to a native European; but to me Spain and the UK are both members of the European Union. They belong to something greater, a league of nation united “or trying to be” under the same Umbrella and at the end of the day it really does not matter what state claims it as the people who reside there enjoy the same rights and privileges regardless of what state gets to fly the flag. They share freedom of movement, access to travel, live and study where they please. To put it in an American perspective that would be like one state fighting with another state over who controls a chunk of land when in the end it really does not matter as they both belong to the same union of states. So let me ask you all this, are you all so bitter and divided over this issue of the past that we will sit here and wax philosophy about the morals of whom owns what when we could focus on more pressing issues? I guess I dont understand what the EU really is; because if it really is a union of nations then the members should be united and equally a part of something more than themselves and if that is the case it should be a moot point as no matter who owns what they still belong to the same government at the end of the day.

I believe that Europe or the European Union does not have to consent gaps British bands playing two or three, is a rock, little land, but what they do? we know what they do in Gibraltar, I do not consider it a future European-style places like Gibraltar, and neither is going to buy from supermarkets bare in foreign countries, here we will not have that.

This thread has been viewed 33800 times.

Back