Politics EU Enlargement and Russia: Possible Marriage?

Should Russia become an EU member?

• Yes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
Russia has become a hot topic these days due to the events of Crimea. Although these are clearly sad events in our modern history as a continent, one has to account that Russia has played an important role in shaping Europe's history and it is considered a part of it, partially because of land, but also because of its civilization. Therefore I was wondering if Russia will ever become a member or EU in the (probably far) future.

What are your thoughts about that? Would you like Russia in or out?

Eventually it will happen but Russia is far from being ready at the moment.

I agree with LeBrok, it will eventually but it will take many many more years.

Russia has become a hot topic these days due to the events of Crimea. Although these are clearly sad events in our modern history as a continent, one has to account that Russia has played an important role in shaping Europe's history and it is considered a part of it, partially because of land, but also because of its civilization. Therefore I was wondering if Russia will ever become a member or EU in the (probably far) future.

Your question itself shows the difference between mentality of the so-called Europeans and Russians. From Russian point of view the EU can become a part of Russia but not otherwise.

Your question itself shows the difference between mentality of the so-called Europeans and Russians. From Russian point of view the EU can become a part of Russia but not otherwise.
We'll put GG, this is another reason why it won't happen any time soon. A different vision, different goals, a different mind set at the moment.

We'll put GG, this is another reason why it won't happen any time soon. A different vision, different goals, a different mind set at the moment.

It looks like you do not know European history. When Russia switches in expansion mode you'll see how the history repeats again. I guess in 50-100 years Russia will completely incorporate and absorb the present day EU members.

It looks like you do not know European history. When Russia switches in expansion mode you'll see how the history repeats again. I guess in 50-100 years Russia will completely incorporate and absorb the present day EU members.
I'm glad you opened up. It shows to the world that Ukrainians are right to be afraid of Russia and russian mind set and look for protection to the EU and NATO.

I'm glad you opened up. It shows to the world that Ukrainians are right to be afraid of Russia and russian mind set and look for protection to the EU and NATO.

Ha-ha-ha. So when the EU incorporates and absorbs countries it's always for the good but when Russia does it it's always for the bad.

Ha-ha-ha. So when the EU incorporates and absorbs countries it's always for the good but when Russia does it it's always for the bad.
Yes, by force is bad, by choice is good. And for that reason Russia lost many countries from it's Union (Soviet Union included) and EU gained. Perhaps for russian mindset it is the same thing, but not to the free world.

Yes, by force is bad, by choice is good. And for that reason Russia lost many countries from it's Union (Soviet Union included) and EU gained. Perhaps for russian mindset it is the same thing, but not to the free world.

Don't ascribe to me your thoughts. I have never claimed that any countries would be incorporated in Russia (Custom Union) by force.

I heard EU is afraid that Russia becomes part of the EU. 1) Because Russia is too huge. 2) Too strong organized crime (Воры в законе ) in Russia. 1 + 2 = too much anarchy in Russia.

Don't ascribe to me your thoughts. I have never claimed that any countries would be incorporated in Russia (Custom Union) by force.
Who wants to join Russian Union hands up! Right...

I do not think European Union is actually good for all European people,is clearly good for Germany,Austria.
Is not good clearly for Spain,Greece,Romania.
Is true that is a lot of corruption in Greece and Romania,but in Spain is not and Spain have worst situation from European Union,as un-employment,while most poor from European Union are Romanians.
For Eastern and South European people European Union seems to not be good .
Take for example Montenegro who already got Euro as currency,European Union leaders are refusing to receive Montenegro in EU.
Greece was a very rich country,with a very high standard of living,before entering EU,now they got a lot more poor.
In Romania,we even got hospitals closing because lack of funds,railroads,no money to maintain them anymore,train got to run with average speed of 40 km/h or even worse in same parts were before was running with about 80km or more average speed...
Besides,I noticed that is a lot of racism against Asian people in European Union,against East and North and Central Asian people,more exactly,middle-eastern are well received into EU,same about Indians and Pakistanis.
And Russia got a lot of North Asian,Central Asian people,with slanted eyes,which are considered by most Europeans savages and so on.
So I think with how actual Europeans are thinking,it would not be good for Russia people to enter EU.
Is true,I do not like Putin too much either.

Lol.
People from West Ukraine do not like Putin and the people he put as leaders of Russia.
They do not have something against Russians,in fact,there is a significant number of Russians in West Ukraine also.
For example Kiev got 13% of the population composed of Russians:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev#Ethnic_composition
I am pretty sure that between the protesters from EuroMaidan there were also Russians.
At Muzychko funerals,that great patriot nationalist,was also Russian people.

The EU = European Union which is a group of countries in a Union, on the other hand Russia is a country so its Russia that would have to join the Union. Its like saying the European union Joined Croatia. If it was the Soviet Union it would have been a different story I guess. It would two unions emerging in one

And again you have proved that you know nothing about Russia.
It looks like you do not know European history.
Just because I live in Canada? What a immaculate logic, lol, it is too far to know anything about Europe and Russia. The only thing you proved is how much you love to exaggerate.

Russia would dominate the EU and the US would discourage it as the combined Russia and EU would surpass the US.

the Russian Federation and the CIS is not as ceu an association of states but is a feudal and dictate which subjects countries breakers economically or physically as to the Crimea that Crimea is Russian is a nonsense look and a Russian are viewing a true inhabitant of Crimea and the truth explodes showing imperialist scam Russian leader and anti-democratic.
QED!
So therefore, I voted NO!

This thread has been viewed 46918 times.

Back