Cuman & Kipchak influence on European genetics?

toyomotor

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Australian/Irish/European
Y-DNA haplogroup
D2a1b
mtDNA haplogroup
H2a4
The Cumans are said to have originated in China, east of the Yellow River. They are described as Caucasians with red/blonde hair and blue or green eyes. The Kipchaks were a loose Turkic Federation. The two combined and at various stages became mercenaries for some of the Russo/Baltic states. They eventually combined with the Mongol Golden Horde raiding across central and parts of western Europe. What genetic legacy did they leave behind?

Probably the biggest legacy is by Black Sea where some of tribes settled. I'm not sure about Kipchak or Cuman, but there were more Tatars settling in Eastern Europe than anybody else from Mongolian Confederation.

As far as I know Hunyadi was a Cuman.

I think Bulgaria/Serbia and some other Balkan/Eastern European states may have significant (absorbed) Cuman population.

The Cumans are said to have originated in China, east of the Yellow River. They are described as Caucasians with red/blonde hair and blue or green eyes. The Kipchaks were a loose Turkic Federation. The two combined and at various stages became mercenaries for some of the Russo/Baltic states. They eventually combined with the Mongol Golden Horde raiding across central and parts of western Europe. What genetic legacy did they leave behind?

I see almost none (yet). Also the traces of Bulgars (alleg. as numerous as "sands on the beach"), Awars and Hunns can not be identified. We actually even don't know what to expect to find. There are exotic traces for sure, but they are too minimal. Only for Magyars there are hints that they were largely europid and they brought additional R1a. There is some Y-HG Q in east Balkans, but it is only in the order of 0.5%, not enough. Then the Y-HG Q in Ukraine is of Jewish origin. The slight siberian autosomal admixture in Russians is surely from Finno-ugric tribes and Saami, as well as Y-HG N.

They were described with blonde hair and blue eyes, not with red hair but those description only seem to existed after mixing with Kipchaks it seems.

Anyway I don't think Cumans were Caucasoids.

Read what it said about their skeletons in wikipedia.

"
The results suggested that the Cumanians, as seen in the excavation at Csengele, were far from genetic homogeneity. Nevertheless, the grave artifacts are typical of the Cumanian steppe culture; and five of the six skeletons that were complete enough for anthropometric analysis appeared Asian rather than European (Horváth 1978, 2001), "

mtDNA of ancient Cumanians

A paper on the Cumanians illustrates how these Mongoloid invaders turn out to be Caucasoid in terms of their mtDNA:

The maternal mtDNA is mostly Caucasoid but their paternal could be mostly Mongoloid aside from that they are also have 16% Mongoloid maternal DNA.

If the Cumans were from the Asian race, today the Balkans should have had many and predominantly Asian haplogroups

https://www.geni.com/path/Philippa-...953110&path_type=blood&to=6000000002304359012

According to her family tree, Philippa of Hainault was of Cuman ancestry, so that means I am part Cuman too, being descended from both John of Gaunt and Edward IV. Understandably, by the time I'm receiving this DNA, it's only trace, if at all showing. I'm not at all surprised that this is through Hungary, no matter attempts to reinvent the people there as just Slavs. I understand that the idea of Hungary and also Turkey, is how the common native people have merely been passive to Steppe elites. If that is so, what am I supposed to think about plotting closer to Hungary on my chart than some others?

This thread has been viewed 14862 times.

Back