If you had to leave your country and could live anywhere else, where would you go ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Recently a Gallup poll asked people in which country they wished to live if there were no barrier. Surprisingly only 38% of respondents replied that they were happy where were. The country where people were most happy where they were was Australia (66%). However the most popular destination to live was still the USA.

I would like to ask the question differently. Let's suppose that for some reason you had to leave your country, but could choose to live anywhere else. where would you go and why ?

Well from 1st of January,Romanians are getting working rights everywhere in European Union.
But I would not really go to work outside Romania,since I do not like to be despised,as it is usually happens to Romanians which go to work and live in European Union.
Where I would go to work,if I could would be US,Canada or Russia (not in Sankt-Petersburg,anyway,in Russia).
These societies are not treating people bad,if they are not native from there.

Recently a Gallup poll asked people in which country they wished to live if there were no barrier. Surprisingly only 38% of respondents replied that they were happy where were. The country where people were most happy where they were was Australia (66%). However the most popular destination to live was still the USA.

I would like to ask the question differently. Let's suppose that for some reason you had to leave your country, but could choose to live anywhere else. where would you go and why ?

Even though this country has some problems, I can't imagine living anywhere other than Canada. But if I had to leave? Most of my ancestors came from Britain, but I wouldn't want to live in Britain with its right wing politics and failing economy. Some of my ancestors are from Germany but I don't know what part of Germany and I don't speak German, so I probably wouldn't go there. I think I would go to New Zealand, since I hear that it's a very livable country and it has good hiking trails and still has some wilderness areas, even though it's a fairly small place. And I really like seafood, lamb and apples, three things that New Zealand seems to be famous for.

Even though this country has some problems, I can't imagine living anywhere other than Canada. But if I had to leave? Most of my ancestors came from Britain, but I wouldn't want to live in Britain with its right wing politics and failing economy. Some of my ancestors are from Germany but I don't know what part of Germany and I don't speak German, so I probably wouldn't go there. I think I would go to New Zealand, since I hear that it's a very livable country and it has good hiking trails and still has some wilderness areas, even though it's a fairly small place. And I really like seafood, lamb and apples, three things that New Zealand seems to be famous for.

Do you really think that New Zealand is faring better economically than Britain ? The GDP per capita (PPP) of New Zealand is lower than that of Italy or Spain. A recent study predicts that the British economy will outgrow other West European ones and overtake Germany's by 2030.

Do you really think that New Zealand is faring better economically than Britain ? The GDP per capita (PPP) of New Zealand is lower than that of Italy or Spain. A recent study predicts that the British economy will outgrow other West European ones and overtake Germany's by 2030.

I will admit that my thinking is subjective, based on anecdotal evidence. Britain to me seems like a very crowded place, very expensive, with a lot of big city blight, crime and poverty. Although it has some very nice rural areas, it's very expensive to buy a house in any part of the country where I would want to live. And I have relatives in Britain, and they all seem to think that the quality of life has deteriorated there, with growing poverty, crime and social inequity, and the National Health Service is deteriorating. I've never been to New Zealand, but I know several people who have, and they all seem to like it, and say that it's a very safe, pleasant place with fresh air and a good climate. Whereas the UK seems to have a lot of social problems, and it seems to me that life there is not very good for people in big cities with a low or average income (i.e., most people).

I tried to find some actual statistics so I could compare Britain to New Zealand, although you've probably heard that saying that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. According to the UN, the GDP of New Zealand for 2012 was $38,3999 US compared to $39,367 for the UK, so that the UK GDP is only slightly higher. The same list of statistics show Germany at $41,866, Italy at $33,069 and Spain at $28,278. So according to these statistics, there isn't a lot of difference in income between NZ and the UK, and NZ is more prosperous than Italy or Spain. However, there are no doubt other statistics that show a different result.

A person should go where they're happy (or happier than anywhere else). So it's good to choose a country that offers all kinds of environments. Canada has a good mix of multi-ethnic big cities with vibrant social scene and rural areas where nobody bothers you. Although, most rural areas and small-cities are boring to the point where most multi-generation locals have left them.

That study putting Englands economy above Germany's by 2030 sounded more like a wishfull thinking than science based. It supposed euro currancy weakened to the point that everyone hated it and its population decreased to levels of Britain. Both of them are false. Both of them are factors that can be reversed. German economy is industrial based, which means they will always produce. For the moment they are way stronger than Britan industrially. Everyone should stay in hus own country. If I had to choose one I ould go to Mexico.

could I get my own island, and invite some nice women from time to time ?

could I get my own island, and invite some nice women from time to time ?

When I was younger, I would have liked the idea of my very own tropical island, to share only with two or three dozen attractive women. But now that I'm older, I don't think I could do justice to the opportunity any more. In any case, I think the idea was to decide what country you'd live in if you had about the same income you have now, which for me would be middle class. Buying my own island would be out of my reach. And I happen to like living in a town that's big enough to have a few good bookstores, coffee shops and restaurants but small enough to have a farmer's market, with the countryside not too far away. Certainly a middle class income can buy you such a life in Canada and also, I think, in New Zealand. But I think it's more expensive to have a life like that in Europe, especially in Britain, because it's so crowded. In my experience, towns there tend to either have expensive real estate (e.g., St Albans) or are run down and neglected (e.g., most English seaside towns). But if I had a lot of money, I would probably pick somewhere in Europe, because European countries have a much older and stronger cultural heritage than countries like Canada, New Zealand and Australia (and I would never move to Australia because I don't like hot weather). If I could afford to buy my own castle, perhaps I would pick Saltsburg - I've never been there but everything I've read about the place makes it sound very interesting. In that case, I would want to learn the language - even though I could find many people who would speak to me in English if it's anything like the rest of Europe, I would try to fit in with the locals.

This thread has been viewed 8248 times.

Back