Homicide rate. Saints and Devils of modern Europe.

LeBrok

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Citizen of the world
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b Z2109
mtDNA haplogroup
H1c
I just came across interesting stats about homicide rate of european countries.

Intentional Homicide Country Police Recorded Cases per 100,000 population

Russia 10.2
Moldova 7.5
Lithuania 6.6
Estonia 5.2
Ukraine 5.0
United States 5.0
Belarus 4.9
Georgia 4.3
Albania 4.0
Montenegro 3.5
Turkey 3.3
Latvia 3.1
Luxembourg 2.5
Finland 2.3
Israel 2.1
Bulgaria 2.0
Romania 2.0
Macedonia 1.9
Canada 1.8
Belgium 1.7
Scotland 1.6
Bosnia 1.5
New Zealand 1.5
Slovakia 1.5
Croatia 1.4
France 1.4
Hungary 1.4
Poland 1.3
Serbia 1.2
Northern Ireland 1.2
Australia 1.2
Ireland 1.2
Portugal 1.2
England and Wales 1.1
Netherlands 1.1
Greece 1.0
Italy 1.0
Sweden 1.0
Czech Republic 0.9
Denmark 0.9
Spain 0.9
Germany 0.8
Switzerland 0.7
Norway 0.6
Slovenia 0.6
Austria 0.5
Japan 0.5
Iceland 0.3
Murder rates 2012.jpg

Holland is listed with 1.1 although Amsterdam is often listed as a murder capitol of Europe with 4.4 score, although Moscow is at 4.6 and Tallinn, Estonia at 7.3
Venezuela/Caracas beats everybody with a whooping 122 murders for 100,000 people.

It is interesting to notice that there is no division between North and South Europe. Although we can see substantial crime rise East off Baltic Sea.

Source:
http://www.civitas.org.uk/crime/crime_stats_oecdjan2012.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Last edited:
I just came across interesting stats about homicide rate of european countries. Intentional Homicide Country Police Recorded Cases per 100,000 population Russia 10.2Moldova 7.5Lithuania 6.6Estonia 5.2 Ukraine 5.0United States 5.0 Belarus 4.9Georgia 4.3 Albania 4.0Montenegro 3.5Turkey 3.3 Latvia 3.1Luxembourg 2.5 Finland 2.3 Israel 2.1 Bulgaria 2.0Romania 2.0Macedonia 1.9Canada 1.8 Belgium 1.7 Scotland 1.6 Bosnia 1.5New Zealand 1.5 Slovakia 1.5 Croatia 1.4France 1.4 Hungary 1.4 Poland 1.3 Serbia 1.2Northern Ireland 1.2 Australia 1.2 Ireland 1.2 Portugal 1.2 England and Wales 1.1 Netherlands 1.1 Greece 1.0 Italy 1.0 Sweden 1.0 Czech Republic 0.9 Denmark 0.9 Spain 0.9 Germany 0.8 Switzerland 0.7 Norway 0.6 Slovenia 0.6 Austria 0.5 Japan 0.5 Iceland 0.3 Holland is listed with 1.1 although Amsterdam is often listed as a murder capitol of Europe with 4.4 score, although Moscow is at 4.6 and Tallinn, Estonia at 7.3 Venezuela/Caracas beats everybody with a whooping 122 murders for 100,000 people.It is interesting to notice that there is no division between North and South Europe. Although we can see substantial crime rise East off Baltic Sea.Source:http://www.civitas.org.uk/crime/crime_stats_oecdjan2012.pdfhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate
Surprising to see Finland and Luxembourg so much on top.

It would be interesting to see some statistics on rates of handgun ownership and concealed carry laws and compare those statistics to murder rates. Unfortunately, the only gun ownership rate comparisons I could find included long guns, which I think are much less likely to be a factor in unpremeditated homocides. Obviously, there are other factors that matter a lot in terms of homocide rates, particularly high crime rates and situations where poverty is combined with political and social instability. But I think the rate at which people habitually carry handguns is a large factor in the murder rate. It's much harder to kill someone with a knife or club, and people don't usually walk around carrying long guns, except for a few really unstable countries, such as Somalia.

It would be interesting to see some statistics on rates of handgun ownership and concealed carry laws and compare those statistics to murder rates. Unfortunately, the only gun ownership rate comparisons I could find included long guns, which I think are much less likely to be a factor in unpremeditated homocides. Obviously, there are other factors that matter a lot in terms of homocide rates, particularly high crime rates and situations where poverty is combined with political and social instability. But I think the rate at which people habitually carry handguns is a large factor in the murder rate. It's much harder to kill someone with a knife or club, and people don't usually walk around carrying long guns, except for a few really unstable countries, such as Somalia.

I agree. In Finland for instance, gun carrying is popular due to wild animals:

Wikipedia said:
In Finland there are 32 privately owned firearms per 100 civilians according to the Finnish Ministry of the Interior.

Similar situation like in the US probably?

Russia underwent severe instability during Yeltsin era with uncontrolled deterioration of the military and lots of illegal gun trade.

Estonia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Georgia are post-soviet countries which probably underwent similar transition problems like Russia did since 1990.

Switzerland (among others like Serbia, Norway, Sweden) is an exception though:
wikipedia said:
Switzerland thus has one of the highest militia gun ownership rates in the world

I agree. In Finland for instance, gun carrying is popular due to wild animals:

Similar situation like in the US probably?

Russia underwent severe instability during Yeltsin era with uncontrolled deterioration of the military and lots of illegal gun trade.

Estonia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Georgia are post-soviet countries which probably underwent similar transition problems like Russia did since 1990.

