ASD Anxiety and Autism

Twilight

Reaction score
Ethnic group
15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c7a
I have grown up with Anxiety as long as I can remember and tend to get paranoia, Interestingly enough Anxiety tends to overlap with Autism I've been finding though tons of articles and I have been wanting to bring this question up to Eupedia; What causes Anxiety in Autism. Thanks :):unsure:

I have grown up with Anxiety as long as I can remember and tend to get paranoia, Interestingly enough Anxiety tends to overlap with Autism I've been finding though tons of articles and I have been wanting to bring this question up to Eupedia; What causes Anxiety in Autism. Thanks :):unsure:

Autism, as I am sure you are already aware Twilight, is a disorder which can include many different symptoms, and has a broad range of severity.
Anxiety, however is not uncommon to a number of those with the disorder. It can be caused by any number of things, depending on the individual involved. Someone might get over anxious regarding social-interaction, someone else with a change to routine, crowds, animals, their job...there is any number of reasons as I have said.
The effects can also differ and effect you physically,... headache, nausea, sweating etc and also psychologically... lack of concentration, sleep disruption or obsessing etc.

A common factor to many with autism, is serotonin levels. When serotonin is reduced in the amygdala,[ a region in the subcortical brain that processes fear and anxiety] it`s activity increases, which in turn leads to more fear processing and can cause anxiety and depression.
However, whatever the cause, anxiety is unpleasant.
Do you keep note of those things and instances that cause you to be anxious Twilight? Sometimes it helps if you keep a record. By knowing the things causing you, yourself, to be most anxious can be a good way for you with your doctor or health carer to find positive ways to help deal with it.

Autism, as I am sure you are already aware Twilight, is a disorder which can include many different symptoms, and has a broad range of severity.
Anxiety, however is not uncommon to a number of those with the disorder. It can be caused by any number of things, depending on the individual involved. Someone might get over anxious regarding social-interaction, someone else with a change to routine, crowds, animals, their job...there is any number of reasons as I have said.
The effects can also differ and effect you physically,... headache, nausea, sweating etc and also psychologically... lack of concentration, sleep disruption or obsessing etc.

A common factor to many with autism, is serotonin levels. When serotonin is reduced in the amygdala,[ a region in the subcortical brain that processes fear and anxiety] it`s activity increases, which in turn leads to more fear processing and can cause anxiety and depression.
However, whatever the cause, anxiety is unpleasant.
Do you keep note of those things and instances that cause you to be anxious Twilight? Sometimes it helps if you keep a record. By knowing the things causing you, yourself, to be most anxious can be a good way for you with your doctor or health carer to find positive ways to help deal with it.

No not really, but I have made attempts to do a journal however I think my parents have on the account of them saying "Whenever Twilight doesn't take his meds, he tends to get paranoid and antsy" but not a bad idea, I could probably see if I could get myself a notebook or something from the store and try again :)

No not really, but I have made attempts to do a journal however I think my parents have on the account of them saying "Whenever Twilight doesn't take his meds, he tends to get paranoid and antsy" but not a bad idea, I could probably see if I could get myself a notebook or something from the store and try again :)

Good step. Sometimes keeping a list of the times or things that make you feel most anxious, can be a way to help you and your health carer look at positive ways you might manage them. You can also keep note to remind you when certain medication is due and when you have taken it.
You seem to have good family support, so that`s great. Good luck Twilight...:)

Severe anxiety is many times found in people who are autistic. It's an outgrowth of poor social adjustment strategies.

I dont mean Im not surprised you found out later as anything bad about you. I meant I think testing is more thorough now and people are more aware of autism.

This thread has been viewed 7755 times.

Back