Ancient Greek Phonology...If anyone is familiar your help would be great.

A. Tamar Chabadi

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Father's side: Jewish, Kurdish, Syrian----Mother's side: German/ Irish and Scottish
PIE: *T + T, *"TT" (two dental stops) has an "s" between them "TsT" giving "st" in Greek. If the ancient Greeks encountered a language and a word within that language where a set of coronal stops like "tt" was present and the Greeks interpreted the sound of this set of coronal stops as dental stops (Ancient Greek only had dental stops), would the set of coronal stops surface as "st" in the Ancient Greek transliteration of that word?

Clearly no one is willing or can help so if someone can , please delete this question. It would be much appreciated.

I cannot find a delete the post link anywhere. No use in having a question here that no one can answer or help me with. I think I have pieced together the correct answer anyway. Took some super digging, but I think I found the answer.

There are lots of websites about linguistics that you could find with a simple internet search. Here's one example.

www.linguistics.ubc.ca/

Thank you, Aberdeen...I was already well-aware of the linguistic sites. I had been to many and none told me what I wanted to know directly which is why I asked here. I pieced together what I wanted to know. It took some deep Google searching, but I managed to piece it together. I am well aware of Greek phonological rules, just needed some help with that particular rule. Thanks anyway.

This thread has been viewed 6217 times.

Back