Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which country will be next EU member?

Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class250 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 0%

Which country will be next EU member?

After Croatia, which country is closer to join to European Union?

Turkey, Serbia, Macedonia, Albania, Moldova, Azerbaijan or Georgia?

http://irglobal.blogspot.com/

1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 458

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

Ethnic group
    Scottish, English and German

Quote Originally Posted by intorg View Post

Serbia seems to be on its way to EU membership, which probably doesn't make the Croats very happy. Macedonia isn't going to get into the EU if Greece has anything to say about it. I think most European governments will look at the growing tide of islamization in Turkey and say "maybe some time in the future - very far in the future". And I suspect the Russian bear will growl if Moldova, Azerbaijan or Georgia make a serious effort to join the EU. But it looks like Moldova really wants to join the EU. So do the Georgians, but geography is against them.

OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 661

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeen View Post
    Serbia seems to be on its way to EU membership, which probably doesn't make the Croats very happy. Macedonia isn't going to get into the EU if Greece has anything to say about it. I think most European governments will look at the growing tide of islamization in Turkey and say "maybe some time in the future - very far in the future". And I suspect the Russian bear will growl if Moldova, Azerbaijan or Georgia make a serious effort to join the EU. But it looks like Moldova really wants to join the EU. So do the Georgians, but geography is against them.
    Serbia can't join the EU without recognizing Kosovo.

Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    Serbia can't join the EU without recognizing Kosovo.
    I don't see why it is related, Serbia is old European country and it deserved to be part of the EU. However there are those in region and beyond who are trying to make it harder Serbia's path to EU. Therefore in Serbia there are groups who think that there is an alternative to the EU, they think that Serbia should be part of the Eurasian block, I hope that in Europe there will no be hurdles and ultimatums which would give the wings supporters of Eurasia, and that Serbia will become the part of EU for several years.

Banned Achievements:
    100 Experience Points1 year registered

Albanian prime minister said: the minimal time for Albania to get to the EU is 10 years. It means 2023 at the earliest. Has a lot to do economicaly. Serbia could get there in 2020, even though I would have prefered they join Asian union. They will be condicioned to not obstract Kosovo in its EU journey. I doubt Turkey will ever make it. Problem with Turkey is its size, not islam. Has a lot of resistence from germanic countries.

3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 1.0%

I would also say Serbia is well on its way, even if it will annoy Slovenia and Croatia. I was there recently and they still have a lot of work to do. Great country though, amazing food :)

Banned Achievements:
    100 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Overall activity: 99.4%

I hope Serbia stay out, better for them to wait that the federalism looses the brewing conflict inside EU.

Banned Achievements:

Amin! Your words in God's ears. Serbia better stay out of EU

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by albanopolis View Post
    Amin! Your words in God's ears. Serbia better stay out of EU
    Yes, but for their own good, not against them.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

Ethnic group

I doubt Turkey will ever make it. Problem with Turkey is its size, not islam. Has a lot of resistence from germanic countries.
    You may not remember the siege of Vienna but I'll bet many Austrians do.

Banned Achievements:

Absolutely. For they own good. Just let them stay out.

Banned Achievements:

You may not remember the siege of Vienna but I'll bet many Austrians do.
    We remember the siege of Adolf too. But still we want to be with Germany. That is history. Nobody is mad what Ottomans did in 1500. But the size of Turkey scares a lot of people. They can affect a lot of things. They can affect the EU political ballance. That could be a reason if they don't make it. Personally I think Turkey has modernised a lot. Is the only European country with a sizable student body in US from Europe.

Banned Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Idun View Post
    Yes, but for their own good, not against them.
    Absolutely. For they own good. Just let them stay out.

Emperor Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a1a3 (T-PF7443)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Sorry but turkey isn't a European country; it's located in Western Asia; Turks,Armenians, those people are not Europeans.

