Is there really such a thing as "race"?

Is there such a thing as race?

• No,"race" is a social construct

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Race is neither biological in essence nor a social construct

• There may be such a thing as race but...

• There is no such thing as race whatsoever

• Not sure/Undecided

• Other opinions (please discuss)

• Total voters

Veritator

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian, Greek, Armenian
Y-DNA haplogroup
No Genetic testing.
mtDNA haplogroup
Not yet known.
Is there really such a thing as race?

Helping Questions:

How do you define race? How many ways can one define race, and which of these is the most appropriate one?

Does biological diversity of human beings exist to such an extent such that it requires the term?

Is the concept(s) of race necessary?

What is the best way to measure the biological diversity of humans?

Is race a social construct or a biological reality?

I supposethat race is just biological reality. But many people take it as a social onealso. As for me, we all belong to different races and that should be treatedfrom biological point of view and not bring any social limits.

Of course its a Biological concept and its scientifically determined and classified by Anthropology a field of Biology;

The main races being Caucasoid; Mongoloid; Negroid and (some Anthropologists) also Australoid;
Caucasoid race is consisting of its sub-races [Mediterranid / Alpinoid / Nordid / Armenoid] and all their sub-types;

obviously race is a biological reality, not just a social construct or whatever ......

IMO, when people want to say "race is just a social construct", they are actually referring to a society's broader VIEWS and OPINIONS on race as being the social construct. Not race itself.

Racial lines can at times be very difficult to define; to each his own but I don't believe in "races" we are all a unique combination of haplogroups; some of us youth are more similar to others and vice versa.

Like billiard balls - all are the same in the dark. The difference becomes notable when you turn on the light, and some balls have a different value according to the rules of the game :)

Like billiard balls - all are the same in the dark. The difference becomes notable when you turn on the light, and some balls have a different value according to the rules of the game :)
That is the best answer to my mind!

That is the best answer to my mind!
It might look this way in Ukraine or in Serbia where all people are of single race. In USA, where they have more experience with different races, when you go to the doctor, in some circumstances, you will get different medication when you are white or black. Different races react differently to medications. Race is not skin deep, or should we say shallow. As AI said, it is a biological reality. Should we mention achievements in sports and music for different races?
Interestingly, most deniers come from countries of single race.

Last edited:
The boy loves talking about b_ _ _ _!

Of course its a Biological concept and its scientifically determined and classified by Anthropology a field of Biology;

The main races being Caucasoid; Mongoloid; Negroid and (some Anthropologists) also Australoid;
Caucasoid race is consisting of its sub-races [Mediterranid / Alpinoid / Nordid / Armenoid] and all their sub-types;

You're quite correct. I suppose the only reason we still use the term "race" is as a descriptor-to differentiate between people of different racial phenotypes. Australoids are a completely different people to, for example, Negroids.

It might look this way.....

There is a difference but it's subtle. You should watch for it when it's important, but don't give it too much credit when it's not. When you repair a green ball, you don't do it with a pink tint :) When it's a basketball game in question, of course black balls have a better value then the white ones (it may be better to use the term small wooden sphere here? :)

That's a reality and I voted Yes. I'm just saying that there is nothing more beyond that which is obvious.

There is a difference but it's subtle. You should watch for it when it's important, but don't give it too much credit when it's not. When you repair a green ball, you don't do it with a pink tint :) When it's a basketball game in question, of course black balls have a better value then the white ones (it may be better to use the term small wooden sphere here? :)

That's a reality and I voted Yes. I'm just saying that there is nothing more beyond that which is obvious.

Ike: Sorry, I can't agree with your use of the term subtle in this context. If an Asian, an African and a European stand side by side, the difference in phenotype is marked and obvious. Where it does become difficult is when people want to sub-categorise people in to, for example, Turkic, Persian, or Arab, which are not correct racial groups at all. But, as I wrote before, these terms, imo, only become relevant as descriptors and should never be used dismissively.

Well, I can agree with you. It all depends from a standpoint. If you look at the humans opposed to animals or plants, the difference among races is subtle. If you put black and white man next to each other and compare them just audio/visually, difference is enormous. There will be like less than 1% people that could not make a difference.

From what I've seen up till now, it's not the color that people make a fuss about. I've seen both pale Italians with green eyes and dark Semitic looking ones, and they all get along perfect. It is the cultural differences that make more impact, and you have pinpointed nicely most common categorizations among people which are (my oppinion) misinterpreted as racism, but they are in fact not.

It's amazing how quickly an Albino from India could easily be classified as Nordic or an African with a major case of Vitiligo could pass for Asian... remember Michael Jackson? Take a look at pictures on the internet sometimes racial identity is just as superficial as skin color...

This thread has been viewed 11605 times.

Back