Genographic results ... Help!

pensorapido

Reaction score
I just received my Genographic results and I am quite sceptical about them... :useless:

By maternal line my haplogroup is J1c2 and my paternal line is R-L21. Till now no doubt, despite the geographical dispersion of these two groups. :indifferent:

What is puzzling me, is that the result refer 2% of my DNA as originating in a geographical area which I am not aware of having ancestors in any of the both lines. :petrified:

By other hand, if I had ancestors with these characteristics in the last 6 generations, I think the percentage value would be higher than 2%. :unsure:

Someone can help me to clarify this?

If ancestry goes back 6 generations, then we are talking about 64 people- great-great-great-great-grandparents. If just one of those people adds a unique genetic component, then that would be close to 2%. At least that's what seems to make sense to me; I'm no geneticist.

Saldimaria

If ancestry goes back 6 generations, then we are talking about 64 people- great-great-great-great-grandparents. If just one of those people adds a unique genetic component, then that would be close to 2%. At least that's what seems to make sense to me; I'm no geneticist.

Let's also take into account that these 64 people have admixtures of their own. Let's say you're 98% Blue and 2% Red.

In Saldimaria's example, out of your 64 ancestors, there would have been 63 Blues and 1 Red. But there can also have been, say 20 people who were 30% Red and 70% Blue, and 44 people who were 90% Blue and 10% Red (these numbers are a wild guess, but you see the point). And there could have been that all of these 64 people were already 98% Blue and 2% Red, in which case it's likely that you've inherited a more or less similar admixture...

What i'm trying to say is that unless this Red population is from a really different place than the Blue one with no chance of previous genetic material exchange over the few hundred years, there's a good chance that they were already mixed a bit, which can further complicate the interpretation of your results. A good way to get definitive answers would be to perform a genealogical search.

This thread has been viewed 15285 times.

Back