Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Gypsies Eastern European Genetically?

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 0%

Are Gypsies Eastern European Genetically?

I had a test done with 23andMe and my results show that I have some Eastern Euro DNA. I'm not sure where this came from because my known ancestors are from Western Europe (Ireland and Germany). Does this mean I could have had ancestors who were Gypsies?

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Do you think that Eastern Europeans are all Gypsies? Maybe you think that only Gypsies could travel from East to West?
    It is estimated that there is 10 million Gypsies in Europe. Total population of Europe is around 750 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people_by_country
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Quote Originally Posted by JQP4545 View Post
    I had a test done with 23andMe and my results show that I have some Eastern Euro DNA. I'm not sure where this came from because my known ancestors are from Western Europe (Ireland and Germany). Does this mean I could have had ancestors who were Gypsies?
    What % did they give you.?
    I was given 0.01% and they said anything below 4% is irrelevant
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Overall activity: 91.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

2 members found this post helpful.
    Eastern European DNA in Western Europe is usually of Indo-European origin (linked to Y-happlogroup R1a). Germanic people have a higher percentage of Eastern European admixture than Celtic people. You can get a better idea with this map.

If you are referring to the Dodecad admixture, most Gypsies should have very little if any Eastern European admixture. They are originally South Asian, and Dravidian to be more specific (Y-haplogroup H1a), and the admixtures they acquired through intermarriages is mostly Caucasian/West Asian and Balkanic/Mediterranean (Y-haplogroups E1b, G2a, I2a1b, J2), not Balto-Slavic (R1a).
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 439

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b1b

Ethnic group
    Hungarian

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...udy-shows.html

You're welcome!

(For the record it's really hard not to say anything wrong about your mental status for asking this question...)

Level

Quote Originally Posted by BakodiP View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...udy-shows.html

You're welcome!

(For the record it's really hard not to say anything wrong about your mental status for asking this question...)
    Is it a dumb question? It's certainly possible, and I would find it fascinating to have a Roma ancestor.

Level

Don't most Europeans have ancestry from Northwest India? I believe it is called the Gedrosia component. So how could I detect this on GEDMatch?

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

1 members found this post helpful.
    Don't most Europeans have ancestry from Northwest India? I believe it is called the Gedrosia component. So how could I detect this on GEDMatch?
    Not from Northwest India, but from the region around modern Iran. Dienekes named the admixture "Gedrosian" but it is an arbitrary choice. It could have been called 'Persian' or 'Iranian', or even better 'Caspian', as it reaches high frequencies in Central Asia too, and would exceed the frequency in India were it not for the European/Russian and East Asian admixtures that were brought by invaders between the Bronze Age and the Middle Ages.

Unfortunately I don't have any data on Gypsy autosomal DNA, but their primary admixture in the K12b would surely be South Asian, not Gedrosian, as they originated in South India. If they have some Gedrosian it would have been picked up along the way together with Caucasian/West Asian and European admixtures, as their mixed Y-DNA and mtDNA suggests.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b1b

Ethnic group
    Hungarian

Is it a dumb question? It's certainly possible, and I would find it fascinating to have a Roma ancestor.
    Yeah it would be fascinating, but how could you thought it could be a considerable possiblility and not just whisful thinking? Because you have x% Eastern European admixture? Oh come on! You should have read something (even wikipedia article) about Gypsies before asking this question. By asking it you just proved that you know absolutly nothing about them, maybe some childhood stories from the Hunchback of Notre Dame and things like that...

Level

Yeah it would be fascinating, but how could you thought it could be a considerable possiblility and not just whisful thinking? Because you have x% Eastern European admixture? Oh come on! You should have read something (even wikipedia article) about Gypsies before asking this question. By asking it you just proved that you know absolutly nothing about them, maybe some childhood stories from the Hunchback of Notre Dame and things like that...
    I did do research and my research found that Gypsies are predominately mixed with Europeans. Some people reported that they were 70-90 percent Euro in ancestry and I though many came from Eastern Euro. Yes I know they came from India originally, but that was 1,000 or more years ago.

