New map of mtDNA haplogroup HV

Thanks for the links, Sile.

As for your other post, I also get Romanian and Bulgarian. They are third, however, after Italians (North Italians and Tuscans) and Spaniards, but I think that's to be expected for a Northwest Italian versus a Northeast Italian.

I'm not sure that this affinity is because of Balkan peoples being brought into the Roman empire...I think the gene flow from the Balkans into Italy has been pretty constant until about 400 B.C. according to Ralph and Coop, and then some movement in the medieval era that may be due to the Arbereshe.

Thank you for this absolutely excellent and very helpful map of the HV haplogroup. I was wondering if you (or any other subscribers) could cast some light on my enquiry please. I can't understand why if HV is the ancestor of the prolific European group H and also V, then there are so few HV's in Europe please? What happened to them? Many thanks.

being can there are two or three origins in this expansion, but I suspect Etruscan (Calabre) then Alains and Avars, but in part its extension in Bulgaria and Ukraine I think of the Turkish with Ottoman empire or it could it be more ancient and go back up to the Neolithic or even before?

I'm HV. My maternal line is from the Tosco-Emilian Appenines, on the emilian side (Modena). That area was historically inhabited by ligurians, etruscans, gauls, romans. What population could have most likely contributed to my family line? Or can it be even older - paleolithic maybe?

some sub branches of HV are definitely Indo European. HV1 and HV2 were found in Scythian burials. Especially HV2 seems to have an exclusive Indo-European (Satem?) origin. It is found as far East as Xingjang, the Altais, in Eastern Europe among Slovaks, in Iran among Kurds, Baloch and Gilakis, in individuals of North India-Uttar Pradesh and in Scandinavia among Swedish individuals.

I'm HV. My maternal line is from the Tosco-Emilian Appenines, on the emilian side (Modena). That area was historically inhabited by ligurians, etruscans, gauls, romans. What population could have most likely contributed to my family line? Or can it be even older - paleolithic maybe?

MtDNA is even more difficult to link to specific ancient populations than is yDNA. One coding region difference mutation can separate two clusters of a specific mtDNA clade of a haplogroup by thousands of years and who knows what migration groups.

For example, my closest mtDNA match is an American of British Isles ancestry. We are both within a specific branch of U2e. Yet, after having our complete FGS mtDNA results analyzed, we discovered that our most recent common maternal line ancestress likely lived around 1500 to 1000 years ago. It could even stretch to 2000 years ago, or longer.

Specifically as to HV and the Etruscans, yes, HV has been found in ancient Etruscan samples, but it also has a strong presence in parts of Italy, like Sicily and Calabria, which were never settled by the Etruscans. It could very likely just be Neolithic in Italy in most cases, but it could have been carried by other peoples as well.

If we ever got some complete mtDNA analysis of Etruscan remains, (none of the studies that have been done so far are of any worth whatsoever, in my opinion, as they are usually only HVRI sequences, and they are in addition badly done and analyzed ) or of other ancient remains in Italy, and if someone had a complete FGS done, then some logical conclusions might be drawn, but not until then.

^I see. I read somewhere that a cro-magnon skeleton from 25,000 years ago was recently found in Southern Italy. Researchers determined he probably carried haplogroup HV. Maybe my ancestors are even correlated to this "guy"... Hard to say unfortunately.

This thread has been viewed 71344 times.

Back