Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: French cuisine

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    04-03-14
    Posts
    1
    Points
    46
    Level
    1
    Points: 46, Level: 1
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: France



    French cuisine



    Hi everyone,

    I’ve been hearing a lot of good remarks about French cuisine on television and discussions but didn't have the opportunity to enjoy delicious and famous French dishes yet. I’m still in London but I’m expecting to visit the wonderful city of light, “Paris” next month, that’s why I’ve been looking for great ideas or opinions about French cuisine. What would you recommend me as best French dishes?

  2. #2
    His Royal Highness Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Coolboygcp's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-08-13
    Location
    Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde
    Posts
    156
    Points
    2,253
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,253, Level: 13
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek
    Country: USA - Florida



    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02 View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I’ve been hearing a lot of good remarks about French cuisine on television and discussions but didn't have the opportunity to enjoy delicious and famous French dishes yet. I’m still in London but I’m expecting to visit the wonderful city of light, “Paris” next month, that’s why I’ve been looking for great ideas or opinions about French cuisine. What would you recommend me as best French dishes?
    French food is incredibly good. I would say that they have some of, if not the best food in the world. Such as:

    Profiteroles: Chocolate-covered cream puffs, delicious
    Cream puffs: Puff pastry puffs filled with cream
    Brie: A delicious, creamy cheese. I personally recommend a brand called Fromage D'Affinois, I would say that is the best one.
    Bouillabaisse: A delicious soup with many different kinds of seafood, very delicious.
    Baguette: A long, crusty loaf of bread, good with Brie, Camembert, Bouillabaisse, and more.
    Croissant: A flaky, crescent-shaped roll with many layers very buttery and delicious
    Pain au chocolat: Basically a croissant, with chunks of chocolate.
    Crêpes: Delicious, thin, pancake-like things that can be filled with sweet or savoury fillings, such as Nutella, jam, and more. They are usually rolled.
    Omelet: A delicious egg dish often made with cheese, and sometimes meat or herbs.
    Quiche: A delicious savoury pie, made with eggs and cheese and meat and/or vegetables.
    Pain de Campagne: A delicious, huge, crusty loaf of bread.
    Fromagé Frais: Kind of between yogurt and cottage cheese, I have heard it is very food.
    Napoleon: A delicious dessert with layers of puff pastry of phyllo dough, with pastry cream in-between them. It often has chocolate on top.

    And much, more more!

  3. #3
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,329
    Points
    110,111
    Level
    100
    Points: 110,111, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    I like french cuisine too, almost everything....liver in cranberry sauce.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Aberdeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-11-13
    Posts
    1,839
    Points
    52,092
    Level
    70
    Points: 52,092, Level: 70
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

    Ethnic group
    Scottish, English and German
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02 View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I’ve been hearing a lot of good remarks about French cuisine on television and discussions but didn't have the opportunity to enjoy delicious and famous French dishes yet. I’m still in London but I’m expecting to visit the wonderful city of light, “Paris” next month, that’s why I’ve been looking for great ideas or opinions about French cuisine. What would you recommend me as best French dishes?
    I didn't see this post before, and you will have already been to Paris and gone by now. But if you go back, I would say the best way to appreciate French cuisine is to go to a three or four star restaurant and see what's on their menu that day. I would say that a four star restaurant is generally a better choice than a five star restaurant because a five star restaurant will probably be overpriced, and the staff may start coasting a bit once they have that coveted five star status.

  5. #5
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,689
    Points
    681,298
    Level
    100
    Points: 681,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeen View Post
    I didn't see this post before, and you will have already been to Paris and gone by now. But if you go back, I would say the best way to appreciate French cuisine is to go to a three or four star restaurant and see what's on their menu that day. I would say that a four star restaurant is generally a better choice than a five star restaurant because a five star restaurant will probably be overpriced, and the staff may start coasting a bit once they have that coveted five star status.
    French restaurants have maximum three stars. French hotels have maximum four stars. There is no such thing as a five-star hotel or restaurant in France.

    The Michelin Red Guide attributes the stars to restaurants, not the state. These can potentially change every year, although restaurants rarely lose stars. One French chef committed suicide after his three-star restaurant lost one Michelin star.

