Why some people believe that Alexander the Great was not Greek when ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was Greek, and he did not look Irish. The artwork at the top of this page hints at what he looked like:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ancient.eu/amp/1-265/

I think that in some of the depictions Alexander looks like the “Boss” :)

(maybe A was from NJ) lol

alexander-the-great-wc-9180468-1-402.jpg

GettyImages-85853613-1494x1000.jpg

He was Greek, and he did not look Irish. The artwork at the top of this page hints at what he looked like:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ancient.eu/amp/1-265/
isnt that a depiction made some time later.

look at it like this. the root of tall,long, big in greek is makednos, correct. well the root of that is the macedonians themselves but when you have a closer look at the etymology it more lines up with with the scottish word for son, which is "mac" and the indo-european word for river. what do we have the MACDONS.

sons of the river.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I think that in some of the depictions Alexander looks like the “Boss” :)

(maybe A was from NJ) lol

alexander-the-great-wc-9180468-1-402.jpg

GettyImages-85853613-1494x1000.jpg
nah bro in that depiction he looks middle eastern. ehhhh yeh i see some resemblance.

did the persians make this ?

Last edited:
nah bro in that depiction he looks middle eastern. ehhhh yeh i see some resemblance.

did the persians make this ?

I have no idea who made it, but He doesn't look anything like the real Jesus.

ive given this a bit of thought. the macedonians were not greek, it doesnt make sense. why were they the tall ones, they were obviously different from greeks.

if they arent a remant from the indo european invasions or closely related to the illyrians then its logical to conclude they were serbs, without the R1A but R1B. perhaps that was illyrian.

consider it like this. romanians, albanians and bulgarians are some of the shortest europeans, so we can count them out. ok we could include albanians, but not the E haplogroup ones. E haplogroup equals shortass.

so we are left with either croatians or serbs.

cant believe people have been arguing who the macedonians were for so long without having a look at modern pops and their current heigh and how the greeks described macedonian traits.

- He spoke Greek
- He worshiped the same Gods as the rest of the Greeks
- His name is Greek
- His father's name is Greek (Philip)
- His mother's name is Greek (Olympias, she comes from Epirus)
- His cousin was another great military genius, Pyrrhus of Epirus
- His favourite heroes were the Argives(= Greeks) of the Trojan War, and especially Achilles
- His teacher was Aristotle (no comments for that)

And above all, why some people that are of another origin, still insist that [Slavs] are Macedonians, when it is clear by the Byzantine chronicles that these people came to the Greek peninsula a thousand years later?

I am not sure if Alexander is a Greek name, it was used earlier by the Trojan Prince Paris, who was also called Aleksander.....as far as I recall he was the only Alexander in the Iliad. This reason alone raises a lot of doubt on the Macedonian And Greek connection.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_(mythology)

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Alexander was a Greek from Macedon.

Everybody knows that.

No need to Consult the Mystic Oracle of Google for a link.

Alexander would have certainly agreed with everything I said.

Last edited:
I am not sure if Alexander is a Greek name, it was used earlier by the Trojan Prince Paris, who was also called Aleksander.....as far as I recall he was the only Alexander in the Iliad. This reason alone raises a lot of doubt on the Macedonian And Greek connection.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_(mythology)

Alexander (Αλέξανδρος) as a name has an easily discernible etymology in both ancient and modern Greek language. Αλέξ from the verb alekso/αλέξω=protect και ανδρός from the genitive noun andros/ανδρός="of man". So Alexander is the synthesis of the words 'protector of man'.

What etymologies in other languages are there?

Alexander (Αλέξανδρος) as a name has an easily discernible etymology in both ancient and modern Greek language. Αλέξ from the verb alekso/αλέξω=protect και ανδρός from the genitive noun andros/ανδρός="of man". So Alexander is the synthesis of the words 'protector of man'.

What etymologies in other languages are there?

......so the Trojan were Greeks....your name explanation is more like the video below
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VL9whwwTK6I

This word connections are hard to buy for reasonable minds. Aleksander was a Trojan name.....and Iliad shows Aleksander was not a Greek name.

......so the Trojan were Greeks....your name explanation is more like the video below
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VL9whwwTK6I

This word connections are hard to buy for reasonable minds. Aleksander was a Trojan name.....and Iliad shows Aleksander was not a Greek name.

Your ad homs, in combination with your ***** video, not to mention your complete lack of referencing, speak volumes of your capacity for discourse.

Your ad homs, in combination with your ***** video, not to mention your complete lack of referencing, speak volumes of your capacity for discourse.

Here you are referring to yourself I guess. I mentioned reference.....I can put it for you in APA style, but this does not change the fact that Paris was called Aleksander and that is the first use of the name for a man. If you have an earlier use mention it, I will be glad to learn it.

Here you are referring to yourself I guess. I mentioned reference.....I can put it for you in APA style, but this does not change the fact that Paris was called Aleksander and that is the first use of the name for a man. If you have an earlier use mention it, I will be glad to learn it.

Alexander: First ever recorded usage in Mycenean Linear B (feminine anthroponym). Of course, you could have at least wikipedia'd it yourself, but you chose to ***** with your typical Balkan conspiracy narrative.

source:

Tablet MY V 659 (61). "The Linear B word a-re-ka-sa-da-ra". Palaeolexicon. Word study tool of ancient languages. "MY 659 V (61)". DĀMOS Database of Mycenaean at Oslo. University of Oslo. Raymoure, K.A. "a-re-ka-sa-da-ra-qe". Deaditerranean. Minoan Linear A & Mycenaean Linear B.

Alexander: First ever recorded usage in Mycenean Linear B (feminine anthroponym). Of course, you could have at least wikipedia'd it yourself, but, of course, you chose to ***** with your typical Balkan conspiracy narrative.

source:

Tablet MY V 659 (61). "The Linear B word a-re-ka-sa-da-ra". Palaeolexicon. Word study tool of ancient languages. "MY 659 V (61)". DĀMOS Database of Mycenaean at Oslo. University of Oslo. Raymoure, K.A. "a-re-ka-sa-da-ra-qe". Deaditerranean. Minoan Linear A & Mycenaean Linear B.

It just never ends, does it? I am beyond tired of it.

Alexander: First ever recorded usage in Mycenean Linear B (feminine anthroponym). Of course, you could have at least wikipedia'd it yourself, but you chose to ***** with your typical Balkan conspiracy narrative/nonsense.

source:

Please. The author of this scientific discovery is a greek, nickname Midas, Historum forum.

It just never ends, does it? I am beyond tired of it.

I don’t understand what is the problem here Angela, the exchange here is civil.......the Greek member is mentioning a female name to support that Aleksander was used before by Greeks in Linear B writing. I am genuinely curious to see that why Trojan were using this name for males before Greeks. And Arekasadaraqe means as well protector of men? Or something else in Greek language?

Why would you fixate on origins of a name to determine if he was Macedonian/Greek or not?

Names travel, like pots travel. It need mean nothing at all if by chance it's first found in parts of Anatolia. My maternal first cousin's half German Swiss son is named Patrick. Does that mean he has part Irish ancestry? No, it doesn't. I think it was a stupid choice, but it has nothing to do with ancestry at all. Likewise, her sister's son is named Archimedi because it's a family name in her husband's Venetian family. Is he Greek? No, he isn't. Meaningless.

What does it matter if it first appears in Mycenaean as a female name? The basic form was there. There are lots of names which have both a male and female version. Piero/Piera, Michele/Michela, Gino/Gina, Alessandro/Alessandra. Lots of writings were lost. Among those that survived, we find the female version. Why on earth wouldn't there be a male version? If it's there it's there, no matter who found it.

This is trivia, imo, and you're too smart and sensible to be going down this rabbit hole.

By all important measures, Alexander was a Macedonian Greek. Just like Julius Caesar was a Roman. We have too many writings from this period for there to be any doubt. End of story.

Why waste your time on this?

Why would you fixate on origins of a name to determine if he was Macedonian/Greek or not?

Names travel, like pots travel. It need mean nothing at all if by chance it's first found in parts of Anatolia. My maternal first cousin's half German Swiss son is named Patrick. Does that mean he has part Irish ancestry? No, it doesn't. I think it was a stupid choice, but it has nothing to do with ancestry at all. Likewise, her sister's son is named Archimedi because it's a family name in her husband's Venetian family. Is he Greek? No, he isn't. Meaningless.

What does it matter if it first appears in Mycenaean as a female name? The basic form was there. There are lots of names which have both a male and female version. Piero/Piera, Michele/Michela, Gino/Gina, Alessandro/Alessandra. Lots of writings were lost. Among those that survived, we find the female version. Why on earth wouldn't there be a male version? If it's there it's there, no matter who found it.

This is trivia, imo, and you're too smart and sensible to be going down this rabbit hole.

By all important measures, Alexander was a Macedonian Greek. Just like Julius Caesar was a Roman. We have too many writings from this period for there to be any doubt. End of story.

Why waste your time on this?

Why waste time, why ask question, why hypothese, why research, is human nature.

At the beginning of the thread was said Alexander was a Greek name, but this is not true, its earliest form is Trojan.
In addition I ask you is there any distinction between being hellenized example https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daorson
and being Greeks...
Do you also consider Romanians (probably latinized Dacian) italian? What about Corsicans that used to speak Italian, due you consider them French? Or people that have adopted French language?

As for Macedonians, how are you able to distinct if they are a hellenized tribe or a Greek tribe indeed, especially after Bronze Age collapse. Is there any DNA research to support your claim?
Thanks for your time hopefully not wasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 58782 times.

Back