Banned Achievements:
    OverdriveThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 28

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV1b2

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Eastern European DNA in Western Europe is usually of Indo-European origin (linked to Y-happlogroup R1a). Germanic people have a higher percentage of Eastern European admixture than Celtic people. You can get a better idea with this map.
    Germanic people have higher percentage of Eastern European auDNA is due to genetic exchange with Slavic people. Germanic are neighbors of Slavic peoples for thousands of years, both groups are living next to each other, while Celtic groups are more located to West-Southwest. So, that why Slavic peoples have Germanic DNA in them and Germanic people have Slavic DNA in them. It has nothing to do with Indo-European auDNA. Celts live much further away from Slavic homeland. I’m sure that European Gypsies have European auDNA!

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b1b

Ethnic group
    Hungarian

I did do research and my research found that Gypsies are predominately mixed with Europeans. Some people reported that they were 70-90 percent Euro in ancestry and I though many came from Eastern Euro. Yes I know they came from India originally, but that was 1,000 or more years ago.
    I can assure you that Gypsies and Eastern Europeans never mixed in a great scale. I don't know where you've found those people who reported that, but it's surely false. Until recent times ('50-'60s) Gypsies haven't settled in a permanent place, they were always on the move, mostly get by on minor craftworks or criminal activities. The old Eastern European society would have never accepted (even just a sexual) a relationship between a Gypsy and a member of the majority population. Note that at those times it was impossible to marry if the two lovers weren't in the same sect. International marriages were limited also. Multinational settlements were clearly splitted by ethnic and sectarian boundaries. Intercourses could be occured two ways: rape or pay for sex. But due to their low reputance it not happened many times.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Quote Originally Posted by Goga View Post
    Germanic people have higher percentage of Eastern European auDNA is due to genetic exchange with Slavic people. Germanic are neighbors of Slavic peoples for thousands of years, both groups are living next to each other, while Celtic groups are more located to West-Southwest. So, that why Slavic peoples have Germanic DNA in them and Germanic people have Slavic DNA in them. It has nothing to do with Indo-European auDNA. Celts live much further away from Slavic homeland. I’m sure that European Gypsies have European auDNA!
    The Dutch, Belgians, Scots, Norwegians and Icelanders surely had quite limited genetic exchange with Slavic people as they are not direct neighbours with any of them. Anyway I seriously doubt than cross-cultural intermarriages between regions that never not belonged to the same country would account for more than a tiny fraction (<1%) of all DNA in a population. Political borders and language barriers are strong deterrents to intermarriages. If that did not convince you, just check the facts: over 95% of R1a in Germanic countries in of non-Slavic origin (subclades L664 and Z284), and the 5% that could be Slavic is found almost exclusively in areas that were part of the Corded ware culture or the Holy Roman Empire (most Germany), or Austria because of its own empire comprising many Slavic regions.

Banned Achievements:
    OverdriveThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 28

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    HV1b2

Anglo-Saxons in Britain and Germanic Saxon & Batavi tribe in the Netherlands migrated out of Germany / Central Europe in the 5th century AD. So they were already mixed with the Slavic tribes. Also there has been not only a genetic exchange, but also a cultural exchange between Slavic and Scandinavian tribes for ages.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b1b

Ethnic group
    Hungarian

Quote Originally Posted by Goga View Post
    Anglo-Saxons in Britain and Germanic Saxon & Batavi tribe in the Netherlands migrated out of Germany / Central Europe in the 5th century AD. So they were already mixed with the Slavic tribes. Also there have been not only a genetic exchange, but also a cultural exchange between Slavic and Scandinavian tribes for ages.
    Cultural exchange happens much more easier than genetic exchange... Maybe proto-Slavs had some connections with Eastern Germanic tribes, but I don't think it has a genetic relevance. Intermarriages are quite uncommon during those times (only exception the nobility maybe), and there weren't any large scale wars where a big number of rapes could happen, and uniqe love stories have no relevance of course. Maybe slave trade could alter my view but at this part of Europe it was not a widespread phenomenon.