    Here is my guide to starred restaurants in Paris.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  6. #6
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,766
    Points
    243,377
    Level
    100
    Points: 243,377, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdeen View Post
    I didn't see this post before, and you will have already been to Paris and gone by now. But if you go back, I would say the best way to appreciate French cuisine is to go to a three or four star restaurant and see what's on their menu that day. I would say that a four star restaurant is generally a better choice than a five star restaurant because a five star restaurant will probably be overpriced, and the staff may start coasting a bit once they have that coveted five star status.
    A stuffy, self-important atmosphere is guaranteed to put me off my food no matter it's technical excellence. Then, I'm not a nouvelle or fusion type person at all, so I don't have to feel badly about not being able to go to some Michelin three star restaurants. That's not to say that eating at some of these world famous restaurants can't be a transporting experience for people who love good food. I've treasured each and every such experience.

    However, most of the time, I'm perfectly happy with good bistro food, and I like ones that have a particular regional flavor as well.

    Some of my favorites to add to Coolboy's list:
    Cassoulet-slow cooked beans and meats, usually including confit de canard and sausage
    Boeuf Bourguignon-the way all beef stew should be made
    Confit de canard

    (Yes, I'm a carnivore )

    Also:
    Brandade-cod pureed and seasoned, mixed with milk and potatoes and baked in a casserole
    Moules frites-Fried mussels with fried potatoes

    My only complaint about French restaurants of any kind is that there's usually a surfeit of organ meat dishes for my liking, but again, that's just personal taste.

    As for French cheeses, oh goodness, one could rhapsodize for an hour: Reblochon, Gruyere, Chabichou, Roquefort...unfortunately, cheeses no longer love me the way that I will always love them! Is there anything sadder than unrequited love?

    Sort of what happened to Meg Ryan in French Kiss, both with the man and with the cheese...


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Aberdeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-11-13
    Posts
    1,839
    Points
    52,092
    Level
    70
    Points: 52,092, Level: 70
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

    Ethnic group
    Scottish, English and German
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    French restaurants have maximum three stars. French hotels have maximum four stars. There is no such thing as a five-star hotel or restaurant in France.

    The Michelin Red Guide attributes the stars to restaurants, not the state. These can potentially change every year, although restaurants rarely lose stars. One French chef committed suicide after his three-star restaurant lost one Michelin star.

    Here is my guide to starred restaurants in Paris.
    I guess my memory failed me. Michelin does indeed use a three star system for restaurants, whereas in North America a five star system is used. But I stand by the gist of my comment - one often has a better dining experience at a somewhat lower rated restaurant that's still struggling to become one of the top rated restaurants.

    I don't know if Paul Bocus's restaurant is still there, but my experience was that the food was very good, it was very expensive and one was very aware of being in what one might call a restaurant for tourists. Of course that's not a Parisian restaurant, but it was at one time perhaps the most famous restaurant in France. However, I suspected that the locals probably knew of better restaurants that were much less costly.
    Last edited by Aberdeen; 10-06-14 at 20:11.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Aberdeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-11-13
    Posts
    1,839
    Points
    52,092
    Level
    70
    Points: 52,092, Level: 70
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H4

    Ethnic group
    Scottish, English and German
    Country: Canada-Ontario



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    A stuffy, self-important atmosphere is guaranteed to put me off my food no matter it's technical excellence. Then, I'm not a nouvelle or fusion type person at all, so I don't have to feel badly about not being able to go to some Michelin three star restaurants. That's not to say that eating at some of these world famous restaurants can't be a transporting experience for people who love good food. I've treasured each and every such experience.

    However, most of the time, I'm perfectly happy with good bistro food, and I like ones that have a particular regional flavor as well.

    Some of my favorites to add to Coolboy's list:
    Cassoulet-slow cooked beans and meats, usually including confit de canard and sausage
    Boeuf Bourguignon-the way all beef stew should be made
    Confit de canard

    (Yes, I'm a carnivore )

    Also:
    Brandade-cod pureed and seasoned, mixed with milk and potatoes and baked in a casserole
    Moules frites-Fried mussels with fried potatoes

    My only complaint about French restaurants of any kind is that there's usually a surfeit of organ meat dishes for my liking, but again, that's just personal taste.