Switzerland (among others like Serbia, Norway, Sweden) is an exception though:

Any idea how many of those guns are handguns, and whether concealed carry is allowed in Switzerland? I suspect it's not. And of course Switzerland is very stable, politically, socially and economically, with almost no poverty and very little crime. So the other factors that increase homicide rates are not present. Of course, as far as I know, Finland is also quite a stable, prosperous country, so I'm surprised that its homicide rate is as high as it is, but perhaps that's solely because of people carrying guns, combined with the Finnish love of alcohol. If two drunks start fighting and one has a gun, that's a recipe for disaster.

Any idea how many of those guns are handguns, and whether concealed carry is allowed in Switzerland?

I have no idea.

I suspect it's not. And of course Switzerland is very stable, politically, socially and economically, with almost no poverty and very little crime. So the other factors that increase homicide rates are not present. Of course, as far as I know, Finland is also quite a stable, prosperous country, so I'm surprised that its homicide rate is as high as it is, but perhaps that's solely because of people carrying guns, combined with the Finnish love of alcohol. If two drunks start fighting and one has a gun, that's a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, maybe, seems plausible. The alcohol issue might also be the additional factor to explain the high rate in Russia and Estonia.

I have no idea.

Yeah, maybe, seems plausible. The alcohol issue might also be the additional factor to explain the high rate in Russia and Estonia.

Maybe the infidelity of Russian women is another very important factor.
I am curious what percentage of murders are made for robbery purposes,what percentage because someone get drunk and kill and what percentage because someone found out that his woman cheated him and killed her or killed the one with which his woman cheated him.

Maybe the infidelity of Russian women is another very important factor.

Maybe not infidelity, but rather jealousy. This could to a minor extent perhaps contribute to the high rates in some balcanic or caucasian countries, but I'm really not sure here.

I am curious what percentage of murders are made for robbery purposes,what percentage because someone get drunk and kill and what percentage because someone found out that his woman cheated him and killed her or killed the one with which his woman cheated him.

Sure, general crime rates, that would be good to know too.

Maybe not infidelity, but rather jealousy. This could to a minor extent perhaps contribute to the high rates in some balcanic or caucasian countries, but I'm really not sure here.

Sure, general crime rates, that would be good to know too.
Yes,something like that,or some negative feelings against someone you know triggered by large quantity of drinking alcohol.
http://www.just.ee/44770
According to this study,most crimes in Estonia are made by people intoxicated by alcohol against acquaintances or close persons.
In Russia,80% of the homicides are done by people intoxicated by alcohol:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12383457

My first map. :)
From light to dark gold, according to data from post one.
Murder rates 2012.jpg

The US has a very high murder rate, but what can you expect when people can go to a Gun Shop, show their drivers license and then buy an MP5 or an Uzi or an HK, weapons designed for one purpose only and that's to kill people. Many in the US consider gun carrying an obligation, and their laws on protection of property are ridiculous. There is no justification for any civilian population to be able to have and use Assault Rifles, submachine guns, or for that matter, in most cases, hand guns.

Last edited:
I was working on bringing more statistics about various criminal activities but run into comparative problems. Every country reports crimes in somewhat different ways, also in some countries people report every small burglary, in others people don't bother reporting because they don't believe that police will help them. In some poorer countries police don't have means or will to compile reliable stats anyway.

For example here are burglary numbers per 100,000 for Europe:
1Iceland 955
2Denmark 800
3Greece 749
4Belgium 615
5Netherlands 612
6Ireland 553
7United States 528
8UK 442
9Bulgaria 329
10Switzerland 301
11Luxembourg 297
12Italy 285
13France 283
14Portugal 254
15Estonia 246
16Spain 239
17Latvia 210
18Sweden 206
19Hungary 201
20Austria 185
21Lithuania 166
22Germany 151
23Norway 146
24Slovenia 128
25Finland 120
26Turkey 119
27Poland 99
28Serbia 96
29Czech Republic 96
30Croatia 72
31Romania 71
32Macedonia 70
33Slovakia 35
Bulglary rates 2012.jpg

Here are numbers for robberies. As you can see they don't make sense, although these numbers are reported by these countries themselves. I guess the problem is in definition of robbery by each country and reporting them by their citizens. (per 100,000)
1Serbia 38,958
2Denmark 22,861
3Belgium 21,444
4Portugal 19,450
5France 18,339
6Spain 18,075
7UK 12,508
8Sweden 9,603
9Lithuania 9,244
10Italy 7,999
11Ireland 7,174
12Netherlands 6,503
13Luxembourg 6,320
14Germany 5,983
15Greece 5,629
16Latvia 5,360
17Bulgaria 5,119
18Austria 5,071
19Poland 5,028
20Estonia 4,608
21Bosnia 4,545
22Czech Republic 3,690
23Switzerland 3,566
24Hungary 3,430
25Norway 3,374
26Croatia 2,895
27Finland 2,793
28Macedonia 2,500
29Slovenia 2,315
30Montenegro 2,283
31Slovakia 2,200
32Iceland 1,400
33Romania 1,236
34Turkey 1,13

The US has a very high murder rate, but what can you expect when people can go to a Gun Shop, show their drivers license and then buy an MP5 or an Uzi or an HK, weapons designed for one purpose only and that's to kill people. Many in the US consider gun carrying an obligation, and their laws on protection of property are ridiculous. There is no justification for any civilian population to be able to have and use Assault Rifles, submachine guns, or for that matter, in most cases, hand guns.
Yes US have a high homicide rate,but I think the homicide rate of their Caucasian race people,which are born in US,is at the same rate with Nordic countries.

This thread has been viewed 12375 times.

Back