Banned Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by adamo View Post
    Sorry but turkey isn't a European country; it's located in Western Asia; Turks,Armenians, those people are not Europeans.
    Thats right and some European countries are too different, Albania would be one. All this will not matter if we end the federal dream. North Europe could maybe work within a confederation.

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 439

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b1b

Ethnic group
    Hungarian

Quote Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
    I don't see why it is related, Serbia is old European country and it deserved to be part of the EU. However there are those in region and beyond who are trying to make it harder Serbia's path to EU. Therefore in Serbia there are groups who think that there is an alternative to the EU, they think that Serbia should be part of the Eurasian block, I hope that in Europe there will no be hurdles and ultimatums which would give the wings supporters of Eurasia, and that Serbia will become the part of EU for several years.
    Becoming a new member of the EU is not a merit (although I don't think being and old European country could be interpreted as a merit). EU is group of nation who have approx. the same interest. Europe's interest is peace, and without the reconcilation with the Kosovars, Serbs can't ensure the EU, that there will be peace. Hungary lost 2/3 of its territories in 1920, because we f*cked up our ethnic policies. There are still some guys who are whining about that, but history rolls on and you can't change it. It'd be better for you to forget about Kosovo. Joining the Eurasian block of Russia could be hard to materialize considering your geopolitical situation. You are surrounded by EU states, you don't have a coast any more. You don't have the freedom of movement. I understand the pschychology of the Serbs, 'cause we have nearly the same here, but one should be reasonable and pragmatic.

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    proly R1B

Ethnic group
    Romanian

Quote Originally Posted by intorg View Post

None of those,but Montenegro.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

Ethnic group

We remember the siege of Adolf too. But still we want to be with Germany. That is history. Nobody is mad what Ottomans did in 1500. But the size of Turkey scares a lot of people. They can affect a lot of things. They can affect the EU political ballance. That could be a reason if they don't make it. Personally I think Turkey has modernised a lot. Is the only European country with a sizable student body in US from Europe.
    The difference is that the Germans have fully embraced democracy, whereas Turkey now has an islamist government that seems to be gradually moving towards creating a theocracy with the support of a slim majority of the Turkish people. Although most of the support for that idea comes from the hinterlands on the Asian side, that seems to give them enough votes to win elections, and the military no longer has the power to interfere. If Turkey had modernized a few decades sooner, it might have gotten into the EU before, but I think that now the internal politics of Turkey is probably an issue in terms of EU membership.

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 439

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b1b

Ethnic group
    Hungarian

The difference is that the Germans have fully embraced democracy, whereas Turkey now has an islamist government that seems to be gradually moving towards creating a theocracy with the support of a slim majority of the Turkish people. Although most of the support for that idea comes from the hinterlands on the Asian side, that seems to give them enough votes to win elections, and the military no longer has the power to interfere. If Turkey had modernized a few decades sooner, it might have gotten into the EU before, but I think that now the internal politics of Turkey is probably an issue in terms of EU membership.
    I agree with Albanopolis! The main reason why Turkey is not in the EU is its size. In a decade Turkey will have a bigger population than Germany. And the good old childless Europe is afraid... If they had been accepted to the EU twenty years ago, the AK Parti won't be in this position. They can't go West, they go East. By the way with Turkey EU could have a major role in the Middle East. Turkey has the connections and the knowledge, western EU has the money. And of course Turkey's EU membership is the last thing US or Russia want, 'cause with Turkey Europe could be a real actor in Weltpolitik.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by BakodiP View Post
    Becoming a new member of the EU is not a merit (although I don't think being and old European country could be interpreted as a merit). EU is group of nation who have approx. the same interest. Europe's interest is peace, and without the reconcilation with the Kosovars, Serbs can't ensure the EU, that there will be peace. Hungary lost 2/3 of its territories in 1920, because we f*cked up our ethnic policies. There are still some guys who are whining about that, but history rolls on and you can't change it. It'd be better for you to forget about Kosovo. Joining the Eurasian block of Russia could be hard to materialize considering your geopolitical situation. You are surrounded by EU states, you don't have a coast any more. You don't have the freedom of movement. I understand the pschychology of the Serbs, 'cause we have nearly the same here, but one should be reasonable and pragmatic.
    But situation is completely different. And you can see for example Cyprus. It is divided country but EU member. Solution has been postponed for a certain period.

There are two sides in Serbia. For European and Eurasian union. And it does not depend so much on external things, but of support of population for one or the other option. If you follow surveys Serbian citizens favor European Union.

Key is economic development. For example, Hungary and Serbia can have very good not only political but economical relations. Hungary and Serbia lie on a key corridor that connects the Northern and Central Europe with the Eastern Mediterranean.

Level

I agree with Albanopolis! The main reason why Turkey is not in the EU is its size. In a decade Turkey will have a bigger population than Germany. And the good old childless Europe is afraid... If they had been accepted to the EU twenty years ago, the AK Parti won't be in this position. They can't go West, they go East. By the way with Turkey EU could have a major role in the Middle East. Turkey has the connections and the knowledge, western EU has the money. And of course Turkey's EU membership is the last thing US or Russia want, 'cause with Turkey Europe could be a real actor in Weltpolitik.
    There are grounds to Turkey joining EU, if Turks want, whether as a member or a country with special ties.
    Last edited by Garrick; 07-12-13 at 23:33.

Level
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    proly R1B

Ethnic group
    Romanian

I do not think that the current government of Turkey is the main reason,but the fact that lots of countries from EU have problems with un-employment. And receiving Turkey in EU will mean even worse problems,for those countries,at un-employment.
    Since average Turk would work cheaper than average EU member.

3 months registered250 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 1.0%

I agree with Albanopolis! The main reason why Turkey is not in the EU is its size. In a decade Turkey will have a bigger population than Germany.
    Are you sure about that? From what I've always heard, the Turkish population is actually declining: http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...ate-in-turkey/

Personally I always believed Europeans considered that "Europe" stopped at the Bosphorus. The barriers for a Turkish entry to the EU were more to do with social issues, religion, integration, Middle Eastern immigration and Greek opposition.

Banned Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by greyd View Post
    Are you sure about that? From what I've always heard, the Turkish population is actually declining: http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...ate-in-turkey/

Personally I always believed Europeans considered that "Europe" stopped at the Bosphorus. The barriers for a Turkish entry to the EU were more to do with social issues, religion, integration, Middle Eastern immigration and Greek opposition.
    Turkey is projected to reach 100 mil in a decade or two. That's a big country.

Banned Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by greyd View Post

Population Projections, 2013-2075

Population projections are very important for future policy-making. Determination of current population trends and predicting future population structure according to these trends provide making healthier policies. It should not be ignored that population projections are not a forecast but an application that shows the progress of the population in case of current population trends continue or reflecting the trends of other countries which lived similar processes previously after an analysis.

Population projections, which was last produced according to the results of 2008 Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) and 2008 Turkey Demographic and Health Survey, are renewed due to improvements on the birth and death data obtained from registration systems, formation of a serial of migration statistics from ABPRS and to meet the national and international needs. The study for the population projections were carried out by a working group including the participants from related university and institutions.

Population projections were made on the basis of the results of 2012 ABPRS and produced for both Turkey in total and 81 provinces. Besides, projections were made by single ages until the year 2075 for Turkey. In addition, for the first time in our country, much-needed population projections at provincial level produced officially and announced to the public with this news release. Changes in the population of all the provinces between 2013-2023 were projected by analyzing the trends of the demographic events and population projections were produced for all provinces. On the other hand alternative population projections reflecting different fertility variants were also made. The details of the study are provided in the tables of this news release.

The population of Turkey is expected to be 84 247 088 in 2023

The population of Turkey will be 84 247 088 in 2023. The population will increase slowly to the year 2050, and it will reach to its highest value with 93 475 575 people in this year. After 2050, the population will start to decline, and it is expected to be 89 172 088 in 2075.

Population of Turkey, 2013-2075

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast