New map of mtDNA haplogroup U3

I meant some other Czarnoles (not in Poland) by Prypiat/middle Dnieper, basically Zarubintsy culture.

Yes, I know, you were referring to this Chernoles. But I don’t know any connection between this culture and Slavs. Zarubintsy culture is descendant of Pomeranian culture not Chernoles or Milograd.

Yes, I know, you were referring to this Chernoles. But I don’t know any connection between this culture and Slavs. Zarubintsy culture is descendant of Pomeranian culture not Chernoles or Milograd.

I think the explanation may lie in the fact that the Ashkenazim are a very bottle-necked population, with an extremely small group of founding members, and an even smaller group of mtDNA founding "mothers". A big percentage of their surviving mtDNA lines stem from just four women. Some mtdna lineages typical of the Near East, or Europe, for that matter, and especially if they were minor lineages, either weren't part of the founding population, or drifted out.

In think lots more ancient dna will clarify the picture, but we do have some already.

See...

U3 in pre-modern Europe has been found in:
Dnieper-Donets Ukraine-5474-5225 B.C.
LBK Neolithic in Germany-5,000 B.C.
Wielbark Culture Poland-0-300 A.D.
Skovgaard Denmark-200 A.D.
Zavalar-Kapolna Tomb Hungary-1100 A.D.
Cumanian people in Hungary (a semi Nomadic Turkic speaking people)-1200 A.D.

None of the above has anything to do with Ashkenazim; they didn't even exist yet, and they certainly weren't in those European areas at that time.

Ed. There is also a sample dated to 4490-4335 B.C. in Israel, when there weren't yet any Jews there either.

What an insane thread, U3 Jewish?, at least the poster above had the sense to look at the ancient DNA discovered thus far.

What an insane thread, U3 Jewish?, at least the poster above had the sense to look at the ancient DNA discovered thus far.

Sorry? I'm rather unsure of the meaning of your rather cryptic remark...but, yes, I think the idea is totally unsupported by any scientific data, as I tried to show. The amount of ancient dna we have at our disposal is infinitesimally small...until more becomes available, the most we can do is make logical deductions from the available modern data as correlated to history and archaeology.

U3 is actually quite heavy in % across Syria, Iraq ,Jordan , parts of turkey as we can see by this map.

Sorry? I'm rather unsure of the meaning of your rather cryptic remark...but, yes, I think the idea is totally unsupported by any scientific data, as I tried to show. The amount of ancient dna we have at our disposal is infinitesimally small...until more becomes available, the most we can do is make logical deductions from the available modern data as correlated to history and archaeology.

I was actually highlighting your post as the only sensible one as it used references to ancient DNA found so far, no criticism. I'm all for speculation but based on scientific evidence. What's next?, are we going to resurrect the previous silly theory that U3 is Roma!

I was actually highlighting your post as the only sensible one as it used references to ancient DNA found so far, no criticism. I'm all for speculation but based on scientific evidence. What's next?, are we going to resurrect the previous silly theory that U3 is Roma!

Apparently, I was in a sensitive mood today. Thanks for responding and putting me straight! :)

I think we're both coming from the same place. I don't come onto these sites to read opinions pulled out of the air or based on some agenda...I read them to learn something...a new piece of evidence or a new way of looking at the evidence...and, hopefully, to contribute something similar of my own.

Hello all, I am a new member and This thread has been quite informative to me; I recently tested my mtDNA (HVR1 & HVR1) and my results are U3. I will have to wait for one of my brothers to do a Ytest to find out what our paternal Ydna is. There doesn't seem to be a whole heck of a lot of info out there on U3. If I had to guess (Based on my matches) my subclade of U3 is likely U3a1c...(Majority of my matches are either U3 or U3a1c). My Maternal line goes right to Ireland (County Kerry at the turn of the 1800s).

Is there any more info about U3 anyone could tell me?

My Heritage on my Mother's side is of Ashkenazic Jewry. My MtDNA Haplogroup is U3a1a.

I would really like to understand how & when the U3a Haplogroup diversified,and were separated from their people before the bottleneck occurred better. What are their true Ethnic Origins???

Could it also be possible that some of these Tribes were enslaved & conquered by either the Assyrians,Persians,Greeks,and or Romans,and that is brought them into those areas? Has there been any new Mappings,or Research Theories that may provide even more clarity and info???
TIA

My Heritage on my Mother's side is of Ashkenazic Jewry. My MtDNA Haplogroup is U3a1a.

I would really like to understand how & when the U3a Haplogroup diversified,and were separated from their people before the bottleneck occurred better. What are their true Ethnic Origins???

Could it also be possible that some of these Tribes were enslaved & conquered by either the Assyrians,Persians,Greeks,and or Romans,and that is brought them into those areas? Has there been any new Mappings,or Research Theories that may provide even more clarity and info???
TIA

U3 is probably almost 40,000 years ago. Today it is most popular in West Asia, and specifically around where Israel is. It can get as high as 5% there. The vast majority of U3 in Europe and West Asia is U3a. U3 is pretty much exclusive to the Western side of Eurasia, but very rare outside of West Asia. Frequency doesn't equal origin. U3 may or may not have originated and spread out of West Asia. There are all kinds of possibilities and there hasn't been much research on U3 to get an idea what its history is.

In Pre-Historic European mtDNA(there are 100s and 100s of samples from every major era and people group from Pre-Historic Europe) U3 has only popped up in Early Neolithic farmers from about 7,000 years ago. They were immigrants from Anatolia/Turkey who acquired maybe around 5-10% native European ancestry. So, this supports a West Asian origin of U3, and a Neolithic introduction of U3 into Europe.

Your Ashkenazi lineage(U3a1a) is almost certainly Near Eastern. IMO, it's no coincidence your mom is Ashkenazi and she belongs to a typical West Asian lineage. The only way to confirm where your U3a1a comes from is if you take a FMS(full sequence of mitochondrial DNA) test, and compare your results to FMS results of U3a1as from all over West Eurasia.

My Albanian cousin is Mtdna U3b1

There are 3 main U3a1 subclades in Europe separated since 3,000 years ago: U3a1a (Eastern Europe, Baltic area), U3a1b (Central Europe, South Germany) and U3a1c (Western Europe, British Isles and North Portugal). U3b is near eastern but some british gypsies belong to this Middle Eastern clade. However, most of european gypsies belong to basal (Caucasian) U3*.

bmcevolbiol.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12862-017-0964-5
Here you must compare haplotypic diversity among U3 subclades (table 3). There are a clade distribution by regions In table 2 also.

My mtDNA haplogroup (LivingDNA) is U3b.
I was wondering what sort of tests there may be in order to dig deeper than that...

After more testing results having come in, U3b2a it is...

This thread has been viewed 65520 times.

Back