Z59+/Z60- is a lonely place at the I1 haplogroup tree

We're Z59+, Z60- and CTS8647-

my ftdna haplogroup is fgc24357 , my paternal family can be traced back to the coast of holland up to 1475 which could be a settlement of vikings (600 years earlier) but it can also be other germanic tribes
does anybody knows more about z382 and its subclades or where to find information about it

Hello FGC24357 cousin. That makes 3 of us now on this forum. According to YFULL this subclade has a TMRCA of 1950 years so it probably originated in Scandinavia. It could have arrived in Sardinia, Holland, Belgium, Germany, and the UK multiple ways from its Scandinavian origin.

It might be impossible to ever truly associate a subclade with a particular ethnicity or occupation like Saxon or Viking because of all the cross migrations over the Millennia. Hopefully, as more people get tested and more recent subclades get discovered we might be able to narrow down the region or country.

Hi Arend, welcome from me too! (the other FGC 24357* on the forum)

Please consider submitting your results to Y Full.

Cheers, Ade.

hello adrian what would it add to submit the data to Y full and how is their policy with respect to privacy
arend

hello adrian what would it add to submit the data to Y full and how is their policy with respect to privacy
arend
First, did you do “Big Y” with FTDNA? I think YFULL only accepts comprehensive raw data like with “Big Y” and other thorough Y testing companies. Unfortunately, I never did “Big Y” so I am unable to do YFULL. I found out I was FGC24357 through individual SNP tests. If I were eligible I would do YFULL. I believe it only costs around $50 so it’s a reasonable fee. Not sure what their privacy rules are but they are probably similar to other dna testing companies.

I’m first generation United States so my country of origin would not be too helpful on yfull. However, my father is Belgian and it would be cool to add a Belgian flag to FGC24357 in addition to the current origins of England, Sweden, and Italy.

Last edited:
Hello,
I just joined the forum, although I got my haplogroup results (I-Z59/V8) two years ago. My family lived in the Carelian isthmus (area surrounded by Lake Saimaa of Finland and Lake Ladoga and St.Petersburg of Russia) for at least 300 years until the Second World War. Originally the area belonged to Sweden, then for about 200 years to Russian Empire/Grand Dutchy of Finland and finally to Finland until the end of the WW2, when the population was evacuated to other parts of Finland and the area was ceded to Soviet Union.
It's interesting to notice the geographically wide distribution of I-Z59.

all of a sudden ftdna comes in with bigY 500: elucidating 561 str values
does anybody know what to do with this?

all of a sudden ftdna comes in with bigY 500: elucidating 561 str values
does anybody know what to do with this?

Not really! Still trying to differentiate the advantages of str to snp. Until the price is right I’ll be abstaining.

I don't think they even have a tool allowing for matching over 111 STRs.

STR is great for confirming or discovering paternal lines.

I am Z59 - Z382 which has been analyzed down to Y18238 which originated about 2000 years ago. My paternal ancestry has been traced to France in late 1600s , they were Huguenots who escaped to Cornwall, England. I therefore suspect that my ancient ancestors were of West Germanic Frankish tribes who lived near the Rhine.

I am Z59 - Z382 which has been analyzed down to Y18238 which originated about 2000 years ago. My paternal ancestry has been traced to France in late 1600s , they were Huguenots who escaped to Cornwall, England. I therefore suspect that my ancient ancestors were of West Germanic Frankish tribes who lived near the Rhine.

I am downstream of Z382 myself which most likely originated in Sweden. My story is kind of the opposite of yours. Looks like my paternal ancestors went from Sweden to the British Isles and then to Belgium during the religious wars of the 17th century.

Some Z382 subclades could have been dispersed westward during the Migration Period and Vendel Period. However, modern distributions reflect a lot of possible Viking Age dispersals as well. You should join the Z382 project at Ftdna.

Hi everyone, I'm new. Just got my tests and it's I1a-Z59 which is quite surprising because I'm from Croatia and I was born in Bosnia.
This looks like the place to share this :)

I'm thinking either Goths which passed through this area, also Osthrogoths ruled in Balkans (Istria, Dalmatia etc...) or Saxon miners which came to Bosnia in 13th and 14th century.

I'm Z59, -Z63, -Z138, -Y2592, -Z17954, from London. Nevgen predicts likely S26361. Big Y or Nebula 30x soon.

This thread has been viewed 29550 times.

Back