    As for French cheeses, oh goodness, one could rhapsodize for an hour: Reblochon, Gruyere, Chabichou, Roquefort...unfortunately, cheeses no longer love me the way that I will always love them! Is there anything sadder than unrequited love?

    Sort of what happened to Meg Ryan in French Kiss, both with the man and with the cheese...
    There are few things better than a good beef bourguignon. But it's true that over time some foods become no longer as welcoming as they once were. Peppers now hate me. However, if I couldn't eat cheese anymore, I would consider that to be a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions.

  9. #9
    His Royal Highness Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Coolboygcp's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-08-13
    Location
    Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde
    Posts
    156
    Points
    2,253
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,253, Level: 13
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek
    Country: USA - Florida



    Petit Suissé- A soft cheese, similar to cream cheese or Greek yogurt. Often flavoured with different fruits or chocolate.
    Boudin- I have never had it, but it's a blood sausage. If you like that kind of stuff, you may like that.
    Speculoos- Delicious cookies made with caramelised sugar, cinnamon and different spices. It is also available in spread form. (Biscoff Spread.) The spread is amazing, so delicious.
    Eclairs- Like a profiterole, but it is longer and in a torpedo-shape. Puff pastry filled with pastry cream with chocolate on top.
    Chocolate- France has some great chocolate.
    Yogurt- France has a vast selection of different yogurts. From organic yogurt, to chocolate yogurt, to strawberry yogurt, to even wheat-flavoured yogurt. (Yes, wheat flavour,)
    Pralines- Candied hazelnuts. In the US, they are usually made from pecans. In France they are made from hazelnuts.
    Hazelnuts- One of, if not the best nuts. They are so delicious, and France has many foods where Hazelnuts lend their flavour.

    France also has some great hypermarkets like Carrefour, and Auchan. France also has a lot of organic food, and many organic food stores. In addition, GMOs are banned in France.

  10. #10
    His Royal Highness Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Coolboygcp's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-08-13
    Location
    Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde
    Posts
    156
    Points
    2,253
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,253, Level: 13
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek
    Country: USA - Florida



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    A stuffy, self-important atmosphere is guaranteed to put me off my food no matter it's technical excellence. Then, I'm not a nouvelle or fusion type person at all, so I don't have to feel badly about not being able to go to some Michelin three star restaurants. That's not to say that eating at some of these world famous restaurants can't be a transporting experience for people who love good food. I've treasured each and every such experience.

    However, most of the time, I'm perfectly happy with good bistro food, and I like ones that have a particular regional flavor as well.

    Some of my favorites to add to Coolboy's list:
    Cassoulet-slow cooked beans and meats, usually including confit de canard and sausage
    Boeuf Bourguignon-the way all beef stew should be made
    Confit de canard

    (Yes, I'm a carnivore )

    Also:
    Brandade-cod pureed and seasoned, mixed with milk and potatoes and baked in a casserole
    Moules frites-Fried mussels with fried potatoes

    My only complaint about French restaurants of any kind is that there's usually a surfeit of organ meat dishes for my liking, but again, that's just personal taste.

    As for French cheeses, oh goodness, one could rhapsodize for an hour: Reblochon, Gruyere, Chabichou, Roquefort...unfortunately, cheeses no longer love me the way that I will always love them! Is there anything sadder than unrequited love?

    Sort of what happened to Meg Ryan in French Kiss, both with the man and with the cheese...
    France has so many great cheeses. They also have so many greats breads, pastries, and other dairy products. I wouldn't eat any duck foods, as I don't eat duck. But Bouef Bourguignon sounds good. Moules frites sounds good too. Frites are delicious!

    I never saw that movie, but what happened to Meg Ryan anyway? She was so big in the '90's, and she hasn't been in a movie for around ten years.

  11. #11
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,766
    Points
    243,377
    Level
    100
    Points: 243,377, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboygcp View Post
    France has so many great cheeses. They also have so many greats breads, pastries, and other dairy products. I wouldn't eat any duck foods, as I don't eat duck. But Bouef Bourguignon sounds good. Moules frites sounds good too. Frites are delicious!

    I never saw that movie, but what happened to Meg Ryan anyway? She was so big in the '90's, and she hasn't been in a movie for around ten years.

    I think it would be classified as a "chick flick" here, but I enjoyed it, even with Kevin Kline's terrible put on French accent; I think they're both good at comedy.,

    As for Meg Ryan, I'm afraid she got too old to play the slightly ditsy American romantic comedy roles that were her specialty, and there aren't very many roles in American cinema for older women, unless they're playing a mother or grandmother part. C'est la vie.

  12. #12
    His Royal Highness Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Coolboygcp's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-08-13
    Location
    Floridé, Le Monde, Florida, The Earth, Florida, Die Erde
    Posts
    156
    Points
    2,253
    Level
    13
    Points: 2,253, Level: 13
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English, Northern Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Danish, Dutch, French, Irish, Greek
    Country: USA - Florida



    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I think it would be classified as a "chick flick" here, but I enjoyed it, even with Kevin Kline's terrible put on French accent; I think they're both good at comedy.,

    As for Meg Ryan, I'm afraid she got too old to play the slightly ditsy American romantic comedy roles that were her specialty, and there aren't very many roles in American cinema for older women, unless they're playing a mother or grandmother part. C'est la vie.
    There are some good chick flicks that I've seen, Love Actually, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (I'm part Greek, I just had to see it.), Bridget Jones movies, Hugh Grant movies, Sleepless In Seattle, You've Got Mail, etc.

    I saw Meg Ryan's last film once. It was from 2003, and it was an action movie. It really sucked. I was disappointed, as she was a good actress in other films, but action films were a different genré than her usual films.

    Did you hear that they are going to make a sequel to My Big Fat Greek Wedding?

  13. #13
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,766
    Points
    243,377
    Level
    100
    Points: 243,377, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboygcp View Post
    There are some good chick flicks that I've seen, Love Actually, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (I'm part Greek, I just had to see it.), Bridget Jones movies, Hugh Grant movies, Sleepless In Seattle, You've Got Mail, etc.

    I saw Meg Ryan's last film once. It was from 2003, and it was an action movie. It really sucked. I was disappointed, as she was a good actress in other films, but action films were a different genré than her usual films.

    Did you hear that they are going to make a sequel to My Big Fat Greek Wedding?
    I haven't heard that, but I'll certainly go see it if they do...I loved that movie...those characters. "WHAT?! He doesn't eat meat?...It's o.k., I'll make lamb!"
    Just for you...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAvxebd7UTM

    If you're part Greek, you should make a thread about Greek food in general or the regional Greek cooking with which you're familiar, if they're very different. Or, you could add to the thread I started on regional European cooking.

    There's quite a large Greek-American community near me, from the Peloponnese mostly, but some Cypriots too. (I thought it wiser not to tell them that anthrofora types don't think they're Greek!) So, we have some quite good Greek restaurants. The women still do a lot of home cooking too. One neighbor has a summer party where all the aunts come over to help and she does a Greek extravaganza, with everything home made. She even spit roasts the lamb...very authentic. There are lots of things I really like.

  14. #14
    Curious Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    11-08-12
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    2,262
    Points
    15,835
    Level
    38
    Points: 15,835, Level: 38
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 11.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

    Ethnic group
    Chinese
    Country: Canada-British Columbia



    The actress Nia Vardalos is from Winnipeg. John Corbett didn't want to go to the small screen with her (talking TV series). But his career didn't advance either. The saying goes "strike when hot" may have applied. Wonder if he is related to Jim Corbett that wrote the book about the "Man-eaters from Kumaon" in India. There is another famous Jim Corbett in boxing. Errol Flynn played the boxer.

  15. #15
    Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

    Join Date
    23-04-19
    Posts
    11
    Points
    79
    Level
    1
    Points: 79, Level: 1
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 4.0%


    Country: USA - Vermont



    Ratatouille, my favorite :)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •