Brown-skinned, blue-eyed, Y-haplogroup C-bearing European hunter-gatherer from Spain

Instead people have used his genes as proof of a homogeneous reality. I don't understand that there is such a rush to judgement about ONE person's DNA being sequenced as being representative of the whole of Europe 7000 years ago. He is afterall one of the first people of this era to have his Y Chromosome discovered, we may never know about the rest.> 1
The faces of Europe have probably always been diverse. Which one was the most prevalent is no doubt rather hard to prove on such scant evidence.
Just think about the burial practices we have today, we burn a huge amount of our Wouldn´t the contexts in which these bodies have been discovered be like a modern person dying today as a wanderer or on the fringes of the local society being discovered in the future? > 2
People could build in the time of La Brana 1's death. Why was he holed up in a cave up a mountain? Does this imply that he was representative of those who lived in settlements or that he was on the fringe of the local society? Considering fairly complex settlements existed back then such as in Turkey, when you find someone dead in a cave, sure it preserves them better, but does it represent society back then? >3
[...] whiteness evolved in only a few thousand years, why do they think it couldn't have happened multiple times from whenever a culture entered the environment that allowed whiteness to evolve? >4
[...] This was based upon blondness not being very resilient. Then I went to Scandinavia and saw that young children who had one African parent and a Swedish one would have darker skin and African faces but golden afro hair on multiple occasions. In the same way when I met Swedish families who had a middle eastern/persian parent and a white parent, the children came out pale with bright red hair and dark brown eyes. It leads me to believe the more we learn the more confusing things get, so trying to make a rule is unwise. [...]. With that, a lot of Jewish people are and were historically red haired which may have originated in a similar way to my middle eastern friends red haired children. Middle eastern plus lighter skinned admixture perhaps makes red hair, Shakespeare often portrayed Jewish characters with red wigs. The proudest man I ever met was a Pakistani man with a red moustache, he explained to me it made him incredibly popular back home. >5
[/QUOTE]

1: Lebrok answered this: La Brana auDNA is not the only Mesolithic one discovered today -
2: OK concerning the worth of this lonesome man 's remnant as standard of the whole population of the time in the surrounding places; concerning faces, NO, the faces of ancient population individuals, if very often there was some variability in ancient populations, very often, some groups had very different means tendancies, and with time new mixings and crossings between different groups became visible what would have not possible if a gradual variability had always existed.
3: a bit synonymous to your 2: OK too: I said that concerning the sepultures of Metals ages, where we can expect an elite segragation.
4: "whiteness": rather light or strong depigmentation of skin: nobody serious ever said there has been only ONE mutation: mutations occurred on different loci and we don't know for sure yet what "penetrance" these mutations have; by the way, the most of Europoids share the same mutation ("caucasians") and a great number of them too share the others mutations having a depigmenting effect; maybe are we yet ignoring other skin lighntening mutations - and maybe, even, some skin DARKENING mutation exists too!
5: here you lack of methodic surveys about crossings; and the somewhat light hairs of young childre born by crossings between Europeans and Sub Saharians (by origin) very often darken; and the Sub-Saharian dominant darkness for hair can conceal an europoid light inherited trait (see N-W Africa); NO a blond North European mixing with a dark haired Near-Eastern would not have big chances to give birth to a red hair children! You can read something serious about transmission and distribution of pigmentation, abour red hairs by instance, knowing that we have still things to learn about that. Jews are a speific case and it's not all the communities which shows this strong tendancy to red hairs (5% in someones, very fewer in others).
just my point

I find this thread very interesting. It is curious because I saw a documentary that claimed light eyes originated in Turkey and that was well accepted. Back then I thought, "Why if we were capable of developing light eyes, couldn´t it have happened multiple times before and again because of the same stimulus?". La Brana man comes along and seems to indicate he had no Turkish origin. Instead people have used his genes as proof of a homogeneous reality. I don't understand that there is such a rush to judgement about ONE person's DNA being sequenced as being representative of the whole of Europe 7000 years ago. He is afterall one of the first people of this era to have his Y Chromosome discovered, we may never know about the rest. If our society fell apart, and 7,000 years later someone found a Romani burial and said, "Ah, this is what Europeans once looked like", it wouldn't be untrue but it also wouldn't be representative. The faces of Europe have probably always been diverse. Which one was the most prevalent is no doubt rather hard to prove on such scant evidence. Just think about the burial practices we have today, we burn a huge amount of our dead. We know that funeral pyres, dismemberment of the dead and burial in ways that do not preserve the body have existed for thousands of years. We are stuck examining people who died sometimes in odd ways such as Ötzi and La Brana man. Wouldn´t the contexts in which these bodies have been discovered be like a modern person dying today as a wanderer or on the fringes of the local society being discovered in the future?

People could build in the time of La Brana 1's death. Why was he holed up in a cave up a mountain? Does this imply that he was representative of those who lived in settlements or that he was on the fringe of the local society? Considering fairly complex settlements existed back then such as in Turkey, when you find someone dead in a cave, sure it preserves them better, but does it represent society back then?

My main curiosity about this is that, considering this article leads us to assume that the process of modern whiteness evolved in only a few thousand years, why do they think it couldn't have happened multiple times from whenever a culture entered the environment that allowed whiteness to evolve? If we are expected to believe anatomically modern humans were in Europe for 40,000 years, why does the discovery of one readable DNA trace get used to prove anything about the people who had been there before and after?

There certainly must be a missing stimulus that causes whiteness that we have not discovered. I am just sceptical about the use of one 7000 year old skeleton as proof of anything other than himself. It´s just clutching at straws based upon the small amount of evidence discovered. There was a stupid report in the paper that blondes are dying out which probably seemed true to the researcher. This was based upon blondness not being very resilient. Then I went to Scandinavia and saw that young children who had one African parent and a Swedish one would have darker skin and African faces but golden afro hair on multiple occasions. In the same way when I met Swedish families who had a middle eastern/persian parent and a white parent, the children came out pale with bright red hair and dark brown eyes. It leads me to believe the more we learn the more confusing things get, so trying to make a rule is unwise.

On the subject of gingers, the Romans were in awe of how largely red headed the people of Caledonia were. Oddly, every Italian girl I have met in England has had a thing for freckles and ginger hair. It goes to show that what is rare is often found beautiful and exotic away from it´s origin. With that, a lot of Jewish people are and were historically red haired which may have originated in a similar way to my middle eastern friends red haired children. Middle eastern plus lighter skinned admixture perhaps makes red hair, Shakespeare often portrayed Jewish characters with red wigs. The proudest man I ever met was a Pakistani man with a red moustache, he explained to me it made him incredibly popular back home. What is a disadvantage in some cultures is something to be proud of for others.

More ancient dna is always better. However, for accuracy's sake, this depiction of WHGs is NOT based solely on the, I believe, two La Brana samples from Iberia. It is also based on the Loschbour sample (which carried the perhaps older in Europe y dna "C"), and the KO1 sample in the area of present day Hungary.

The EHG and some of the SHG appear to have been different.

At any rate, this has been discussed in numerous threads. Just use the search engine to find them.

I would be very wary of drawing broad conclusions from the testimony of a few people. All of my father's sisters (northern Italians) were red-haired (although not orange haired, thank goodness) and freckled, and they loathed their freckles and spent hours putting buttermilk on them to fade them and trying to hide from the sun because sun exposure made them pop out. Their red hair was also said to be a detriment in the "marriage market" as it was said to denote a "bad temper" and willfulness. I don't think the red hair had anything to do with it, but they certainly possessed those traits, as they would have been the first to attest. :)

I would be very wary of drawing broad conclusions from the testimony of a few people. All of my father's sisters (northern Italians) were red-haired (although not orange haired, thank goodness) and freckled, and they loathed their freckles and spent hours putting buttermilk on them to fade them and trying to hide from the sun because sun exposure made them pop out. Their red hair was also said to be a detriment in the "marriage market" as it was said to denote a "bad temper" and willfulness. I don't think the red hair had anything to do with it, but they certainly possessed those traits, as they would have been the first to attest. :)

My friend Stefania told me there was one ginger in Bologna and all the women wanted a piece of him. I am dark blonde but some of my beard is red, where does this leave me on the marriage market in Italy? I had been under the impression that I could use my freckles as a status symbol, and now I'm going to have to get buttermilk before my trip?

I was teaching English in Hungary recently and the students were nearly sick when I told them that people in England, Scotland and Wales had really bright red hair. Then I said it was like Ed Sheeran and they didn't know what to do. The music had made them overlook his hair. It turned out Ed was locked into the friend zone for all but one of the Hungarian ladies. It seems ginger is a love or hate thing. I love ginger girls but the boys... got to shave my beard.

As far as the middle eastern ginger kids go, they were my exes cousins and they are the most ginger people in the world. I'm not going to post their pictures, but if you saw them the last place you'd think their father was from would be Iran.

Which other studies besides Candille et al. bothered to actually check if the skin pigmentation "predictions" based on a few SNPs for a selected number of sampled populations matched actual observed values by means of skin reflectance?

Are the likes of Borghezio or Bossi only "twenty something" years old? "Twenty-something" nutjobs are certainly not the only ones making up the ranks of northern Italian separatists.

You have issues my friend........every time someone says something about Spain, you deflect Spanish problems by saying something about Italians.

The mega "nutjobs" is the castilian government which does not recognise the catalans and basques and does not grant them their freedom from Spain when these people clearly DO NOT WANT TO BE A PART OF SPAIN. .........conclusion, they are racists against these people.

You have issues my friend........every time someone says something about Spain, you deflect Spanish problems by saying something about Italians.

The mega "nutjobs" is the castilian government which does not recognise the catalans and basques and does not grant them their freedom from Spain when these people clearly DO NOT WANT TO BE A PART OF SPAIN. .........conclusion, they are racists against these people.

No, some of the Italians around here are the ones who have issues and keep bringing up "Iberians" whenever someone says something about Italians that they don't like. Get things straight, friend.

By the same token, what you said about "nutjobs" actually fits the Roman government which does not want to grant northern Italian separatists, WHO DO NOT WANT TO BE PART OF ITALY, their freedom. Conclusion, they are racists against those people.

The last guy to try and make his own country near Italy got his oil rig demolished. There is a general European trend going towards petty states within a federal system, it is rather interesting but we're becoming as equally homogeneous in Europe as we are "bespoke". I wonder what passport La Brana man would have gone for.

The last guy to try and make his own country near Italy got his oil rig demolished. There is a general European trend going towards petty states within a federal system, it is rather interesting but we're becoming as equally homogeneous in Europe as we are "bespoke". I wonder what passport La Brana man would have gone for.
He would probably go North to last hunting/herding communities in Finland and Northern Russia, to feel at home.

The reflectance-method used by Candille, Jablonski and Rindermann are highly corruptible by tanning levels (as noted by Candille); The more tanned the darker and since none of the people tested are from any study groups (i.e. have the same levels/conditions of testing) you get the results that the Portuguese are lighter than the Polish or that the Spanish are lighter than some British when in fact they are just less tanned; On the other hand the SNPs (8-plex etc.) are highly reliable because they are not corruptible by any outside factors and have an accuracy of 99% (skin-color); Best example is Candille and her SNP results for the actual basal skin-tone (no tanning) Polish 98% (lightest) and Portuguese 88% (darkest);

Coud someone post a link to the paper?

This thread has been viewed 92473 times.

Back