The impact of Asian "barbarism" in the European continent: thoughts

Has Asian civilization benefited Europe?

• Total voters
Yes, what I mean as Asia, is the non Greco-Roman world.

Barbarolexis.

Barbarians it is just the "others", they sound when they talking like -(v)ar, (v)ar,(v)ar,...(?)
,for the greeks - "Βάρβαρος" ,{Vάrvaros} is every other non speaking Greek; Hellenics; either is just an other nation; people; kingdom;
Everyone which, spoke an uknown and weird sounded language, it was consider as Barbarian and thats all.
First HOMER at Iliad, uses the word , -Bαρβαρόφωνος ,{varvarόfonοs} = Bάρβαρη φωνή ~ mean. foreign language. [Ομήρου Ιλιάδα - Β 867].
to describe the "Κάρες"- trojan allies which they originated at Anatolia; south minor Asia;
So at the first days, it wasn't so negative meaning, but the thinks change after the persian rule on Minor Asia and the Greek-Persian wars,
the word from now and on will considerered also as rude, uncivilised, savage,... etc. etc, but also for the first time Plato and Aristotle give the main difference beetween Hellenes and Barbarians. It is just the will of the free people against the will of tyrrants and their humble servants...

The Romans used the word to derify the Greeks(Hellenes) and theirselves from all the other, non latin or non greek speaking people as Barbarians .( Latin -barbarus).
Apostotle Paul; Aπόστολος Παύλος, use the word as:
Έλλήσι τε και βαρβάροις, σοφοίς και ανοήτεις... (ρωμ. 1,14)
~ Hellens(greeks) and Barbarians, wisepeoples and fools(;)... (the translate it is not the official, Holy spirit im not heretic!) mean.~ all the world;

I also want to share the leema Barbarolexis. (latin) and Bαρβαρισμός.(greek) Both words descript, Grammar and literature issues like those which they apply on this post while you reading it... (My English is awful but i give a try, i make mistakes using foreign words-(barbarolexis) and by mistake give an other mean or an other use of the word, so this is for the scholars -( Βαρβαρισμός, Barbarisme.)

The character of cruel, wild, rough, looter, destroyer, blasphemer... and all this nice things we appreciate and share all the europeans who commoned together, we find at the word -Vandale; Wandahl; Vandalisme; (Germ.origin invaders) and recently at the brand new Taliban's ( Μuslim extremmists).

I conclude, there is no Asian, African, whatever barbarism. It is just fear or wonder for the unknown opposite people.

If I understand well enough, the impact of all these different cultures as you asking makes Europe the most interesting continent and me offtopic trying to explain greeks to europindians!

Welcome to Eupedia, Panax. A small note there though, the letter Beta was actually pronounced /b/ in ancient Greek, at least to the start of the Hellenistic period (probably later). It was only by the Middle Ages (Byzantine Greek) that this decisively changed to /v/. So, it would have indeed been "Barbaroi", not "Varvaroi" in ancient Greek.

Welcome to Eupedia, Panax. A small note there though, the letter Beta was actually pronounced /b/ in ancient Greek, at least to the start of the Hellenistic period (probably later). It was only by the Middle Ages (Byzantine Greek) that this decisively changed to /v/. So, it would have indeed been "Barbaroi", not "Varvaroi" in ancient Greek.

I think Taranis is right, if we consider how Aristophanes describes the way that a sheep bleats. "ΒΕ-ΒΕ" is more likely to sound like ΒΕ-ΒΕ, rather than VE-VE ...

Thank you Taranis, you definetely right. I enjoy your posts and very happy to get know you!
Echetlaus, my grands father sheeps bleet like -vee, vee! Probably they cannot hide their Konatantinopolitan/ Byzantine origin!
If you and the "others" ( Barbarians; ha ha ha, just a joke!) dont mind i would like to share a moment of this impact as we like to say... with fully Platonic way without Aristotelic terms and definitions etc, etc.

The poet is Konstantinos Kavafis and the poem is "Waiting for the Barbarians".
(C.P. Cavafy, Collected Poems. Translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard. Edited by George Savidis. Revised Edition. Princeton University Press, 1992)

Οοοps! Iwould like to post it but... some other time.
  1. "An error has occurred ΠΑΝΑΞ! You must have 10 posts in order to post links. Your current post count is 2."

Im'not sure if really answer this thread of Echetleaus but...
Hope to like it Eurobarbarians!

Thank you Taranis, you definetely right. I enjoy your posts and very happy to get know you!
Echetlaus, my grands father sheeps bleet like -vee, vee! Probably they cannot hide their Konatantinopolitan/ Byzantine origin!
If you and the "others" ( Barbarians; ha ha ha, just a joke!) dont mind i would like to share a moment of this impact as we like to say... with fully Platonic way without Aristotelic terms and definitions etc, etc.

The poet is Konstantinos Kavafis and the poem is "Waiting for the Barbarians".
(C.P. Cavafy, Collected Poems. Translated by Edmund Keeley and Philip Sherrard. Edited by George Savidis. Revised Edition. Princeton University Press, 1992)

Οοοps! Iwould like to post it but... some other time.
  1. "An error has occurred ΠΑΝΑΞ! You must have 10 posts in order to post links. Your current post count is 2."

Im'not sure if really answer this thread of Echetleaus but...
Hope to like it Eurobarbarians!

I know that poem bro :) I can post that for you ...

K. P. Kavafy (Κωνσταντίνος Π. Καβάφης)

Waiting for the Barbarians

What are we waiting for, assembled in the forum?

The barbarians are due here today.

Why isn’t anything happening in the senate?
Why do the senators sit there without legislating?

Because the barbarians are coming today.
What laws can the senators make now?
Once the barbarians are here, they’ll do the legislating.

Why did our emperor get up so early,
and why is he sitting at the city’s main gate
on his throne, in state, wearing the crown?

Because the barbarians are coming today
and the emperor is waiting to receive their leader.
He has even prepared a scroll to give him,
replete with titles, with imposing names.

Why have our two consuls and praetors come out today
wearing their embroidered, their scarlet togas?
Why have they put on bracelets with so many amethysts,
and rings sparkling with magnificent emeralds?
Why are they carrying elegant canes
beautifully worked in silver and gold?

and things like that dazzle the barbarians.

Why don’t our distinguished orators come forward as usual
to make their speeches, say what they have to say?

and they’re bored by rhetoric and public speaking.

Why this sudden restlessness, this confusion?
(How serious people’s faces have become.)
Why are the streets and squares emptying so rapidly,
everyone going home so lost in thought?

Because night has fallen and the barbarians have not come.
And some who have just returned from the border say
there are no barbarians any longer.

And now, what’s going to happen to us without barbarians?
They were, those people, a kind of solution.

Translated by : Edmund Keeley/Philip Sherrard

This thread has been viewed 19159 times.

Back