New map of mtDNA haplogroup L

mtDNA L is actually quite low in Sicily much like the Mediterranean (Italian/Crete/Cypriot) range/average of 1%-3%;
In contrast to the higher Atlantic Spain and Portugal;

Sicily -
Sicily [106 samples / Cali et al 2003] = 0.9%
Sicily [105 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 1.9%
Sicily [169 samples / Plaza et al 2003] = 0.6%

Italy -
Tuscany [322 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 1.9%
Marche [813 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 0.9%
Central Italy [83 samples / Plaza et al 2003] = 1.2%
Lombardy [177samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 0.0%
Piedmont [169 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 0.0%
Basilicata [92 samples / Ottoni et al 2009] = 2.2%
Apulia/Calabria [226 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 0.0%

Spain -
Iberia (Spain/Portugal) [310 samples / Casas et al 2006] = 7.4%
Central Spain [50 samples / Plaza et al 2003] = 4.0%
NW Spain [216 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 3.7%
Galicia [92 samples / Pereira et al 2005] = 3.3%
Spain (Prov. Zamora) [214 samples / Alvarez et al 2010] = 4.7%
Spain (Com. Sayago) [33 samples / Alvarez et al 2010] = 18.1%
Cordoba [108 samples / Casas et al 2006] = 8.3%
Catalonia [101 samples / Alvarez-Iglesias et al 2009] = 2.9%

Portugal -
Portugal [549 samples / Pereira et al 2005] = 5.8%
North Portugal [100 samples / Plaza et al 2003] = 5.0%
Central Portugal [82 samples / Pereira et al 2010] = 9.7%
South Portugal [195 samples / Brehm et al 2003] = 11.3%

@ Angela
The tripple town tests are quite common praxis for mtDNA L;

Tuscany [Achilli et al 2007]: Murlo 1.2% / Volterra 2.6% / Casentino 1.6%
Sicily [Romano et al 2003]: Sciacca 2.3% / Castelamare 0.8% / Ragusa 0.0% / Troina 0.0%
Portugal [Pereira et al 2010]: Coruche 8.7% / Pias 3.9% / Alcacer do Sal 22.0%

The high number for Portugal were given as with the Atlantic-slave trade and slaves from West Africa;
Pereira et al 2010 -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20737604

Is 18.1% for Spain correct or is it a misprint?

Absolutely correct;

Alvarez et al 2010
http://www.academia.edu/1270087/Mit...amics_and_substructure_of_the_Zamora_province

Sayago is a comarca in Zamora province (North Spain) and acc. to the study Zamora is total 4.7% and Sayago 18.2% mtDNA L;

As regards sub-Saharan Hgs (L1b, L2b, and L3b), the high frequency found in the southern regions of Zamora, 18.2% in Sayago and 8.1% in Bajo Duero, is comparable to that described for the South of Portugal, but it does not have any parallels with any other analyzed areas in the Northern part of Iberia (Pereira et al., 2005)

Rouda et alia also had 1.9 pc L for Andalusia.
Parts of Old Castile and Aragon (Zaragoza) may well have zero L or nearly so.

If parts of Sicily have zero mtdna L like Troina and Ragusa there may well be towns still to be analysed in Tuscany or Lazio which will have ZERO too.
Volterra, Murlo and the Casentino area are not exactly in the more populous and significant areas of Tuscany.

I'll bet the tiny 0.9 pc of mtdna L (8 out of 813 people) in the Marche is concentrated in just one or two communities of that region.

Until recent times Italy and Spain had numerous communities or areas with minimal interaction or intermarriage.,

But Luis was Portuguese and IIRC he was combating the castilian rubbish that all Portuguese where of African descent

That's what he claims he was. I suspect he was actually a Brazilian.

I would like to thank you all for your answers :)

Trying to summerize.. my mtDNA may come from these areas:

- Subsaharan Africa
- North Africa
- East Africa
- Middle East
- Canary Islands
- Iberian Peninsula

Am I correct?

No, you left out Italy, where you are from.

No, you left out Italy, where you are from.

But I want to know where mtDNA L3 is from originally; not where it spread... I don't think it was found in ancient times in Italy, unless Etruscans carried it (but Etruscans were actually from Anatolia)

I tried many calculators but the results are very different...
For Eurogenes K36 I'm also more Iberian than Italian which actually sounds kinda weird

mtDNA L is actually quite low in Sicily much like the Mediterranean (Italian/Crete/Cypriot) range/average of 1%-3%;
In contrast to the higher Atlantic Spain and Portugal;

Sicily -
Sicily [106 samples / Cali et al 2003] = 0.9%
Sicily [105 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 1.9%
Sicily [169 samples / Plaza et al 2003] = 0.6%

Italy -
Tuscany [322 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 1.9%
Marche [813 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 0.9%
Central Italy [83 samples / Plaza et al 2003] = 1.2%
Lombardy [177samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 0.0%
Piedmont [169 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 0.0%
Basilicata [92 samples / Ottoni et al 2009] = 2.2%
Apulia/Calabria [226 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 0.0%

Spain -
Iberia (Spain/Portugal) [310 samples / Casas et al 2006] = 7.4%
Central Spain [50 samples / Plaza et al 2003] = 4.0%
NW Spain [216 samples / Achilli et al 2007] = 3.7%
Galicia [92 samples / Pereira et al 2005] = 3.3%
Spain (Prov. Zamora) [214 samples / Alvarez et al 2010] = 4.7%
Spain (Com. Sayago) [33 samples / Alvarez et al 2010] = 18.1%
Cordoba [108 samples / Casas et al 2006] = 8.3%
Catalonia [101 samples / Alvarez-Iglesias et al 2009] = 2.9%

How "strange" that you are again cherry-picking and leaving out other studies that don't say what you want to hear. But don't worry, I am here to remind you of them every time I catch you manipulating things to promote your obvious agenda:

Spain -

Rhouda et al. 2006: (Central & Northeastern Spain) [686 samples] = 0%

(Andalusia) [158 samples] = 1.9%

Garcia et al. 2011: (Basque region) [462 samples] = 0%

Lopez-Parra et al. 2009 (Pyrenaic regions) [233 samples] = 0%

Italy -

Semino et al. 1989 (Sicily) [49 samples]: 4.40%

Plaza et al. 2003 (Southern Italy) [37 samples]: 8.1%

Brisighelli et al. 2012 (NW Italy) [100 samples]: 2%

But I want to know where mtDNA L3 is from originally; not where it spread... I don't think it was found in ancient times in Italy, unless Etruscans carried it (but Etruscans were actually from Anatolia)

It's originally from East Africa, as someone else already pointed out.

Yes, it was correct for that municipality, just like the "mysteriously" absent from his cherry-picked list Plaza et al. 2003 statement for southern Italy was absolutely correct and not a misprint either:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...elamaza/PDF/Desde_los_pilares_de_Hercules.pdf

L haplogroups are relatively infrequent in Italians (with a maximum of 8.1% in South Italians) and Iberians (with a maximum of 6.1% in Central Portuguese).

It's originally from East Africa, as someone else already pointed out.

I read East Africa as well.. then I read it was also present in ancient times in Middle East, Anatolia, Canary Islands and north Africa .. Some people also believe it is actually Eurasian

Brazil and Italy are far apart, different sides of the world

How "strange" that you are again cherry-picking and leaving out other studies that don't say what you want to hear. But don't worry, I am here to remind you of them every time I catch you manipulating things to promote your obvious agenda:

Spain -

Italy -

Yes, and others he also misteriously missed, like :

Latium (Central Italy) n=4/138 2.90% Achilli et al 2007
Volterra (Central-North Italy) n = 3/114 2.63% Achilli et al 2007

I unmasked this guy. Actually he was half French and half Berber, nothing to do with the Portuguese or Brazilian people. He joins 23andme, and he had the brilliant idea to post the same exact things in both forums. Not difficult to catch him.

Spain -

Italy -

Nobody1 is a valued member of this community, one who contributes research and analysis on many topics, from genetics, to history and archaeology, to linguistics, and in the context of discussions about many European countries.

This is in total contrast to you and your Iberian posse, who only grace us with your presence when Spain is mentioned, and then only in the hopes of proving that there is no African influence whatsoever in Iberia, an influence which is manifestly there for everyone to see in the mtDNA, yDNA, and particularly in the autosomal DNA. Your endeavor is therefore doomed to failure and merely makes you all look either dishonest or delusional, and ridiculous in either case. Ever heard of the term ethnic nihilists? I believe it, or something like it, was coined by Maciamo.

Oh, excuse me, if this current visit is any indication, you've moved beyond denying that these mtdna numbers exist (there is deafening silence about the autosomal results shown in recent papers, however) Now, you content yourselves with arguing that Italians have it too. Congratulations...we're seeing some progress in your deprogramming.

And please, spare us all the unending posts about papers that find mtDNA "L" in Italy. You've already directed Maciamo's attention to them in this thread, and have posted them again, and again, and again, in the hundreds, if not thousands, of boring, repetitive other posts on this topic here and elsewhere.

No one on this site, to my knowledge, denies that there is some mtDNA "L" in Italy. I certainly don't. I don't give a ***** behind about it, either. As to arguing about whether some particular study should show 1%, instead of 2-3%, with the aim of trying to somehow deny or minimize its existence whether in the abstract or in relationship to some other nationality, I can't imagine so demeaning myself.
And while I'm at it, stop posting papers on the Basques for these kinds of comparisons. Pick up some of the recent autosomal studies on Europe, and look up the SSA percentages, the EEF percentages, you name it. For whatever reason, you have a different profile than even Pais Vasco...a small minority of your population anyway...deal with it.

Really, and I mean this sincerely...you and your friends and many of the young people whose posts I have read on the topic of genetics have been led astray. I try to excuse this kind of behavior on the grounds of what I presume is the extreme youth of you and your friends...but at your age I was working 60-70 hours a week, which didn't leave me any time to obsess on that kind of nonsense even had I been at all inclined to those kinds of viewpoints. If the economy prevents that, go to school, broaden your mind and your horizons. Study the culture of your own country...that should be the source of your pride, not how many "European" or northwest European or Celtic or whatever genes you have...

what's wrong with L mtDNA anyway?

Volterra is one of the ancient 12 etruscan cities

you answered the query

Etruscan connection could be confirmed then

Etruscan connection could be confirmed then

I don't see how that follows. The fact that it's found there today doesn't mean it was necessarily brought by Etruscans perhaps 3,000 years ago; a lot of migrations occurred both before and after the Etruscans, if indeed they weren't "native" in whole or in great majority.

The only way that a link could be made in any way definitively would be if we had an Etruscan "L" mtDNA that was similar to the mtDNA L found there today. Unfortunately, even leaving aside the fact that there isn't enough resolution of the L3d found there, an actual ancient Etruscan sample that carries any "L" lineage has never been found.

This thread has been viewed 217814 times.

Back