Level

Cultural exchange happens much more easier than genetic exchange... Maybe proto-Slavs had some connections with Eastern Germanic tribes, but I don't think it has a genetic relevance. Intermarriages are quite uncommon during those times (only exception the nobility maybe), and there weren't any large scale wars where a big number of rapes could happen, and uniqe love stories have no relevance of course. Maybe slave trade could alter my view but at this part of Europe it was not a widespread phenomenon.
    So then where does the Eastern European come from?

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b1b

Ethnic group
    Hungarian

So then where does the Eastern European come from?
    I think most probably Slavic origin. Nearly whole Eastern Europe is of Slavic origin. But I think it's more recent than 500 A.D. Look at the autosomal maps at the Genetic section here on Eupedia.

Level

I think most probably Slavic origin. Nearly whole Eastern Europe is of Slavic origin. But I think it's more recent than 500 A.D. Look at the autosomal maps at the Genetic section here on Eupedia.
    But I don't have any known Slavic ancestors, the closest would be Bavarian.

Banned Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 15.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a

Ethnic group
    Slavic, Vlach, Celto-Germanic

It is most likely what Maciamo said or it could be due to genetic drift from Slavic countries its either one of those. You don't have to have any known Slavic ancestors to show up as easter European, because you probably don't know that far back into your family tree. Our genes were inherited from hundreds to thousands of years ago. I also don't know why you would think it was gypsy, eastern European dna has nothing to do with Romani dna which comes from India. It does mean though that a percentage of your genes are in common with Slavic people, so you are related to them

Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    The Dutch, Belgians, Scots, Norwegians and Icelanders surely had quite limited genetic exchange with Slavic people as they are not direct neighbours with any of them. Anyway I seriously doubt than cross-cultural intermarriages between regions that never not belonged to the same country would account for more than a tiny fraction (<1%) of all DNA in a population. Political borders and language barriers are strong deterrents to intermarriages. If that did not convince you, just check the facts: over 95% of R1a in Germanic countries in of non-Slavic origin (subclades L664 and Z284), and the 5% that could be Slavic is found almost exclusively in areas that were part of the Corded ware culture or the Holy Roman Empire (most Germany), or Austria because of its own empire comprising many Slavic regions.
    That is not true. I have just checked frequencies from Underhill et al. (2009) these are results: Netherlands 40% of R1a is M458, South Sweden 11%, Denmark 8%, Germany 35%, Austria 20%, and Poland 55%. Look that it is only M458 and Z280 was not tested. I would rather tell that R1a in continental Germanics is in majority of Slavic origin, and especially in Germany and Netherlands in vast majority, while in Norwegians and English men it is absent or very rare.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by matbir View Post
    That is not true. I have just checked frequencies from Underhill et al. (2009) these are results: Netherlands 40% of R1a is M458, South Sweden 11%, Denmark 8%, Germany 35%, Austria 20%, and Poland 55%. Look that it is only M458 and Z280 was not tested. I would rather tell that R1a in continental Germanics is in majority of Slavic origin, and especially in Germany and Netherlands in vast majority, while in Norwegians and English men it is absent or very rare.
    23andMe is supposed to be accurate to modern borders right? So it shouldn't show ancient slavic. If I have Eastern European Ancestry that means the last 500 years, correct?

Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 289
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Maciamo posted map of east European admixture, according to this map Bavarians supposedly have between 15 and 30% of it. So that could be the answer of your question. I thing the borders have nothing to do with it.

5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 13.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Yes
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yes

Ethnic group
    German

North-West europeans with zero East-Euro ancestry? That would be a very artificial separation because east-west fst distance is very small in the north due to the large paleolithic and indo-european north-european component shared by both, the north east and north west.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by ElHorsto View Post
    North-West europeans with zero East-Euro ancestry? That would be a very artificial separation because east-west fst distance is very small in the north due to the large paleolithic and indo-european north-european component shared by both, the north east and north west.
    23andMe does not use prehistoric admixture that I am aware of. Some whose ancestors all came from Ireland should show up as 100% British/Irish on 23andMe.

Level

Would you like me to do another test on GEDMatch and share the results?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast