Which country will be next EU member?

I agree with Albanopolis! The main reason why Turkey is not in the EU is its size. In a decade Turkey will have a bigger population than Germany. And the good old childless Europe is afraid... If they had been accepted to the EU twenty years ago, the AK Parti won't be in this position. They can't go West, they go East. By the way with Turkey EU could have a major role in the Middle East. Turkey has the connections and the knowledge, western EU has the money. And of course Turkey's EU membership is the last thing US or Russia want, 'cause with Turkey Europe could be a real actor in Weltpolitik.

There are grounds to Turkey joining EU, if Turks want, whether as a member or a country with special ties.

Last edited:
The difference is that the Germans have fully embraced democracy, whereas Turkey now has an islamist government that seems to be gradually moving towards creating a theocracy with the support of a slim majority of the Turkish people. Although most of the support for that idea comes from the hinterlands on the Asian side, that seems to give them enough votes to win elections, and the military no longer has the power to interfere. If Turkey had modernized a few decades sooner, it might have gotten into the EU before, but I think that now the internal politics of Turkey is probably an issue in terms of EU membership.

I do not think that the current government of Turkey is the main reason,but the fact that lots of countries from EU have problems with un-employment. And receiving Turkey in EU will mean even worse problems,for those countries,at un-employment.
Since average Turk would work cheaper than average EU member.

I agree with Albanopolis! The main reason why Turkey is not in the EU is its size. In a decade Turkey will have a bigger population than Germany.

Are you sure about that? From what I've always heard, the Turkish population is actually declining: http://www.statista.com/statistics/263708/unemployment-rate-in-turkey/

Personally I always believed Europeans considered that "Europe" stopped at the Bosphorus. The barriers for a Turkish entry to the EU were more to do with social issues, religion, integration, Middle Eastern immigration and Greek opposition.
[h=1][/h]

Are you sure about that? From what I've always heard, the Turkish population is actually declining: http://www.statista.com/statistics/263708/unemployment-rate-in-turkey/

Personally I always believed Europeans considered that "Europe" stopped at the Bosphorus. The barriers for a Turkish entry to the EU were more to do with social issues, religion, integration, Middle Eastern immigration and Greek opposition.

Turkey is projected to reach 100 mil in a decade or two. That's a big country.

Population Projections, 2013-2075

Population projections are very important for future policy-making. Determination of current population trends and predicting future population structure according to these trends provide making healthier policies. It should not be ignored that population projections are not a forecast but an application that shows the progress of the population in case of current population trends continue or reflecting the trends of other countries which lived similar processes previously after an analysis.

Population projections, which was last produced according to the results of 2008 Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) and 2008 Turkey Demographic and Health Survey, are renewed due to improvements on the birth and death data obtained from registration systems, formation of a serial of migration statistics from ABPRS and to meet the national and international needs. The study for the population projections were carried out by a working group including the participants from related university and institutions.

Population projections were made on the basis of the results of 2012 ABPRS and produced for both Turkey in total and 81 provinces. Besides, projections were made by single ages until the year 2075 for Turkey. In addition, for the first time in our country, much-needed population projections at provincial level produced officially and announced to the public with this news release. Changes in the population of all the provinces between 2013-2023 were projected by analyzing the trends of the demographic events and population projections were produced for all provinces. On the other hand alternative population projections reflecting different fertility variants were also made. The details of the study are provided in the tables of this news release.

The population of Turkey is expected to be 84 247 088 in 2023

The population of Turkey will be 84 247 088 in 2023. The population will increase slowly to the year 2050, and it will reach to its highest value with 93 475 575 people in this year. After 2050, the population will start to decline, and it is expected to be 89 172 088 in 2075.

Population of Turkey, 2013-2075

15844_img_1_383_14.02.20131905822979.JPG

In few decades Kurds will become a majority in Turkye. And as a Kurd I'm telling you that Kurds and Kurdistan don't belong in Europe. I just hope that one day there will be an Iranian economic union of Iranic nations with all Iranic states as members of that economic oil & gas rich Iranic union, from Kurdistan, Persia all the way to Tajikistan. I don't have anything against Western, Greek Constantinople, part of Turkye becoming part of the EU, BUT without Northern Kurdistan. I hope that this time the Europeans will not divide Kurdistan ever again! Northern Kurdistan should be reunited with the Eastern and all other parts of Kurdistan!

In few decades Kurds will become a majority in Turkye. And as a Kurd I'm telling you that Kurds and Kurdistan don't belong in Europe. I just hope that one day there will be an Iranian economic union of Iranic nations with all Iranic states as members of that economic oil & gas rich Iranic union, from Kurdistan, Persia all the way to Tajikistan. I don't have anything against Western, Greek Constantinople, part of Turkye becoming part of the EU, BUT without Northern Kurdistan. I hope that this time the Europeans will not divide Kurdistan ever again! Northern Kurdistan should be reunited with the Eastern and all other parts of Kurdistan!

