Rise and fall of civilizations due to climate change.

You are right climate change also cause different issues of health, diseases, food production and consumption, environmental changes, clothing change and many more things.
All these factors play an important role in the life of people and such the whole civilizations turned changed.

Is that the case for specific regions or for the whole civilization in general? because I think this is a little exaggerated^^ I'm not saying this won't be the case one day, I just don't like unnecessary panicing too much;)

I'd like to add a resource to this thread, think this is interesting for some of you...some stats and facts abour the climate change:

http://www.statista.com/topics/1148/global-climate-change/

best regards!

Is that the case for specific regions or for the whole civilization in general? because I think this is a little exaggerated^^ I'm not saying this won't be the case one day, I just don't like unnecessary panicing too much;)

I'd like to add a resource to this thread, think this is interesting for some of you...some stats and facts abour the climate change:

http://www.statista.com/topics/1148/global-climate-change/

best regards!
I'm not worry about CO2 level. When you look closer through history of man, you will noticed that cooling and draughts where the cause of civilizations collapse, while climate warming was behind expansion of population and rise of civilizations. Generally speaking cooling was bad and warming was good.

It was very true, if it comes the cycles of civilizations, till second half of last millenium. This last Little Ice Age didn't stop European Civilization and its momentum. Traditionally, cold and dry weather of 15th to 18th century, should have been disastrous for Europe and brought collapse equivalent of Dark Ages. Instead though, european population was steadily growing, new technologies invented, sciences embraced, cities grew larger, public education started, industrial forces unleashed.
And with help of a big dose of Lactose Persistent genes, especially spreading like wildfire through northern parts of Europe in last 3 thousand of years. When crops failed, cows milk became the salvation for northern and central european farmers and their families. One cow can easily give 10 liters of milk a day. That's two per head for family of 5. As long as everyone is LP can receive 1,500 calories a day from full bodied milk, plus all the nutrients needed to sustain life. All needed is a cow and grass, or dry grass in winter, for this miracle to happen.

Agriculture emerged between 10 and 13000 years ago

8.jpg

"The Younger Dryas stadial, also referred to as the Big Freeze, was a 1,300 (± 70) year period of cold climatic conditions and drought which occurred between approximately 12,800 and 11,500 years BP (between 10,800 and 9500 BC)."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas

8.jpg

"The Younger Dryas stadial, also referred to as the Big Freeze, was a 1,300 (± 70) year period of cold climatic conditions and drought which occurred between approximately 12,800 and 11,500 years BP (between 10,800 and 9500 BC)."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younger_Dryas

Agriculture took off just after younger Dryas ended, when warm and moist period started.

Rise of Genghis Khan Linked to Unusual Rains in Mongolia

A new study of centuries-old tree core samples indicates an abrupt turn of the weather around the first decade of the 13th century. According to the findings of a team of scientists, published recently in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the region appears to have entered into a period of uncharacteristically strong rainfall around the year 1211, ushering in a decadelong period of heavy rain the likes of which Mongolia has not seen since.
The vast surplus of livestock and crops brought on by such advantageous conditions may have played a critical role in supporting the Great Khan's centralized authority and military ventures, at least in the early years of global conquest, the researchers believe.
"This is a new kind of thought," said Nicola Di Cosmo, a historian at the Institute for Advanced Study in New Jersey and co-author of the report. "If we can prove that you need a certain amount of productivity of land to support an expanded political establishment, we can start to explain why it lasted so long."

Agriculture, all but impossible in Mongolia in times of drought, could have resurfaced, as well, he said, lending stability to an economy previously dependent on livestock alone.
And an abundance of grass would likely have meant more horses. Horses were key to the Mongols' military tactics, so much so that each warrior was expected to have five mounts of his own.
"Energy flows from the bottom of an ecosystem, up the ladder of human society," said Pederson. "Even today, many people in Mongolia live just like their ancestors did."
The researchers aren't arguing that climate necessitated the Mongols' rise, of course. "Climate may have played a role, but it certainly wasn't the only thing shaping events," said Hessl. "Still, it's very interesting that our climate record appears to fit so well with the historical narrative."

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/rise-of-genghis-khan-linked-to-unusual-rains-in-mongolia/

This thread has been viewed 29783 times.

Back