Why some people believe that Alexander the Great was not Greek when ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the page of Wiki posted by this Greek member:

Even a biased source like Wiki admit that these suggest.
The Pella tablet prove only that the text was written in Greek. People can rise different theories, but are simply theories. Pella tablet can not prove the ethnicity of the Ancient Macedonians. You are using english language in this forum. Are you an English or an American, etc?
The official language of the European Union is the English language and every year the administration of this Union produce millions of documents written in English language. Is European Union a British Empire? And there is too much talking about the BREXIT in these days.

Yes but Alexander himself declared himself a Greek. I believe Achilles wasn’t Greek, Achilles would curse Greeks he would pray to Zeus to help the Trojans against Greeks. but Alexander the Great was Greek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
For goodness' sakes, for most of linguistics, the evidence can only "suggest" conclusions. NO ONE WAS AROUND TO HEAR THEM.

This is all just special pleading to find any technicality to "SUGGEST" Alexander wasn't Greek.

For goodness' sakes, for most of linguistics, the evidence can only "suggest" conclusions. NO ONE WAS AROUND TO HEAR THEM.

This is all just special pleading to find any technicality to "SUGGEST" Alexander wasn't Greek.

There is no evidence to say he wasn’t Greek, apart from rumours about his mum being half barbaric, and him having non Greeks in his army along with Greeks, but that’s not very uncommon in armies.

He was Greek, if any of the “Greek” heroes turn out not to be Greek it would probably most likely be Achilles and not Alexander the Great any smart Albanian who’s studied Alexander the Great knows he was Greek and not Illyrian, unless his mother really was half Illyrian, that still makes him a Greek with Illyrian ancestry, it doesn’t take away his Greek origins.

There is a lot of tendency among the Albanians and "Northern Macedonians" to diminish everything Greek and to claim Greek accomplishments as their own. For God's sake, St Jerome is claimed by at least 4 nationalities and he was a Roman.

There is a lot of tendency among the Albanians and "Northern Macedonians" to diminish everything Greek and to claim Greek accomplishments as their own. For God's sake, St Jerome is claimed by at least 4 nationalities and he was a Roman.

Albanians don’t claim to be Greek, or Macedonians rather Albanians claim Paeonians who were an Illyrian Tribe. We also claim there are theories Alexander’s mother was half barbaric but she was also Greek from her dads side. We also claim that Troy wasn’t between Greeks but also others such as the Pelasgians, Illyrians and Thracians, of course Illyrians sided with Trojans, and Trojans are said to have visited Apollonia, in illyria.

What's the genetic distance of Albanians to ancient samples from that area, i.e. from mytrueancestry.com

I'm at 10.28 to the "Illyrian/Dalmatian" sample, but there are northern Italians who are closer.

Ancient dna might indicate a more complicated story.

What's the genetic distance of Albanians to ancient samples from that area, i.e. from mytrueancestry.com

I'm at 10.28 to the "Illyrian/Dalmatian" sample, but there are northern Italians who are closer.

Ancient dna might indicate a more complicated story.
10.28 is pretty far away but on the other hand it's to an ancient sample.

Albanians don’t claim to be Greek, or Macedonians rather Albanians claim Paeonians who were an Illyrian Tribe. We also claim there are theories Alexander’s mother was half barbaric but she was also Greek from her dads side. We also claim that Troy wasn’t between Greeks but also others such as the Pelasgians, Illyrians and Thracians, of course Illyrians sided with Trojans, and Trojans are said to have visited Apollonia, in illyria.

I never heard trojans where aligned with ilyrians.....trojans and thracians yes, actually east of troas lands on the coast was thracian lands , north of trojans, where thracians, samothrace island as well as lesbos where ancient thracian lands

10.28 is pretty far away but on the other hand it's to an ancient sample.
I am a north italian and i am much closer

1. Gallo-Roman (590 AD) ..... 7.349 - SZ28 (Click for more info)
Top 99% match vs all users

2. Illyrian / Dalmatian (1200 BC) ..... 7.971 - I3313 (Click for more info)
Top 98% match vs all users

3. Central Roman (590 AD) ..... 9.665 - SZ36 (Click for more info)

4. Central Roman (670 AD) ..... 9.851 - CL36 (Click for more info)

5. Central Roman (590 AD) ..... 10.03 - SZ43 (Click for more info)

6. North Roman Warrior (590 AD) ..... 10.08 - NS3c (Click for more info)

Last edited:
I never heard trojans where aligned with ilyrians.....trojans and thracians yes, actually east of troas lands on the coast was thracian lands , north of trojans, where thracians, samothrace island as well as lesbos where ancient thracian lands

It’s a theory, because Paeonians were classified as Illyrians and they are often mentioned in the Iliad, so were Dardanians, and Trojans often visited Apollonia. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were connected.

