(Offtopic) Ethnic identity of ancient Alpine peoples

It is actually just basic Archaeology;
It does take some reading to understand it i.e. to understand the certain expansions and their affiliations; And in the end no one can truly disregard the Archaeological reality (i.e. the expansions and affiliations);

My point is that all your archaeological considerations make no sense if you have no idea about the supposed languages that we are talking about. No offense, but if you disregard all available data, you might as well roll a D20 and variably attach labels such as "Celtic", "Italic", "Atlantean" or "Martian" to an archaeological culture...

James Clackson - Indo-European Linguistics (2007) Cambridge Uni.
These languages share some characteristic lexical features with the other members of the Celtic group, principally Irish and Welsh, and the loss of the sound ∗p, generally assumed for all the Celtic languages. However, the number of morphological innovations which are shared by all the Celtic languages is extremely small, and if we use the strictest criteria for reconstructing sub-groups, the Celtic languages do not qualify. Even the loss of ∗p seems only to be underway in the Lepontic inscriptions and may have spread across the whole language area from language to language, rather than being a feature of a sub-group parent from which they all descended.

I would say I disagree with Clackson, and you seem to have misunderstood or misquoted me. My wording was 'one' of the defining features, not the only one, as some Celtic languages (Lusitanian) preserve the *p sound. The loss of the original *p sound is attested in Lepontic (even Clackson in your quote admits that, his wording is "under way"), for instance in "Ufamokozis". Now Eska, to quote him again, reconstructs the "labial fricative", which is either /f/ or /φ/, which is expectable as an intermediate step. The point is that this by no means in conflict with what I said, this - and other features - place Lepontic firmly within the Celtic languages, unlike Umbrian for which the shift *bh-, *dh- > *f- is attested. Q.e.d.

I am starting to lose confidence in your linguistic abilities;
Platitudes from John T. Koch are nice to read though not substantial but a decent effort;

:rolleyes:

Have another try in factually differentiating Lepontic from proto-Keltic and proto-Italic;

I did. I maintain - which is the consensual view of the majority of scholars on the topic - that Lepontic is a Celtic language. Umbrian isn't.

Exactly my point;

How can this be "exactly your point" if it completely deconstructs your point? You even repeat my own arguments later on:

The sentence translates as (from David Stifter / Uni. Wien):
pelkui : pruiam : teu : karite : iśos : karite : palam
Deu set up the *bruiā for Belkos : he (likewise) set up the gravestone

I might add: the word "iśos" is an attestation of the "Tau Gallicum" in Lepontic...

Now you are correct that the Umbrians themselves were designated as being Gauls in ancient/classical History 'veteres Galli'

How can you claim that?

and the vast similarities between Italic and Keltic stem from the common Indo-European root; As we also find this Indo-European cognate of UMBRI-OMBRI-AMBRI in many other Indo-European tribes whether Germanic or Keltic: sigAMBRI, cIMBRI, AMBROnes, sYMBRI and the OMBROnes on the Vistula;

No offense, but have we already reached the level of magical word dismantlement...?

My point is that all your archaeological considerations make no sense if you have no idea about the supposed languages that we are talking about. No offense, but if you disregard all available data, you might as well roll a D20 and variably attach labels such as "Celtic", "Italic", "Atlantean" or "Martian" to an archaeological culture...

In order for an Indo-European language (like Lepontic) to exist - actual Indo-Europeans must have spoken it; Therefor the affiliation of the Speakers of the Lepontic language is directly connected with the Archaeological attested Indo-European migrations; And there was no break since the 12th cen BC Urnfield expansion and the Golasecca-complex (no data will tell you otherwise) hence proto-Keltic at best; No offense - but you are the one who is disregarding the entire field of Archaeology and thus end up with a false attachment;

Since Lepontic can only (and no other data will tell you otherwise) be from proto-Keltic at best and given the similarities to proto-Italic (P-Italic/Umbrian) it might as well be from proto-Italic - especially regarding its Archaeological affiliations to proto-Villanova (Umbrians/Italics);

I would say I disagree with Clackson, and you seem to have misunderstood or misquoted me. My wording was 'one' of the defining features, not the only one, as some Celtic languages (Lusitanian) preserve the *p sound. The loss of the original *p sound is attested in Lepontic (even Clackson in your quote admits that, his wording is "under way"), for instance in "Ufamokozis". Now Eska, to quote him again, reconstructs the "labial fricative", which is either /f/ or /φ/, which is expectable as an intermediate step. The point is that this by no means in conflict with what I said, this - and other features - place Lepontic firmly within the Celtic languages, unlike Umbrian for which the shift *bh-, *dh- > *f- is attested. Q.e.d.

I am not surprised that you would boldly disagree with a linguistic scholar from Cambridge;
But acc. to his lessser-opinion the loss of the *p sound is not from a common proto-Keltic parent and thus your main argument for Lepontic stemming from proto-Keltic (losing *p) is virtually non existent; Of course Lepontic developed it ("under way") independently;

I did. I maintain - which is the consensual view of the majority of scholars on the topic - that Lepontic is a Celtic language. Umbrian isn't. How can this be "exactly your point" if it completely deconstructs your point? You even repeat my own arguments later on:

Of course Umbrian is not Keltic - the fact that Umbrian is Italic i.e from proto-Italic and that Italic/Sabellic and Keltic are two distinct branches is in fact - Exactly my Point; You have only (correctly) demonstrated the diffs. between the Italic and the Keltic branches; But you will not be capable to factually differentiate Lepontic from proto-Italic the way it already differentiates to proto-Keltic;

And that is what i am (and always was) talking about; The specific relation of Lepontic to proto-Italic(P-Umbrian) and not the relation of Keltic and Italic;

I might add: the word "iśos" is an attestation of the "Tau Gallicum" in Lepontic...

I might add that the word /iśos/ is a pronominal;

No offense, but have we already reached the level of magical word dismantlement...?

Does it really involve magic to dismantle the cognate AMBRO-UMBRO-OMBRO in all the tribes?
concerning your methods and skills one might well believe it - no offense;

< Laughing like Beavis. Mike Judge would be impressed with my imitation.

But in all seriousness, can I ask an obtuse question? Is this back and forth concerning whether or not a tribe (or tribes) spoke Celtic? I feel like I'm missing something here. Do these tribes have import for the rest of Europe or maybe the Indo-European branch of languages? Please excuse my ignorance.

without the correct answer, you as an example, would be a mongolian runt instead of what you claim to be

I might add that the word /iśos/ is a pronominal;

Speaking of /iśos/ i might add that iśos is only present in Lepontic and either a pronoun or a demonstrative;

Emmanuel Dupraz - Sabellian Demonstratives: Forms and Functions (2011)
In addition, a Lepontic nom. sg. masc. iśos is attested; it may be an anaphoric pronoun. This form may have arisen from *is-to-s. It is thought to contain both the nom. sg. masc. *is and the inflected grammeme *to-, the form *is- being now used as an iveriable element....Furthermore, if the Lepontic form iśos, which is morphologically the best Celtic comparandum to CIt *es-to-, is really a demonstrative, then it is a focalising anaphoric grammeme, that is, its use is rather comparable with the use of Latin īdem, than with the uses of Latin iste or CSa *esto-/*esmo-: see Lejeune (1971) 88....After the rise of CLF *isto- and the Latin development of the nom. sg. masc. *isto into iste, the latter could perhaps be regarded as a compound of *is, the nom. sg. masc. of *i-/*eyo—/*ey-/*e-sy-, and an invariable *-te.

Schrijver (1994) concerning it a pronoun connects the Lepontic iśos to *istos and Latin Iste;

In order for an Indo-European language (like Lepontic) to exist - actual Indo-Europeans must have spoken it; Therefor the affiliation of the Speakers of the Lepontic language is directly connected with the Archaeological attested Indo-European migrations; And there was no break since the 12th cen BC Urnfield expansion and the Golasecca-complex (no data will tell you otherwise) hence proto-Keltic at best; No offense - but you are the one who is disregarding the entire field of Archaeology and thus end up with a false attachment;

Since Lepontic can only (and no other data will tell you otherwise) be from proto-Keltic at best and given the similarities to proto-Italic (P-Italic/Umbrian) it might as well be from proto-Italic - especially regarding its Archaeological affiliations to proto-Villanova (Umbrians/Italics);

Well, lets talk about the linguistic reality here. There is a deep penetration of the Celtic languages into the farthest west and south of the Iberian peninsula, which to pick up your ideas, by no means explainable by either Hallstatt/La-Tene model that you enjoy so much, nor by the Urnfield model. There's a similar case with Irish/Gaelic. Now, I disagree with Koch regarding the origin of the Celtic languages (to me, it does not make any sense to make the Celtic languages into a purely Atlantic phenomenon, because again, the reality is very different), but he has a point that its plausible to assume the Atlantic Bronze Age - contemporary to Urnfield - was already partially (or wholly) Celtic-speaking. To me, the most plausible assumption (that reconciles both models) is that the Celtic languages developed on two fronts, one in Central Europe, one in the Atlantic region.

What you are doing is that you proclaim Lepontic must be Italic because you have (ad-hoc) determined that - because of your foregone conclusions - the bearers of the Golasecca culture must not have been spoken a Celtic language. And thats not how things go.

I know that this is off-topic, but how do you explain yourself the presence of Gallaecian and Lusitanian in Iberia?

I am not surprised that you would boldly disagree with a linguistic scholar from Cambridge;

You don't seem to have a problem with disagreeing with John Koch, so...

But acc. to his lessser-opinion the loss of the *p sound is not from a common proto-Keltic parent and thus your main argument for Lepontic stemming from proto-Keltic (losing *p) is virtually non existent; Of course Lepontic developed it ("under way") independently;

It's not my main argument, and its not "virtually non-existent": if it was a fricative, then by definition the original sound was at that point lost. Lepontic is also Celtic because of ē > ī, ei > ē.

Of course Umbrian is not Keltic - the fact that Umbrian is Italic i.e from proto-Italic and that Italic/Sabellic and Keltic are two distinct branches is in fact - Exactly my Point; You have only (correctly) demonstrated the diffs. between the Italic and the Keltic branches; But you will not be capable to factually differentiate Lepontic from proto-Italic the way it already differentiates to proto-Keltic;

And that is what i am (and always was) talking about; The specific relation of Lepontic to proto-Italic(P-Umbrian) and not the relation of Keltic and Italic;

Actually, I already have differentiated it. Proto-Italic, and I'm growing tired of repeating myself, has a shift of *bh-, *dh-, *gh- to *f-, *f-, *h-, while Lepontic apparently has *bh > *b.

Of the 45 plus tribes that the Romans conquered in all the alps, only 4 where vendelici , see link
If they are celtic then celtic presence was minimal against the Romans

http://www.astoft.co.uk/turbie.htm

Sile, It doesn't make any sense to me to assume that the Romans ethnically cleanesed / exterminated the entire presence of your (Illyrian? Etruscan?) Alpine peoples and then resettled the region with subjects from Gaul...

I'd like to give you something to think about:

- Julius Caesar (Commentaries on the Gallic War) names the main town of the Veragri (Ver- as in 'Vercingetorix') as 'Octodurus' (today Martigny, Switzerland).
- The names Isarci, Runicates, Licates, Ambisontes (> Ambiani), Cosuanetes, Suanetes, Calucones, Seduni, Brixentes (> Brigantes), Medulli (> Medubrigenses), Caturiges (> Bituriges), Brigiani, Esubiani (> Esuvios), Nemeturi (> Nemetes, Nemetobriga), Nerusi (> Nervii, Nerii) and Velauni (> Cassivelaunus) also strike me as Celtic.

- The name Focunates cannot be Celtic. It might be Italic (or Venetic), if its somehow related with the Latin word 'focus'.

- The one name in that list that strikes me as (perhaps) related with Etruscan (or "Raetic-Raetic", if you will) is "Trumplini". For that compare the word 'triumph', itself probably originally an Etruscan loanword. If that is correct (don't hold me for this, however), the "Trumplini" would be the "victorious ones". I might add their location, the Val Trompia (which is even today named after the tribe), places them in the vicinity to the Po plain again.

Well, lets talk about the linguistic reality here. There is a deep penetration of the Celtic languages into the farthest west and south of the Iberian peninsula, which to pick up your ideas, by no means explainable by either Hallstatt/La-Tene model that you enjoy so much, nor by the Urnfield model. There's a similar case with Irish/Gaelic. Now, I disagree with Koch regarding the origin of the Celtic languages (to me, it does not make any sense to make the Celtic languages into a purely Atlantic phenomenon, because again, the reality is very different), but he has a point that its plausible to assume the Atlantic Bronze Age - contemporary to Urnfield - was already partially (or wholly) Celtic-speaking. To me, the most plausible assumption (that reconciles both models) is that the Celtic languages developed on two fronts, one in Central Europe, one in the Atlantic region.

Two fronts? sounds fantastic!
And i am sure you can provide a full list for all the Keltic inscriptions found in the Atlantic-Bronze-age in order to illustrate that it was 'already partially (or wholly) Celtic-speaking'; Other wise it remains a somewhat abstruse theory (i like to underscore the term theory) that an Indo-European language was spoken (or wholly existed) in a non-Indo-European culture-zone;

I would def. look into the Archaeological data of the Unetice/Tumulus>Urnfield>Hallstatt expansions into the West of Europe and the subsequent influence on/in Iberia (migrations) from 9th cen BC [Curchin 2003] onwards - with Soto I-II, Cogotas II, Carpetani settlements/cultures, and Castro (Sorian landscape) and their strong containing influence of Hallstatt and contiunued LaTene - reflected in the Incineration rites, pottery, weaponry and ornaments - and an Indo-European language with Celtiberian as opposed to Iberian/Aquitani/Tartessian which are non-Indo-European languages;

Also note the Archaeological phenomenon of the Atlantic-Bronze-age defensive fortifications towards the East of it;

What you are doing is that you proclaim Lepontic must be Italic because you have (ad-hoc) determined that - because of your foregone conclusions - the bearers of the Golasecca culture must not have been spoken a Celtic language. And thats not how things go.

It is not ad-hoc;

The key points once again for Lepontic:
Indo-European language / Bronze-age Indo-European culture [Urnfield/proto-Golasecca(Canegrate) 12th cen BC) / 100% of all Lepontic inscr. retrieved/existed in the Golasecca zone / No breaks in Golasecca until LaTene B1 early 4th cen BC;

Pierre-Yves Lambert & Georges-Jean Pinault - Gaulois et Celtique Continental (2007)
Against this background, a Celticization of thé Golasecca area, i.e. thé introduction of an entirely new, Celtic, language, immediately before thé first appearance of Celtic linguistic documents seems highly implausible, and thé date suggesting itself for this process is rather at thé next previous cultural break, i.e. ça. 1200. Both this early stage "Proto-Lepontic" intro- duced with thé Canegrate culture and thé corresponding "Proto-Gaulish" could then hâve their common ancestor in thé language represented by thé early Urnfield culture north of thé Alps which was later followed by transalpine Hallstatt and finally LaTène.

I could be wrong but that sure sounds as if those French linguistic scholars from the EPHE agree with my crazy ad-hoc Archaeological based understanding; Now the 1200 BC Urnfield expansion is the basis for the Lepontic language which would thus correspond (common root) with proto-Keltic/Gaulish and if that is the case and that is the case - how far is it then to proto-Italic given the common Linguistic links, the Ethnological affiliation of Insubres/Umbrians and the Archaeological affiliation of Urnfield proto-Golasecca and Urnfield proto-Villanova (of the 12th cen BC);

It's not my main argument, and its not "virtually non-existent": if it was a fricative, then by definition the original sound was at that point lost. Lepontic is also Celtic because of ē > ī, ei > ē. Actually, I already have differentiated it. Proto-Italic, and I'm growing tired of repeating myself, has a shift of *bh-, *dh-, *gh- to *f-, *f-, *h-, while Lepontic apparently has *bh > *b.

Only if the shift of proto-Indo-European *bh-/*dh-/*gh- to Italic voiceless *f- already occurred in proto-Italic;
And that is something that is factually not attestable due to the non-existence of proto-Italic inscriptions but if Lepontic constitutes a form of proto-Italic than that shift from proto-Indo-European did not occurr until unanimously in the Italic/Sabellic languages; And yes app. (Conway 1968) Lepontic seems to have lost the asperiation in *bh-/*dh-/*gh-;

Sile, It doesn't make any sense to me to assume that the Romans ethnically cleanesed / exterminated the entire presence of your (Illyrian? Etruscan?) Alpine peoples and then resettled the region with subjects from Gaul...

where did you get cleansed from?........i doubt anybody anywhere got cleansed, maybe assimilated ..........the raetic, that got assimilated into Roman became Ladins, the others did not.

- Julius Caesar (Commentaries on the Gallic War) names the main town of the Veragri (Ver- as in 'Vercingetorix') as 'Octodurus' (today Martigny, Switzerland).

whats this have to do with it?

- The names Isarci, Runicates, Licates, Ambisontes (> Ambiani), Cosuanetes, Suanetes, Calucones, Seduni, Brixentes (> Brigantes), Medulli (> Medubrigenses), Caturiges (> Bituriges), Brigiani, Esubiani (> Esuvios), Nemeturi (> Nemetes, Nemetobriga), Nerusi (> Nervii, Nerii) and Velauni (> Cassivelaunus) also strike me as Celtic.

tribes considered probably Celtic by scholars are eliminated (Medulli, Ucenni, Caturiges, Brigiani, Sogionti, Ceutrones, Uberi, Nantuates, Sedunes, Veragri),[21 from the alpine list

- The name Focunates cannot be Celtic. It might be Italic (or Venetic), if its somehow related with the Latin word 'focus'.

more illyrian than venetic ........

- The one name in that list that strikes me as (perhaps) related with Etruscan (or "Raetic-Raetic", if you will) is "Trumplini". For that compare the word 'triumph', itself probably originally an Etruscan loanword. If that is correct (don't hold me for this, however), the "Trumplini" would be the "victorious ones". I might add their location, the Val Trompia (which is even today named after the tribe), places them in the vicinity to the Po plain again.

TRUMPILINI, CAMUNNI, STONI, are all Euganei tribes...........which originally where thought to be liguri, but are now known as Raetic ( there are 4 more and others, which I misplaced names) EDIT: Libui, Edrumi, Maletumi, Breuti and Volenes

Venetic language IMO, was really Euganei language, the veneti settled in NE italy absorbed some coastal Euganei tribes and used there language, which is why Venetic, west Raetic, East Raetic and Camunic are all very very similar ..........

and
And Italian historians list Spina and being founded by the Pelasgi.
- the Pelasgians dispersed to Crete, the Cyclades, Histaeotis, Boeotia, Phocis, Euboea, the coast along the Hellespont and the islands, especially Lesbos, which had been colonized by Macar son of Crinacus. Most went to Dodona and eventually being driven from there to Italy then called Saturnia. They landed at Spina at the mouth of the Po River.

- Taurisci of Noricum no longer associated with gallic Taurini (turin area), but classified with illyrian/pannonian group

Last edited:
Pierre-Yves Lambert & Georges-Jean Pinault - Gaulois et Celtique Continental (2007)
Against this background, a Celticization of thé Golasecca area, i.e. thé introduction of an entirely new, Celtic, language, immediately before thé first appearance of Celtic linguistic documents seems highly implausible, and thé date suggesting itself for this process is rather at thé next previous cultural break, i.e. ça. 1200. Both this early stage "Proto-Lepontic" intro- duced with thé Canegrate culture and thé corresponding "Proto-Gaulish" could then hâve their common ancestor in thé language represented by thé early Urnfield culture north of thé Alps which was later followed by transalpine Hallstatt and finally LaTène.

I could be wrong but that sure sounds as if those French linguistic scholars from the EPHE agree with my crazy ad-hoc Archaeological based understanding;
This quote is not from "those French linguistic scholars". It's from Jürgen Uhlich.
And in his article, the author is very clear on the fact that Lepontic clearly belongs to the Celtic branch of Indo-European.

This quote is not from "those French linguistic scholars". It's from Jürgen Uhlich.
And in his article, the author is very clear on the fact that Lepontic clearly belongs to the Celtic branch of Indo-European.

Than let me rephrase:
Seems like the German linguistic scholar Dr. Jürgen Uhlich from the Trinity College Dublin agrees with my crazy ad-hoc Archaeological based understanding; A view the two French linguistic scholars from the EPHE deemed so fit they included it in their book i.e. agree with as well;

Exactly i also said on the previous page that it is classified as P-Keltic closest to Gaulish and if you read the entire chapter you will see the similarities and diffs. to Gaulish;

'could then hâve their common ancestor in
thé language represented by thé early Urnfield culture north of thé Alps
'

I am saying: What sets the linguistic common ancestor of the proto-Golasseca apart from the common ancestor of proto-Villanova if they are (and they are) of the same Archaeological basis/migration (Bronze-age Urnfield 12th cen BC); Plus the other links to it that is all i am saying;

Than let me rephrase:
Seems like the German linguistic scholar Dr. Jürgen Uhlich from the Trinity College Dublin agrees with my crazy ad-hoc Archaeological based understanding; A view the two French linguistic scholars from the EPHE deemed so fit they included it in their book i.e. agree with as well;

Exactly i also said on the previous page that it is classified as P-Keltic closest to Gaulish and if you read the entire chapter you will see the similarities and diffs. to Gaulish;

'could then hâve their common ancestor in
thé language represented by thé early Urnfield culture north of thé Alps'

I am saying: What sets the linguistic common ancestor of the proto-Golasseca apart from the common ancestor of proto-Villanova if they are (and they are) of the same Archaeological basis/migration (Bronze-age Urnfield 12th cen BC); Plus the other links to it that is all i am saying;

I'm not the one here who apprently is denying that Lepontic is a Celtic language. See, the point where you are running into a problem here is that (and that sort of takes me back to Gustav Kossina) you assume that affiliation with an archaeological culture must automatically equate the adherence to a certain ethnic group. And with that premise, you assume that Lepontic must have been an Italic language (because you claim that Urnfield, if I get you right, must have spoken an undifferenciated "Italo-Celtic" language?). The assumption that the sound change *bh-, *dh-, *gh > *f-, *f-, *h- happened already in Proto-Italic is a likely one (Sir William of Ockham would agree with me), considering that this is found in all Italic languages and in Venetic.

Two fronts? sounds fantastic!
And i am sure you can provide a full list for all the Keltic inscriptions found in the Atlantic-Bronze-age in order to illustrate that it was 'already partially (or wholly) Celtic-speaking';

They are stored right next to your examples of Urnfield and Hallstatt culture inscriptions, I'm sure.
The point with all these cultures is that they were illiterate. What we do know is that by the time that the Romans conquered the west of the Iberian peninsula, the entire west of the Iberian peninsula is essentially Celtic (I'm meaning 'Celtic in the wider sense' - including Lusitanian), and we do have Celtic place names as far south and west as the Algarve (Lacobriga) and Andalusia (Nertobriga). And I don't see any practical way how even the Urnfield model could account for that.

Other wise it remains a somewhat abstruse theory (i like to underscore the term theory)

Ah. You mean, like the Theory of Gravity? Or the Theory of Relativity? Or maybe the Theory of Evolution. The word you're looking for here is 'hypothesis', mate.

that an Indo-European language was spoken (or wholly existed) in a non-Indo-European culture-zone;

I will tell you something: back when I first heard about Koch's 'Celtic from the West' concept, I was vehemently opposed to it. If you look up my earlier posts, you will see that. But, you cannot blame me for having learned something in the meantime, and I find that you can divide it conviniently into three parts:

1) The detachment of the Celtic languages from the Hallstatt/La-Tene model.

2) The idea that the Celtic languages originated in the Atlantic Façade during the Bronze Age.

3) The identification of Tartessian, the language of the Southwest of Iberia, as a (indeed, the oldest known) Celtic language.

Now, I personally think that he is spot-on with #1, I remain to have severe reservations against #2, and I definitely think that he is wrong about #3 (the debate what exactly Tartessian is, if it isn't Celtic, isn't completed however). Now, don't get me wrong, I find it likely (there are very good arguments) that the bearers of the Hallstatt Culture were Celts, but I think that archaeological cultures as ethnolinguistic absolutes is dead-wrong.

If we take the Urnfield Culture, for instance, the only part of the Iberian peninsula that is genuinely penetrated is the northeast, around Catalonia. Its vaguely plausible to argue that the later Celtiberians stem from this (I have my reservations for this), but by the Roman period, the northeast of the Iberian peninsula. To me, that isn't a paradox, because there's no reason why the non-Indo-European-speaking Iberians in Catalonia could have participated in the (apparently "culturally Indo-European") Urnfield culture while speaking a non-Indo-European language. So by what logic does then the Atlantic Bronze Age have to be necessarily non-Indo-European? I might also add a note on the Tartessians. Yes, their language was clearly non-Celtic, but its obvious (see Herodotus, see the personal name "Argantonios" of their king) that they were in contact with Celtic-speaking peoples, to the degree that they picked up Celtic personal names. Also, if you look at the map, you'll see that the more conservative Celtic languages are found towards the outermost west (Irish, Gallaecian and Lusitanian), so based on that, I find the idea that the Atlantic Bronze Age was largely or wholly Celtic-speaking quite suggestive. The problem is, again, if we think in archaeological absolutes, and make the Celtic languages into a purely Atlantic phenomenon, you create twenty more problems for the one you solve. The solution, to me, is a fairly simple one (though it requires seeing archaeological cultures not in absolutes): that the Celtic languages developed on two fronts. Is that such a leap?

where did you get cleansed from?........i doubt anybody anywhere got cleansed, maybe assimilated ..........the raetic, that got assimilated into Roman became Ladins, the others did not.

If I may quote yourself, earlier, on the subject:

the Romans always stated vindelici where part of the raeti ,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Droysens_Hist_Handatlas_S17_Germanien.jpg

but the name vindelici comes from raetian

The celtic version of history is a later change, maybe to glorify a worthwhile opponent for the Romans
This is wrong in naming towns that the Romans created after defeating the Raeti and their 45 tribes ............what is this logic?

In other words, you were the one who implied the ethnic cleansing part. And you're absolutely right, it makes no sense.

whats this have to do with it?

You were the one who claimed that there was virtually no Celtic presence in the Alps until after the Romans conquered the area. Which, of course, is plain wrong.

tribes considered probably Celtic by scholars are eliminated (Medulli, Ucenni, Caturiges, Brigiani, Sogionti, Ceutrones, Uberi, Nantuates, Sedunes, Veragri),[21 from the alpine list

more illyrian than venetic ........

Based on what? Would you be able to enlighten for us the linguistic features of Illyrian were and why the name "Focunates" in your opinion is Illyrian? You're free to provide a better etymology than I did.

TRUMPILINI, CAMUNNI, STONI, are all Euganei tribes...........which originally where thought to be liguri, but are now known as Raetic ( there are 4 more and others, which I misplaced names) EDIT: Libui, Edrumi, Maletumi, Breuti and Volenes

Venetic language IMO, was really Euganei language, the veneti settled in NE italy absorbed some coastal Euganei tribes and used there language, which is why Venetic, west Raetic, East Raetic and Camunic are all very very similar ..........

Again, what is your evidence?

I'm not the one here who apprently is denying that Lepontic is a Celtic language. See, the point where you are running into a problem here is that (and that sort of takes me back to Gustav Kossina) you assume that affiliation with an archaeological culture must automatically equate the adherence to a certain ethnic group. And with that premise, you assume that Lepontic must have been an Italic language

That is not a problem - in fact i found it quite easy to illustrate my point based on factual Archaeology and Linguistics; You can find all the sources and refs. in the previous posts;

The assumption that the sound change *bh-, *dh-, *gh > *f-, *f-, *h- happened already in Proto-Italic is a likely one (Sir William of Ockham would agree with me), considering that this is found in all Italic languages and in Venetic.

I dont want to cause too much trouble - but could i bother you and Sir Ockham to compile and reveal those proto-Italic inscriptions? maybe scan them and post them?
And Venetic shares more similarities to Keltic than to Italic - might seem familiar from the link on page one;

Prof. Dr. J. Gvozdanovic - Uni Heidelberg (2012)
http://www.jolr.ru/files/(83)jlr2012-7(33-46).pdf

(because you claim that Urnfield, if I get you right, must have spoken an undifferenciated "Italo-Celtic" language?).

No that is completely false;
The similarities between the Italic branch and Keltic branch within the Indo-European family comes from the common Indo-European root itself (C. Watkins 1966) and not from a common intermediate language unit (aka Italo-Celtic);

The similarities being: -ī genetive, -r endings, -a subjunctive, the /samo/ suffix, *p-*kw shifts, -b future etc. etc. which are of course also shared with other Indo-European branches such as Anatolian and Tocharian; And the Urnfield-complex was a much broader Indo-European culture complex; not associated with a single branch;

They are stored right next to your examples of Urnfield and Hallstatt culture inscriptions, I'm sure.
The point with all these cultures is that they were illiterate. What we do know is that by the time that the Romans conquered the west of the Iberian peninsula, the entire west of the Iberian peninsula is essentially Celtic (I'm meaning 'Celtic in the wider sense' - including Lusitanian), and we do have Celtic place names as far south and west as the Algarve (Lacobriga) and Andalusia (Nertobriga). And I don't see any practical way how even the Urnfield model could account for that.

I already gave you an answer to your Iberian problem (post#27) and it did not involve the Urnfield-complex; T Koch was deliberately wrong about Tartessian and the rest are just his add-on theories and constructs;

Ah. You mean, like the Theory of Gravity? Or the Theory of Relativity? Or maybe the Theory of Evolution. The word you're looking for here is 'hypothesis', mate.

Gravitation is not a theory i.e. Laws of Gravity;

Again, what is your evidence?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the ancient Celtic position 750BC, where are the vindelici in regards to the map?

The celtic area in central western Germany fits where the 2013 conference stated was the homeland of R-U152. it also stated that the celts marched into and over the alps..........this makes logical sense in bringing R-U152 to Italy and the alps.

And I state again the vindelici where named as per my link on previous post. I am not denying that being neighbours of the Celts in their north that they did not take Celtic customs and language, but this was later on.

Who is to know that the La Tene and Halstatt celtic areas where not just fortified outposts as per archeology.........if the area was fully Celtic, then the Romans in 15BC would have fought against zero Raetic but the more prestige Celtic tribes.

The evidence that Venetic language was not euganei ....is that your question?............then I ask, do you expect that the migrating veneti came from Homer's Anatolia or Havard's Turkmenistan to bring the Venetic language from these areas into North-east Italy and then convert the raetic and camunic people to learn this Venetic language ..because they are very very close.
or
logically in my thinking, the Veneti came to NE-Italy and accepted the Euganei language ( as they where the only people in NE-Italy) and then someone called it Venetic

I dont want to cause too much trouble - but could i bother you and Sir Ockham to compile and reveal those proto-Italic inscriptions? maybe scan them and post them?

Well, in the same manner that you can provide us with Celtic inscriptions from the Hallstatt Culture (hint: there are none, as the Hallstatt people were iliterate).

The sound shift *bh-, *dh-, *gh- > *f-, *f-, *h- is attested in Latin, Oscan, Umbrian, Venetic, etc. - its logical to argue that this feature was present before the languages differentiated. Conversely, its logical to argue that the development *kw > *p happened independently in Celtic, Italic and Greek - or at a point when the language families were already differentiated, as in Celtic the development *kw > *p clearly postdates the loss of Proto-Indo-European *p (this is, again, why Lepontic is a Celtic language), while both the Greek and Italic preserve *p.

And Venetic shares more similarities to Keltic than to Italic - might seem familiar from the link on page one;

Prof. Dr. J. Gvozdanovic - Uni Heidelberg (2012)
http://www.jolr.ru/files/(83)jlr2012-7(33-46).pdf

What can I say other than 'Gvozdanovic is wrong about this'? Venetic is closer with the Italic languages (not only the development *bh-, *dh-, *gh- > *f-, *f-, *h-, but also the treatment of syllabic resonants, in which by the way is also one of the points why Lepontic in turn is firmly a Celtic language).

No that is completely false;
The similarities between the Italic branch and Keltic branch within the Indo-European family comes from the common Indo-European root itself (C. Watkins 1966) and not from a common intermediate language unit (aka Italo-Celtic);

I'm sorry, but I thought that was your point, because you gave us that impression by consistently arguing that Lepontic wasn't Celtic (which it is)...

The similarities being: -ī genetive, -r endings, -a subjunctive, the /samo/ suffix, *p-*kw shifts, -b future etc. etc. which are of course also shared with other Indo-European branches such as Anatolian and Tocharian; And the Urnfield-complex was a much broader Indo-European culture complex; not associated with a single branch;

You are wrong (and you're certainly, perhaps even deliberately, misquoting Watkins there), the *p_kw > *kw_kw shift is not attested in either Tocharian (Tocharian A "pänt", Tocharian B "pinkte") or Anatolian.

I already gave you an answer to your Iberian problem (post#27) and it did not involve the Urnfield-complex;

Actually, you didn't. In fact you dodged the question about Gallaecia, the Lusitanians and the Celtici in the southwest. I admit that the latter is offtopic (kind of).

T Koch was deliberately wrong about Tartessian and the rest are just his add-on theories and constructs;

I actually don't think that Koch was deliberately wrong, but just wrong about it.

This is the ancient Celtic position 750BC, where are the vindelici in regards to the map?

In the eastern part of the blue area, towards the border of the Hallstatt D area. The closest archaeological sites that are marked on the map are Heuneburg and Ipf, which are both relatively close to Kempten and Augsburg.

The evidence that Venetic language was not euganei ....is that your question?............then I ask, do you expect that the migrating veneti came from Homer's Anatolia or Havard's Turkmenistan to bring the Venetic language from these areas into North-east Italy and then convert the raetic and camunic people to learn this Venetic language ..because they are very very close.
or
logically in my thinking, the Veneti came to NE-Italy and accepted the Euganei language ( as they where the only people in NE-Italy) and then someone called it Venetic

The paragraph above doesn't make any sense to, sorry. My question was, why do you believe that the ethnic name "Focunates" was Illyrian, and based on what. Likewise, you much earlier (post #5) claimed that the name "Vindelici" was Raetian. I provided you with a possible Celtic etymology of the name, and would like you provide us with a Raetian one:

the Romans always stated vindelici where part of the raeti ,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/Droysens_Hist_Handatlas_S17_Germanien.jpg

but the name vindelici comes from raetian

In the eastern part of the blue area, towards the border of the Hallstatt D area. The closest archaeological sites that are marked on the map are Heuneburg and Ipf, which are both relatively close to Kempten and Augsburg.

The paragraph above doesn't make any sense to, sorry. My question was, why do you believe that the ethnic name "Focunates" was Illyrian, and based on what. Likewise, you much earlier (post #5) claimed that the name "Vindelici" was Raetian. I provided you with a possible Celtic etymology of the name, and would like you provide us with a Raetian one:

Aquileja is the only town under celtic influence when imposing the maps on each other and Guntia is the border town.
Augusta town is neither a Vindelici or celtic town, but 100% Roman, built as a crossroad center for expansion northwards........it has little reference to anyone except the Romans

Augusta is a name given to a number of towns founded or colonized by Augustus. Augusta Vindelicorum (Augsburg), capital of Vindelicia, or Rhaetia (also spelled Raetia) Secunda, on the Licus (Lech), was colonized by Drusus under Augustus, after the conquest of Rhaeti in 14 BCE. Vindelicia was a Roman province south of the Danube, which separated it from Germany. It was bounded on the west by the territory of the Helvetti in Gaul, on the south by Rhaetia, and on the east by the river Oenus (Inn), which separated it from Noricum, thus corresponding to the northeast part of Switzerland, the southeast of Baden, the south of Wuertemberg and Bavaria, and the north part of the Tyrol. It was originally part of the province of Rhaetia, and was conquered by Tiberius in the reign of Augustus. Later Rhaetia was divided into two provinces: Rhaetia Prima and Rhaetia Secunda. The latter became Vindelicia. It was drained by the tributaries of the Danube, of which the most important were the Licus (Lech), with its tributaries, the Vindo or Vidro (Wertach), the Isarus (Isar) and Oenus (Inn). The greater part of the Vindelicia was a plain, but the south portion was occupied by the northern slopes of the Alpes Rhaeticae. It derived its name from its chief inhabitants, the Vindelici, a warlike people dwelling in the southern part of the country. Their name is said to have been formed form the two rivers, Vinda and Licus.

Focunates came from Wilten ( innsbruck )...Illyrians

The Inn river valley's advantageous geographical position made it a natural choice for early settlers. During the Bronze Age, Illyrians populated the valley areas that proved safe areas from the threat of flooding. Remnants of Illyrian urns can be found in the districts of Wilten, Hötting and Mühlau, whilst artefacts originating from an Illyrian settlement were unearthed on the hill at Vill. Numerous districts of present-day Innsbruck bear names derived from those of the ancient settlements, such as Aldrans, Lans, Igls and Vill.

Bronze-age Hotting culture

Aquileja is the only town under celtic influence when imposing the maps on each other and Guntia is the border town.
Augusta town is neither a Vindelici or celtic town, but 100% Roman, built as a crossroad center for expansion northwards........it has little reference to anyone except the Romans

Really now? No offense, but your understanding of geography and mine must be very different...

To quote myself earlier on the object:

Sorry, but this makes no sense. Vindelicia was archaeologically part of the La-Tene homeland, there are plenty of Celtic place names, river names etc. in the area. If you claim "Vindelici comes from Raetian"? Which one? "Raetic-Raetic" (the Etruscan-like language from the Bolzano area, as we discussed in the other thread), Venetic, or Celtic? To me the names "Vindelici" and "Lech" are both obviously Celtic:

- Common Celtic *windo- means 'white', 'fair' (compare Irish "fionn", Welsh "gwyn"). There is also the 'Vindium montes' mountains in Spain.
- Common Celtic *likko- means 'rock' or 'slab' (compare Breton "lec'h" and Welsh "llech"). Further, there is also a cognate in Greek, "πλακος" (Celtic loss of the *p sound from PIE!).

I might also hint that the name "Isar" has parallels in France (Isère) and in the Czech Republic (Jizera), and the river name is probably Celtic, as is the river name "Lech".

Focunates came from Wilten ( innsbruck )...Illyrians

Actually you did not answer my question at all. You just assign a label to them ('Illyrian'), without a real explanation.

I would also like to point you to something very general: the Romans did care preciously little about ethnography, and I think it is a blunder to assume that provincial boundaries that were drawn onto the map by them were in any way representative of ethnic boundaries. In that regard, the Romans were very much like the European colonial powers in Africa of the 19th century. For exactly these purposes, the Romans lumped together Raetia and Vindelicia, but keeping the provincial capital at Augsburg.

What I find odd is that in the other thread, you yourself actually had the ethnic situation summed up to the point in the other thread (which is why I don't understand your insistence here):

There was a paper last year which had this break down
- Ligurians (have been stated to be non-IE, but are now usually seen as "para-Celtic“ and "pre-Celtic")
- Celtic tribes (Gaulish and Lepontic)
- Raeti and Etruscans (related, non-IE)
- Veneti (close to Italic, but with a few other affinities, Raeti and possibly with Illyrian, certainly with Germanic)

I might also hint that the name "Isar" has parallels in France (Isère) and in the Czech Republic (Jizera), and the river name is probably Celtic, as is the river name "Lech".

I don't know what you are trying to prove via river names, it makes no sense............but Sill name is in Innsbruck corresponds to Sil in Veneto ( in venetian ) to Sile in current Italian in Veneto............what does all this mean!, the rivers where one of the same?...........they where named by the same culture of people? and have been modified over time!...

Actually you did not answer my question at all. You just assign a label to them ('Illyrian'), without a real explanation.

I would also like to point you to something very general: the Romans did care preciously little about ethnography, and I think it is a blunder to assume that provincial boundaries that were drawn onto the map by them were in any way representative of ethnic boundaries. In that regard, the Romans were very much like the European colonial powers in Africa of the 19th century.

Historians named them so and in post#36 ..........it would seem that the term Vindelici is purely created by Romans after the conquest of Raetic lands in 15BC...........we now need to see if the term Vindelici was lazily appied by modern historians using Roman data from 15BC................I will find more information.
If the case is so, then clearly you cannot claim Vindelici as celtic because they where not around, it was all Raetic....and if it was all raetic, then will you claim they where celts?

What I find odd is that in the other thread, you yourself actually had the ethnic situation summed up to the point in the other thread (which is why I don't understand your insistence here):

Because if I find something which is relevant to someone, regardless if I agree or disagree I show it

Last edited:
if you read the Roman history on the area, the term vindelici was used to give credit to the Tribune Drusus who conquered the lower german alps ( "vindelici" lands ), while the other remained under the name Rhaeti for credit to the Tribune Tiberius for his glory.
Raeti land was split for some sort of reward, be it governance or whatever for the Tribunes involved.

Did it ever exist prior to the Roman occupation?

Last edited:
Actually Romans really were doing it like Europeans in Africa as mentioned earlier on this thread. So how much truth there is behind that is doubtful, and Illyrian?? what is Illyrian first?? who were they?? can you just by fingertipping assigning them to different people...For me REAL pure Illyrian is region of Delmatea, Ardiaei, Dardanii, Taulantii, Labeates, Autariates, Daorsi, Plerai >> The rest is just putting them to those cuz they are similar. And yes I have checked Illyrian rulers most of them came from Ardiaie, Taulanti and Dardani Tribes (like 90%).
The most notable Illyrian kingdoms and dynasties were those of Bardyllis of the Dardani and of Agron of the Ardiaei who created the last and best-known Illyrian kingdom (source wiki Illyria)
Sure some will claim Pannoni (Illyrian with celtic)
Then some can claim Enchelejde (Illyrian with hellenic influence)
Paeoni (Thraco_illyrian and probably hellenic)
Bylliones (Greeko-Illyrian)
Liburni and Histri (Much Venetic with illyrian)

The prospective world was south Balkan in ancient times.

like nowadays everyone is interested in Western Countries.

Rhaeto-Rumantsch is spoken in east switzerland =)

This thread has been viewed 63867 times.

Back