I always talked to Albanians that they are unrealistic, in good faith. They have their state (Albania), they want second state (Kosovo which is not recognized in UN, Kosovo is Serbian province), and they want parts of Greece, Upper Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia. With population less than 4,5 million people, and with the decline population in Albania.

They have names for their new "states": Kosovo, Illyrida (in the West of Upper Macedonia), Chamuria (in the North of Greece) and Malesia (in the South-East of Montenegro), etc.

I always give them example of the Kurds, nation over 30 million people, who do not have their own country (for now).

In the debate with Albanians I present them a contradiction.

They're pushing for Kosovo, Illyrida, Malesia and Chamuria as new Albanian states but they do not give the right to the Kurds to have a state, even they do not give the right for Kurdish autonomy in Turkey!

How can a small number of Albanians have the right to two, three, or more countries but Kurds (who are much larger nation), according to Albanians have no right for one own state?

Certainly in the case of Serbia has violated international law, but things will come into place, and Serbia will regain sovereignty over its entire teritory.

Albanians have their own state, and it is Albania.

On the other hand probably a day comes when Kurds will enter into the global community of nations with their own state, Kurdistan.

Independent Kurdistan will be established sooner than everybody expects.

It seems that in every Serbian village where the Muslims live they try to take away from Serbia. All the land you mentioned is historically Serbian (South Slavic) land.
Some Muslim Turks came to your land and took your land away. I know the feeling of the Serbs. Turks did exact the same in Kurdistan, they came to Kurdistan and stole our lands too.

The EU is measuring with double standards. And the policies of the international community are paradoxal as it can get! I do hope that Serbia will remain an independent and proud country and doesn't fall for pressure from the EU and Islamists!

Independent Kurdistan will be established sooner than everybody expects.

It seems that in every Serbian village where the Muslims live they try to take away from Serbia. All the land you mentioned is historically Serbian (South Slavic) land.
Some Muslim Turks came to your land and took your land away. I know the feeling of the Serbs. Turks did exact the same in Kurdistan, they came to Kurdistan and stole our lands too.

The EU is measuring with double standards. And the policies of the international community are paradoxal as it can get! I do hope that Serbia will remain an independent and proud country and doesn't fall for pressure from the EU and Islamists!

Yes, double standards, but nothing is eternal.

Turks came to the Kurdish land and now Kurds have no rights.

But Kurds are proud and tenacious people and their time comes.

Don't enter the EU...you will regret it.

For me it will for sure Serbia and then it could be Albania

Serbia have been doing a lot of political and ecnomic effort, they deserve to be listed in european countries...they need to to more but they already did a lot

Strangely, î can tell you that the majority of Albanian people are very very nice and cheerful...they welcome you like a King....it´s really a pity that this people suffer from mafiosi group a bad réputation because the huge majority of them are so kind !!!

I am quite optimistic for the future of Albania...the country is really changing, the mentalities also, the new président is a social démocrat pro european and the country is building new roads and public transport... Go to Albania, you would be surprised...

Montenegro...simply one the most gorgeous country of Europe...amazing !!!!! They will go into Europe without problem, the economy is booming, the real estate is flourishing, also new marina are builded for yachts...believe me Monténégro gonna be the new monte Carlo or Saint tropez of adriatic...

You have also to know that Monténégro already use Euro...so,they dont need to ask after for euro...so we can consider that this country won't represent problem once being part of Europe...

Iceland ???......they have been stopping the process for political reasons....let´s wait and see......

Macedonia ???... will dépend with Greece problem name....Greece consider this name as provocation bcs Macedonia is a région of Greece....but i think that this problem will be solved soon...

Sorry but open a map and Albania is fully into european territory...now you can't say you dont want Albania because their culture is different than Yours...that̀´s complete nonsense...

I see that,you are finnish...in this case if,you think like this why we have been accepting Spanish or Portuguese...do you think their cultures, food and mentality are the same as in Suomi ???

i dont agree with your vision

Moldovia won't have any problem to be in Europe because moldovià is in Europe bcs moldovià is far away or russia and bcs moldovià is an ex Romanian territory and that all,the moldoviàn people, feel like Romanian for the language and roots and have strictly nothing in common with russia...

moldovià dont care about russia and is politically and economically linked to Romania....

and ne you can read the président speech...he is pushing hard to be in Europe asap...

Turkey and Azerbaïdjan won't go,into Europe bcs they are not in Europe...that´s very easy to see a map...

besides for political reasons turkey won't go into eu...

they dont respect human rights, political opinions, respect of minorities and above all they dont want to recognize the Armenian genocide...

They have been recognizing Kosovo...if not they couldńt be accepted into european process...

Problems in Cyprus or Serbia are frozen problems. No one can ask Serbia to recognize Kosovo. EU works well as doesn't insist; but what is most important is development of region.

I strongly believe that all European countries must enter the EU. In my view the next one will be Serbia, as far as Turkey is concerned, well, it is very difficult. For this country European citizens must decide. Recall the size of Turkey (if it enters, it will have the most seats in the EU parliament), the sack of Constantinople, the besiege of Vienna and so on ...

This thread has been viewed 39869 times.

Back