I am a north italian and i am much closer

1. Gallo-Roman (590 AD) ..... 7.349 - SZ28 (Click for more info)

2. Illyrian / Dalmatian (1200 BC) ..... 7.971 - I3313 (Click for more info)

3. Central Roman (590 AD) ..... 9.665 - SZ36 (Click for more info)

4. Central Roman (670 AD) ..... 9.851 - CL36 (Click for more info)

5. Central Roman (590 AD) ..... 10.03 - SZ43 (Click for more info)

6. North Roman Warrior (590 AD) ..... 10.08 - NS3c (Click for more info)

I3313 Illyrian / Dalmatian 1200 BC shared identified DNA segments

p1KjOHE.jpg

There is no evidence to say he wasn’t Greek, apart from rumours about his mum being half barbaric, and him having non Greeks in his army along with Greeks, but that’s not very uncommon in armies.

He was Greek, if any of the “Greek” heroes turn out not to be Greek it would probably most likely be Achilles and not Alexander the Great any smart Albanian who’s studied Alexander the Great knows he was Greek and not Illyrian, unless his mother really was half Illyrian, that still makes him a Greek with Illyrian ancestry, it doesn’t take away his Greek origins.

First of all, the issue is more complex and simple than we make it to be in the same time. All these tribes who lived next to each other were very similar to identical, and for sure Proto-Hellenes were brothers/cousins of the exact same stock as Proto-Illyrians and Thracians.

What made them different after 1000 years? The amount of local intermixing, assuming the Hellenes inherited far more local genes than the more Northern Illyrians and Thracians were the population could have been more scarce, but also the further South (or any direction) the more diluted would have been the blood of the tribes, e.g. the Hellenes didn't come overnight from North Eastern Europe to Southern Greece.

So considering this, personally I see an obvious connection between the local unknown culture of Greece and its appropriation by the incoming Hellenes. For sure their forefathers who dwelt more North were identical to the Illyrians and Thracians in their appearance, way of life, etc. The caste system of India comes to mind with such an example.

Now back on the topic, all those small tribes around the area of South Illyria, Paeonia, Epirus, Makedonia, Emathia, Mygdonia, Orestis, etc. were a bunch of highlanders cousins to each other. What fate brought for them later on is different depending on the situation, as some adopted the city states system of the Southern Hellenes while others remained barbaric in way of life and tongue.

Even proper Illyrians were accepted to the Olympic games and the coins from Skodra (the capital of the strongest Illyrii proprie dicti tribes) were written in Greek, yet it doesn't make them Greeks.

Did we inherit Alexander's biography book where he proudly says 100 times how Greek he was? No.

Did he spread Greek culture? Of course. How different was the Greek culture from it's neighbours? It seems not so much, they're both Indo-European with Balkan influence and right next to each other.

Was this amazing culture we are all fascinated about really Greek (Indo-European)? Maybe not, maybe partially.

Were the true Athenians and Spartans were the same? Maybe not. Maybe the Spartans descended more from pure blooded Dorians/Hellenes and were physically more Northern, while the Athenians were assimilated locals of the Mediterranean type who inherited a way more advanced culture influenced by the even more advanced Aegean, Hittite, Egyptian, Phoenician, etc. cultures.

So Alexander was a cultured rich prince with a hot temper and spirit of a ruthless yet fair and curious conqueror. He wasn't a poor Illyrian ruthless warrior whose main profession was piracy nor a well mannered sophisticated Athenien "softie".

Hope that makes sense and answers the question as we're not talking about modern nations with established borders where even if different, people of the same nation were indirectly "forced" to mix with one another and still create an identity, even genetically. Although in the Balkans luckily that's not yet the case as the nations are still very young.

There were 230 Greek tribes. Makednoi, the progenitors of Macedonians among them. They were a nomadic, pastoralist society that wandered around Thessaly, Epirus, Western Macedonia for centuries, before settling first around Aigai and later Pella. Other Greek tribes were also on the move sometimes displaced by stronger, more aggressive tribes.

Posts have been deleted which were off topic or insulting.

This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 58763 times.

Back