Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Greek Results for Eurogenes K13 (North Indian Admixture)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    05-06-12
    Posts
    29


    Country: United States



    Greek Results for Eurogenes K13 (North Indian Admixture)

    I just did the Eurogenes K13 Admixture test and it came back with significant portions of DNA from West Central Asia (North India/Pakistan). I also did the Harappa test and it came back with a similar percentage of DNA from Baloch (North India/Pakistan). I was just wondering if anyone knows where this comes from in Greeks? I am 1/4 Greek and its says I have 6% West Central Asian, .66% South Asian, and 1.78% Southwest Asian. The Harappa test says I have 8.3% Baloch. I am certain this comes from my Greek ancestry because other family members have had similar results. Does this come from Turks, Gypsies, Neolithic Farmers, Indo-Europeans, or somewhere else? Any other Greeks have similar results? I also have signicant Caucasus admixture (12.56%), but I do not know if this came from my Greek ancestors.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,115

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by JQP4545 View Post
    I just did the Eurogenes K13 Admixture test and it came back with significant portions of DNA from West Central Asia (North India/Pakistan). I also did the Harappa test and it came back with a similar percentage of DNA from Baloch (North India/Pakistan). I was just wondering if anyone knows where this comes from in Greeks? I am 1/4 Greek and its says I have 6% West Central Asian, .66% South Asian, and 1.78% Southwest Asian. The Harappa test says I have 8.3% Baloch. I am certain this comes from my Greek ancestry because other family members have had similar results. Does this come from Turks, Gypsies, Neolithic Farmers, Indo-Europeans, or somewhere else? Any other Greeks have similar results? I also have signicant Caucasus admixture (12.56%), but I do not know if this came from my Greek ancestors.
    your numbers look normal for a Greek
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

    when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    05-06-12
    Posts
    29


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    your numbers look normal for a Greek
    The problem is that my results on 23andMe are completely European, so I don't know which one is more accurate.

  4. #4
    Regular Member PaschalisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-01-12
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    135

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-CTS9320
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Greece



    Here are my k13 results:

    North European 29.03%
    West African -
    Mediterranean 32.46%
    Northeast African -
    North Eurasian -
    South Asian -
    Southwest Asian 6.30%
    Pygmy -
    Caucasus 21.08%
    East Siberian 0.95%
    East Asian -
    Amerindian -
    West Central Asian 10.12%

    Greeks tend to have a high Caucasus percentage in general.

  5. #5
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    19,488


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by PaschalisB View Post
    Here are my k13 results:

    North European 29.03%
    West African -
    Mediterranean 32.46%
    Northeast African -
    North Eurasian -
    South Asian -
    Southwest Asian 6.30%
    Pygmy -
    Caucasus 21.08%
    East Siberian 0.95%
    East Asian -
    Amerindian -
    West Central Asian 10.12%

    Greeks tend to have a high Caucasus percentage in general.

    Are there published population averages in this project? One of the best ways to analyze your results is to compare them to those of the average person of your ethnicity. If they aren't published, I would suggest you run the Dodecad calculators at gedmatch. Dienekes provides spreadsheets with population averages for most of his calculators at the dodecad.blogspot.com site.

    And these results don't, in my opinion, in any way contradict the finding of 23andme that you are 100% European. 23andme claims that their analysis is valid for the past 500 years. Given the results for southern Italians as just one example, I think it may actually go back at least 1500-2000 years, back to a time when the concept of "Europe" as such didn't even exist.

    The calculators are attempting to show admixture from thousands of years ago, at least back to the Neolithic era, in order to understand the peopling of western Eurasia, but the clusters that form still mask, in my view, much of the really ancient admixture, if the results of the Reich/Patterson group at Harvard are any indication. Unfortunately, there is no calculator currently available, to my knowledge, that really peels back the onion to show the actual founding admixture events for Europeans as reflected in individuals and "ethnicities" , although I think Dienekes' Globe 4 analysis comes pretty close.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...4ZUNJRUE#gid=1

    Of course, in this analysis, no European group is 100% "European" or what the more racially minded might call Caucasoid.

  6. #6
    Regular Member PaschalisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-01-12
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    135

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-CTS9320
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Greece



    Eurogenes don't publish averages for most of their calculators, but I've seen that other greeks have similar results according to what they publish in forums. Compare with the map here
    http://www.eupedia.com/europe/autoso...html#Caucasian

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    05-06-12
    Posts
    29


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by PaschalisB View Post
    Eurogenes don't publish averages for most of their calculators, but I've seen that other greeks have similar results according to what they publish in forums. Compare with the map here
    Thanks! But on the Gedrosia map, for example, does this mean that the Irish are 10% Persian?

  8. #8
    Regular Member PaschalisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-01-12
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    135

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-CTS9320
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Greece



    This thread explains a lot about the Gedrosia admixture
    http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...he-Middle-East

  9. #9
    Elite member
    Join Date
    14-11-10
    Posts
    2,508

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a1a1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV2a1 +G13708A

    Ethnic group
    Kurdish
    Country: Germany



    Thats not NorthIndian, as its name suggests it is a West-Central Asian (Iranian?) component similar to Gedrosia.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    05-02-13
    Posts
    66

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a1a (R-L1029)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H14

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Cyprus



    I beleive this admixture is linked to the Dodecad 'Gedrosia' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedrosia) admixture. Check the Gedrosia autosomal map here (http://www.eupedia.com/europe/autoso..._dodecad.shtml). A way to disentangle if it is a recent or ancient migration is to determine if this is present at similar levels in other Greeks as well. If it does, then it is likely an ancient admixture. Here are my Eurogenes k13 results by the way. Please note that as a Greek Cypriot, I have much less North European and slightly more Asian admixture than a typical mainland Greek:

    Population
    North European 8.04%
    West African -
    Mediterranean 33.97%
    Northeast African 1.42%
    North Eurasian -
    South Asian 1.59%
    Southwest Asian 11.39%
    Pygmy 0.08%
    Caucasus 26.40%
    East Siberian -
    East Asian 0.60%
    Amerindian -
    West Central Asian 16.49%
    Last edited by Alexandros; 01-11-13 at 19:02. Reason: spelling mistake

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •