another paper on Mtdna Iberia

Why ?
You are lying, nobody has ever said that haplogroup "E" in Europe or Iberia is Palaeolithic....at least not me personally, another thing is mesolithic, but that would be in South-East Europe, most probably. Anyways, we know nothing, since the ancient samples we have are scarce.

Be careful who you call a liar. Oh yes, you personally...

Wilhelm:
"of the total 6% of E1b1b of Iberia about 4.6% is M-81 and it is of paleolithic origin."

You really shouldn't argue about things like this with someone who has almost total recall.

Ed. Oh, and you can also find posts there about the relocation of the population of Granada to the north and west after the Reconquista. So, there are indeed historical treatments of the issue in Spanish. Strange that you haven't incorporated that material into your speculations.(Yes, I read Spanish. There was a time when I studied in Spain, and was quite fond of it and its people. You are making me seriously reconsider that opinion.)

Be careful who you call a liar. Oh yes, you personally...

Wilhelm:
"of the total 6% of E1b1b of Iberia about 4.6% is M-81 and it is of paleolithic origin."

You really shouldn't argue about things like this with someone who has almost total recall.
LOL, what is this from, like 5 years ago ??

Ed. Oh, and you can also find posts there about the relocation of the population of Granada to the north and west after the Reconquista. So, there are indeed historical treatments of the issue in Spanish. Strange that you haven't incorporated that material into your speculations.(Yes, I read Spanish. There was a time when I studied in Spain, and was quite fond of it and its people. You are making me seriously reconsider that opinion.)
Yes, there were relocations , That doesn't mean the entire population was replaced. In fact the 70% R1b seems to follow the pattern East-West therefore seems to be native from the area, more than in Galicia, Asturias, CAstille (parts of northern Spain in which the repopulators came to Granada).

Why you italians so agreessive ? Seems like your life depends on it, wow.

Someone asked for ancient mtDNA L in Iberia. There you are the samples mentioned by Wilhelm, which appear as L2 (the same as 5 of those samples from Huelva). Too bad there's no more resolution available.

http://realhistoryww.com/world_history/ancient/Misc/Data/European_genes_table_by_location.htm

Only one L3 in Granada, by far the most relevant population regarding the Muslim influence...curiously enough, people weren't interested on that and prefered to focus on the data which seemed to match their usual rhetoric. Big surprise LOL.

Can any of the Iberian posters suggest the reason why mtdna U6 is more common in NW Iberia and in western France even up to 4.5pc in Finistere on the western tip of Brittany.

U6 isn't just "Moorish" because how could a female-mediated haplogroup be so common along the Atlantic shore of western Europe in areas never ruled by the "Moors".

U6 is not even a major haplogroup in North Africa (Mozabites excepted), ranging from 0 to 10pc in most areas.

"Pretty conclusive" cherry-picking, as his usual strategy has been since day 1, conveniently "forgetting" or trying to give a spin to other studies that suggest any different from what he wants to hear, as plainly seen in this thread, which are his very first interventions in these forums, after "another" angry Italian user ("Wormhole") with a suspiciously similar agenda was permanently evicted from the forum for rampant racist remarks:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/26815-Autosomal-map-European-admixture-(from-Dodecad)/page8

Wormhole I see had a Canadian Flag, how do you know he was Italian?

LeBrock has a canadian flag also

The time depth regarding maternal lines makes not possible to give an exact explanation. Quite a lot of the U6 in Europe could be at least as old as H, I have the feeling that, in the distant past, this line was quite popular in West Eurasia, not just North Africa or Western Europe. Many migration patterns could be correct, I do not discard an early offshoot from North Africa to Iberia and then to the rest of Europe.

You certainly are not so ingenuous, are you? I think you know perfectly well why. The people obsessed with them "Moors" in Iberia are the ones who for their respective agendas are trying to manipulate the history of Spain and Portugal to try to argue that the Iberians of today are not the same as the Iberians of ancient times, and that during the Middle Ages a "huge" change happened that altered the racial/ethnic make-up of these countries. You being an Italian and all should already know what this is all about very well, since the same people try to do it to you as well but by using events particular to Italian history instead. Example:

http://www.amazon.com/From-Slave-Emperor-Historians-Reasons/dp/1493783599

As for your attempt at mocking historical scholarship: it is not far fetched at all that a minority of foreigners managed to take over large parts of Iberia. It had been done before by both Romans and Germanics, so nothing "strange" here. And it has also happened in other parts of the world as well. For example: it took less than 200 Spaniards to defeat the entire empire of the Incas. Military conquests, again, do not require huge numbers of people. The Islamic army that entered Iberia in the 8th century AD was only a few thousand strong, and the Iberian Peninsula already had several million inhabitants. Most people in a given country are NOT combatants. They actually stand aside and watch the people struggling for power duke it out among themselves. To boot, the Iberian population at the time did not like the Visigoths and their inept government and constant fighting among themselves for power, so the Muslims were in fact seen as a welcome intervention to help get rid of them.

I'm afraid you're operating under a misapprehension about my position on this as on other matters. No one could have been more surprised than I was by the Ralph and Coop paper. I've studied the history of my country, and of Rome as part of that endeavor, my whole life, and have read the same things about slavery and its supposed impact on Italian genetics as everyone else. I accepted it almost without question. Slavery was a fact of life in all of the ancient Empires, (and in modern ones like the U.S., certain British possessions, the Spanish and Portuguese areas of the New World as well) The acquisition of slaves was, after all, both one of the goals of empire building, and one of the bulwarks of those empires.

Has it annoyed me that the emphasis was always on the slaves from the Near East and North Africa, and nary a word was said about the multitudes of slaves from Germania and Gaul and Spain and Pannonia and the Balkans as well? Yes, of course it has, just as it has annoyed me that it isn't obvious to people that those slaves were spread all over the empire. But ultimately what difference does it make what some racists think? As my father always said, they're just jealous, lol. When you have true pride in who you are and who your people are, warts and all, the opinions of foreigners just doesn't matter very much. (How the historical record, scant as it is, can be reconciled with the IBD analyses being done is a question for another thread. This isn't a thread about Italy, you know, much as you are attempting to make it one.)

Which brings me to another point. I don't think it's gone unobserved that every time some one mentions any SSA or North African admixture in Iberians, or mtDNA "L" or yDNA "E" in Iberia, the immediate response is...well, there's some in France or Britain or Germany too. The strongest rejoinder, however, seems to be...well, the Italians have more. Were it true in every instance, for argument's sake, how does it make your (in a general sense) situation any better? It doesn't, so far as I can see. It also makes you subject to mockery because it is such a ridiculous tack to take. I recall one epic thread where the claim first was, well, we don't have as much of x as Italy. When that was shown to be untrue, it was, well, we don't have as much as southern Italy. Then it had to become well, at least we don't have as much as Sicily. I thought the heights of absurdity had been reached, but I was wrong. The claim then became that we don't have as much as *western* Sicily! Surely you see the ridiculousness of these arguments? The genetic evidence is what it is...you're not persuading anybody to the contrary by these bizarre antics. I'm afraid you're going to have to deal with it sooner or later. (Oh, and the much maligned and very proud Sicilians in my experience don't give a ***** ***about any of this. Nor do the Calabrians and Apulians. The only comment I've ever heard is oh no, does that Northern European mean German or Irish or something? Prejudice doesn't only run in one direction, you know.)

Now, after this philosophical detour, back to the North African impact on Iberia. As I said to one of your compatriots, my view in most cases is that there is rarely full scale replacement involved with population movements. Rather, the genetic data show a sequence of layers of dna.

In the case of Iberia, north African genetic markers do not appear to have arrived in the Mesolithic, at least not from the results so far.

The Neolithic, as it applies to Iberia, has traditionally been held to come from the east either along the northern littoral of the Mediterranean, or by sea. However, an argument could be made from a recent paper or two (You really are going to have to do your own research.) that there was movement from North Africa into Iberia, or at least southern Iberia during the early Neolithic.

Then, despite your protestations, a cluster or so might date from the Carthaginians, not only because of the trading posts, but because so many of them were in Spain with Hannibal. The slaves brought to Spain and Portugal during the days of the Empire are another possibility, as are, despite the hysteria into which it sends Iberians, the Moors.

The ONLY way to sort all this out is to do the hard work of breaking down these uniparental markers into sub-clusters and then attempting to date them. Until that is done, this is all just speculation, by you and by me.

Oh, and if you're going to insist that all of this is Neolithic, you're still going to have to explain why there is an east/west cline. In terms of the relocations after the Reconquista, how would the R1b percentages change if Moors were relocated? They wouldn't.

And of course, all of this is irrelevant as to the issue of whether Iberians have North African admixture. It isn't less "brown" when it's older, you know. Embrace your diversity...I do.

And now, I'm going to use whatever time I have left today on something other than Spanish dna. Fascinating no doubt, but I have other interests.

I'm afraid you're operating under a misapprehension about my position on this as.......... despite the hysteria into which it sends Iberians, the Moors.

The ONLY way to sort all this out is to do the hard work of breaking down these uniparental markers into sub-clusters and then attempting to date them. Until that is done, this is all just speculation, by you and by me.

............................................... the R1b percentages change if Moors were relocated? They wouldn't.

And of course, all of this is irrelevant as to the issue of whether Iberians have North African admixture. It isn't less "brown" when it's older, you know. Embrace your diversity...I do.

