R1a Japanese distribution & Kofun period?

It could even be a possibility that the men of the Japanese Imperial family carry haplogroup R1a!
Interestingly Coon noted an Europid/Caucasoid influence amongst Japanese upper-classes.
He called their phenotype the "Aristocratic type" as opposed to the "Peasant type".
In fact Japan may be quite similar to India in that regard.
This is why more studies should be done on that country.
They should first test the aDNA to evaluate the genetic composition and evolution of Japan from the Jomon period to (at least) the early Shogunates(Middle Ages).
Then they should compare the genetic make-up(Y-DNA,autosomal,mtDNA) of modern Japanese with noble surnames with those with non-noble surnames.
Of course not mentioning the potential of discovering higher recent(post-1500's) European and South Asian admixture in the general population(especially in coastal cities known to have had such foreign influences like Kobe or Nagasaki).

In any way?? I am asking whether there are any studies showing how much R1a exists in the Japanese population and where it is most present. To say it doesn't exist is what I referred to as the 'open and closed book', for it most probably exists, even if it only flowed from Buddhist evangelization or drunk Western sailors....

Buddhist missionaries is actually a good hypothesis. Buddhism started as a sort of reform movement in Hinduism or at least sprung up in a Hindu-influenced context, and Hinduism is an Indo-European "Sky Father" religion. That makes it likely that IE people were among the first to hear about Buddhism and perhaps become many of its earliest follows.

As for the drunk Western sailors, I'd imagine that the problem may have more been due to drunk Japanese barmaids who were so intoxicated that they thought that sleeping with Western sailors was actually a good idea....

I really doubt I guess they kind of look European but Y DNa and mtDNA studies show they are Mongliod I am sure austomal DNA will show no traces of any European or Caucasian blood. If you shave them they look east Asian its their big beards that cover their face that make them look European.

Perhaps the Ainu are a mix of Steppe and Chinese ancestry, making them look not-quite-European but more European than their neighbors, all other things being equal. We know that modern Europeans are a mix of Steppe/West Asian peoples (R1a, R1b), Paleolithic Europeans (I1, I2), and other peoples. Maybe the "European-like" features that we see in Ainu are actually features of the original Steppe people that were spread in both directions. Ainu (and Japanese in general) presumably are not going to have a significant amount of WHG and other stone-age European admixture, making it unlikely that they would, say, look like French people.

The Altaic character of Japanese is more evident in the grammar than in the actual vocabulary. Japanese, Korean and Mongolian are agglutinative languages, like all Altaic (including Turkic), Uralic and Native American languages (in other words all languages originating in Siberia).

Maciamo can the agglutinative nature be a sufficient to classification? My impression is that agglutinativeness was widespread. Dravidians, Sumerian, Hurrians, Hattic and some of Caucasian languages are/were agglutinative.

About some ancient DNA from Japan.

https://heritageofjapan.wordpress.c...o-more-heterogeneous-than-previously-thought/
[h=3]Ancient Jomon people not like present-day East Asians[/h]

An interesting summary.

http://www.wa-pedia.com/history/origins_japanese_people.shtml

One of comments.
The newest research revealed Yayoi people came from Southern China and North Vietnam by sea route, far older time than 3rd CE BC. The origin of Y-Haplogroup O2b is not Korea, but Southern China and North Vietnam. Yaoi people from South China/Vietnam brought Hydroponic culture(wet rice culture)of rice to Japan and it did not come through Korea for there are no evidence of Hydroponic culture of rice in North China and North Korea. DNA sampling of ancient rice found in soil in Japan proved that they came directly from Southern China/Vietnam.

People in Vietnam(14%) and Indonesia still carry pretty high level of O2b. These people travelled up to North on boats and they came in waves, not at once. To prove this, the people who has the highest O2b in the world are living in Islands of MIyakojima and those area of OKINAWA. O2b is rare in mainland China except for Manchu.

and another that is different. So the question of route O2b is not resolved it seems.

and moreover, the birth of haplo O2b estimated 4000~10000 years ago from southern china or southern manchuria. this date is very late among major haplogroups. but considering its population, the majority of yayoi people seemed to be come from korean peninsula.

well though the route of O2b is uncertain(from southern china? or southern manchuria?), at least it is certain. O2b is mainly distribute among korean, japanese and manchurian(but the haplo of manchurians is differerent by the regions-_-;), but rare among chinese.

The Altaic character of Japanese is more evident in the grammar than in the actual vocabulary. Japanese, Korean and Mongolian are agglutinative languages, like all Altaic (including Turkic), Uralic and Native American languages (in other words all languages originating in Siberia).

But I can think of a few words similar in Japanese and Mongolian. For example, black is kuro Japanese, qara in Mongolian, kara in Turkish.

Japanese is an extremely composite language. Its grammar is Altaic, its sounds and some of its vocabulary are Austronesian, its core vocabulary is native Japanese but most of the technical, religious, political, academic or other formal words are from Chinese.

Maciamo can the agglutinative nature be a sufficient to classification? My impression is that agglutinativeness was widespread. Dravidians, Sumerian, Hurrians, Hattic and some of Caucasian languages are/were agglutinative....

Keep in mind that grammatical features can sometimes arise in languages due to either contact with another language with that feature, or due to natural language change. For example, Farsi is an Indo-European language but lacks grammatical gender. Does the fact that it lacks grammatical gender mean that it really should be reclassified as a Uralic language or a member of another family whose members typically lack gender? Of course not. Maybe speakers of Old Persian had sustained contact with a population that spoke a language without grammar, and grammatical gender became lost as a compromise between the populations as the non-Persian speakers increasingly adopted Persian.

R1a is not actually THAT rare in China. Central Asian peoples of Indo-European and Indo-Iranian origin entered China and were assimilated into the Han. I remember seeing a guy on ranhaer from Hebei who had R1b. Chinese Muslims can have J1 and J2 due to assimilation of Persians and Arabs who brought Islam to China by both land and sea routes.

​I've also known of the Gokturks and Xiongnu having R1a. Some descendants of the Gokturks are R1a-Z93.

Is maybe something new known about the amount of R1 in native Japan?

R1a is common among nomadic tribes in western China, while it is completely absent in Japan. The Kofun culture likely originated from southwestern Korea. A famous mural tomb painting from the Kofun era obviously shows its Korean roots as the four noble ladies wear Paekche clothes. The Kofun period emperors belonged to haplogroup D1b1a2, assuming that all Japanese emperors had the same Y-DNA lineage.

hitomaro-period-of-history.jpg

This thread has been viewed 25963 times.

Back