Economy Hello from Latvia!

Marika Karimova

Reaction score
How are you today?

I would like to share a small story with you up here, and i hope to receive some opinions/ comments back.

"Riga residents are entitled to receive discounts from Riga City Council for using the public transport, but the problem lies with the initiative to increase ticket prices almost twice for residents who are not registered in Riga".

The plan starting from January 2014 is that unregistered residents of Riga will need to pay EUR 1.20 (LVL 0.84). Registered residents, on the other hand, will pay only EUR 0.60 (LVL 0.42).

The thing we have at the moment is that the current fare for a single trip using public transport in Riga is LVL 0.50 (EUR 0.71).

Is this really the the rifgt way how to grab the money out of pockets of the citizens ?

Appreciate your opinions!
Cheers.

How are you today?

I would like to share a small story with you up here, and i hope to receive some opinions/ comments back.

"Riga residents are entitled to receive discounts from Riga City Council for using the public transport, but the problem lies with the initiative to increase ticket prices almost twice for residents who are not registered in Riga".

The plan starting from January 2014 is that unregistered residents of Riga will need to pay EUR 1.20 (LVL 0.84). Registered residents, on the other hand, will pay only EUR 0.60 (LVL 0.42).

The thing we have at the moment is that the current fare for a single trip using public transport in Riga is LVL 0.50 (EUR 0.71).

Is this really the the rifgt way how to grab the money out of pockets of the citizens ?

Cheers.
Hi,
there is no such thing as right or wrong way to extract money by government. I agree, it is not fair to collect money in such a way.
For example, in London there is so called congestion charge whereupon entering central London by car you're subjected to tax unless your car is registered in central London.
So, as you can see, London's government discriminates londoners by implementing different rules subject to where people live.
If you're not happy with the decision, the best way is to vote against that party or government in the next elections. But Eupedia is not a complaint office.
rolleyes.gif

Hello, Marika. I believe that Riga is the capital of Latvia and also its biggest city. So probably some of the people in Riga think that the world ends at the border of their city. That's a problem with people from any large and important city (large and important in the context of whatever country they're living in, at least). I live in the Province of Ontario in Canada, and we have a somewhat similar problem here. The Premier of Ontario lives in Toronto, our biggest city, and she has a plan to increase the gasoline tax for everyone in the province, in order to pay for the expansion of the Toronto subway system (underground public transit). She can't understand why this enrages people living outside Toronto. It's just the kind of tunnel vision you get from some people who live in a large city and never go anywhere else. I think that Riga would be very small compared to some of the big world capitals, but it's probably large enough that people who live there never bother to visit other parts of Latvia. Or, if they do go to the countryside to visit elderly relatives or to spend time at a summer cottage, they probably think that the countryside is rolled up and put away when they're not using it. The lives of Latvian people outside Riga is probably not something they think much about.

How are you today?

Cheers.

Hello Marika, we had something similar in Malta were locals (with local ID's) were paying one price for buses and tourists a higher price. This had to be abolished from this year. If not mistaken this goes against EU regulations.

http://www.independent.com.mt/artic...essions-of-interest-out-next-week-3591012353/

This thread has been viewed 6735 times.

Back