And now, I'm going to use whatever time I have left today on something other than Spanish dna. Fascinating no doubt, but I have other interests.

they did not install in you light on all floors, it would seem. Either otherwise you grilled light bulbs or melted fuses.

they did not install in you light on all floors, it would seem. Either otherwise you grilled light bulbs or melted fuses.

cheap comment............also known as, I have no come back.....I will deflect

I have never understood why some iberians deny the fact of north-african migration paths of peoples and only accept, sea migration (?) or of northern migration paths.

cheap comment............also known as, I have no come back.....I will deflect

I have never understood why some iberians deny the fact of north-african migration paths of peoples and only accept, sea migration (?) or of northern migration paths.

Your retorts is poor and stupid, as you and I guess you.
Can be you detest spanishes because you envy them in the same way as the unable envy people who succeed

Your retorts is poor and stupid, as you and I guess you.
Can be you detest spanishes because you envy them in the same way as the unable envy people who succeed

I don't detest Spaniards at all

you are just too paranoid, ...........paranoia is when you believe you are inferior ..............I will let you believe that.

You need to not care about nationalistic things when you are on forums like this, because nations and genetics do not mix

Can any of the Iberian posters suggest the reason why mtdna U6 is more common in NW Iberia and in western France even up to 4.5pc in Finistere on the western tip of Brittany.

U6 isn't just "Moorish" because how could a female-mediated haplogroup be so common along the Atlantic shore of western Europe in areas never ruled by the "Moors".

U6 is not even a major haplogroup in North Africa (Mozabites excepted), ranging from 0 to 10pc in most areas.

U6 in fact may not even be North African after all but actually Middle Eastern in origin:

Sequencing of 81 entire human mitochondrial DNAs (mtDNAs) belonging to haplogroups M1 and U6 reveals that these predominantly North African clades arose in southwestern Asia and moved together to Africa about 40,000 to 45,000 years ago. [...] Thus, the early Upper Palaeolithic population(s) carrying M1 and U6 did not return to Africa along the southern coastal route of the "out of Africa" exit, but from the Mediterranean area.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/314/5806/1767

At the risk of sounding like a broken record -but it's just impossible not to address this obsession that even some "professionals" have with "Moors" in Iberia- the main reason why U6 used to be considered "African" and perhaps having something to do with the Islamic period in earlier studies was in fact because it had been mainly detected in Iberia, particularly on the western side, but once it started to show up elsewhere in considerable frequencies then the opinions regarding its origins changed.

Wormhole I see had a Canadian Flag, how do you know he was Italian?

LeBrock has a canadian flag also

If you read many of Wormhole's posts you will easily conclude that he was of Italian descent. He did not have to spell it out. It was very clear.

I'm afraid you're operating under a misapprehension about my position on this as on other matters. No one could have been more surprised than I was by the Ralph and Coop paper. I've studied the history of my country, and of Rome as part of that endeavor, my whole life, and have read the same things about slavery and its supposed impact on Italian genetics as everyone else. I accepted it almost without question. Slavery was a fact of life in all of the ancient Empires, (and in modern ones like the U.S., certain British possessions, the Spanish and Portuguese areas of the New World as well) The acquisition of slaves was, after all, both one of the goals of empire building, and one of the bulwarks of those empires.

Has it annoyed me that the emphasis was always on the slaves from the Near East and North Africa, and nary a word was said about the multitudes of slaves from Germania and Gaul and Spain and Pannonia and the Balkans as well? Yes, of course it has, just as it has annoyed me that it isn't obvious to people that those slaves were spread all over the empire. But ultimately what difference does it make what some racists think? As my father always said, they're just jealous, lol. When you have true pride in who you are and who your people are, warts and all, the opinions of foreigners just doesn't matter very much. (How the historical record, scant as it is, can be reconciled with the IBD analyses being done is a question for another thread. This isn't a thread about Italy, you know, much as you are attempting to make it one.)

Which brings me to another point. I don't think it's gone unobserved that every time some one mentions any SSA or North African admixture in Iberians, or mtDNA "L" or yDNA "E" in Iberia, the immediate response is...well, there's some in France or Britain or Germany too. The strongest rejoinder, however, seems to be...well, the Italians have more. Were it true in every instance, for argument's sake, how does it make your (in a general sense) situation any better? It doesn't, so far as I can see. It also makes you subject to mockery because it is such a ridiculous tack to take. I recall one epic thread where the claim first was, well, we don't have as much of x as Italy. When that was shown to be untrue, it was, well, we don't have as much as southern Italy. Then it had to become well, at least we don't have as much as Sicily. I thought the heights of absurdity had been reached, but I was wrong. The claim then became that we don't have as much as *western* Sicily! Surely you see the ridiculousness of these arguments? The genetic evidence is what it is...you're not persuading anybody to the contrary by these bizarre antics. I'm afraid you're going to have to deal with it sooner or later. (Oh, and the much maligned and very proud Sicilians in my experience don't give a ***** ***about any of this. Nor do the Calabrians and Apulians. The only comment I've ever heard is oh no, does that Northern European mean German or Irish or something? Prejudice doesn't only run in one direction, you know.)

Now, after this philosophical detour, back to the North African impact on Iberia. As I said to one of your compatriots, my view in most cases is that there is rarely full scale replacement involved with population movements. Rather, the genetic data show a sequence of layers of dna.

In the case of Iberia, north African genetic markers do not appear to have arrived in the Mesolithic, at least not from the results so far.

The Neolithic, as it applies to Iberia, has traditionally been held to come from the east either along the northern littoral of the Mediterranean, or by sea. However, an argument could be made from a recent paper or two (You really are going to have to do your own research.) that there was movement from North Africa into Iberia, or at least southern Iberia during the early Neolithic.

Then, despite your protestations, a cluster or so might date from the Carthaginians, not only because of the trading posts, but because so many of them were in Spain with Hannibal. The slaves brought to Spain and Portugal during the days of the Empire are another possibility, as are, despite the hysteria into which it sends Iberians, the Moors.

Oh, and if you're going to insist that all of this is Neolithic, you're still going to have to explain why there is an east/west cline. In terms of the relocations after the Reconquista, how would the R1b percentages change if Moors were relocated? They wouldn't.

The reason why Italians are sometimes brought up in these threads I think you know it all too well: they are in fact sometimes started or constantly assailed by some Italian posters with strange ideas and agendas. We are just giving them the replies that they apparently ask so much for.

Regarding the dating of "African" DNA in Iberia: I think you already have seen the results of such attempts so far, like in Moorjani et al. or Lazaridis et al., and they show that this DNA in Iberia predates even the advent of Islam itself (7th century AD) by centuries, if not even millennia, so needless to say any Islamic presence in Iberia (8th century AD) as well. This older age, coupled with the geographical distribution of this DNA in the Iberian Peninsula (west to east cline, not south to north), pretty much favors the opinion that this ancestry has little to do with any minority of "Moors" from the Middle Ages.

If you read many of Wormhole's posts you will easily conclude that he was of Italian descent. He did not have to spell it out. It was very clear.

and you deciphered this over time............well let me try, you have:
USA flag
Aragon/catalan shield
English heraldric crown
defender of Iberic people

hmm....hard decision..........unsure.........who cares about nationalism on this site!

The reason why Italians are sometimes brought up in these threads I think you know it all too well: they are in fact sometimes started or constantly assailed by some Italian posters with strange ideas and agendas. We are just giving them the replies that they apparently ask so much for.

Regarding the dating of "African" DNA in Iberia: I think you already have seen the results of such attempts so far, like in Moorjani et al. or Lazaridis et al., and they show that this DNA in Iberia predates even the advent of Islam itself (7th century AD) by centuries, if not even millennia, so needless to say any Islamic presence in Iberia (8th century AD) as well. This older age, coupled with the geographical distribution of this DNA in the Iberian Peninsula (west to east cline, not south to north), pretty much favors the opinion that this ancestry has little to do with any minority of "Moors" from the Middle Ages.

what strange ideas ................never read any in 2 years...............the only nationalistic, propaganda, indoctrinated people I have seen on these forums are slavs, albanians and iberians

At the risk of sounding like a broken record -but it's just impossible not to address this obsession that even some "professionals" have with "Moors" in Iberia- the main reason why U6 used to be considered "African" and perhaps having something to do with the Islamic period in earlier studies was in fact because it had been mainly detected in Iberia, particularly on the western side, but once it started to show up elsewhere in considerable frequencies then the opinions regarding its origins changed.
Obsessing about obsession of other's "obsession"?

I don't detest Spaniards at all

you are just too paranoid, ...........paranoia is when you believe you are inferior ..............I will let you believe that.

You need to not care about nationalistic things when you are on forums like this, because nations and genetics do not mix

it is normal since I am with Spanish parents 1187221678.gif

and you deciphered this over time............well let me try, you have:
USA flag
Aragon/catalan shield
English heraldric crown
defender of Iberic people

hmm....hard decision..........unsure.........who cares about nationalism on this site!

It does not take Sherlock Holmes to easily figure out what his ancestry was. You can very often easily tell from the content of someone's posts. You just have to pay attention.

what strange ideas ................never read any in 2 years...............the only nationalistic, propaganda, indoctrinated people I have seen on these forums are slavs, albanians and iberians

Apparently you haven't been paying attention for the last 2 years, because there has been quite a bit of it coming not from those groups you mention but from some Italians.

This thread has been viewed 46874 times.

Back