Religion Orthodoxy and Catholicism: From Separation to Unification

Will Orthodox and Catholic Chrurch be unified in the future?

• Yes

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
Is that possible in the new era?

As a Catholic myself, I never heard anything about reunification however I'm surea catholic priest and Pope Franciscan shed some light :)

I heard about it long time ago once and another time couple years ago. I don't think it will ever happen because there are too many differences and conflicts between the two. I don't think the pope believes in it either.

Im not sure what everyone else is talking about in the above posts. I think it is a huge possiblilty in the future, and Im almost certain it will eventually happen. This is a massively discussed topic in the catholic church, contrary to what the other catholic mentioned on here. First of besides ancient predjudices that still persist in local (orthodox) poopulations among the lay people (and some clergy) the relationships between the two churches is at an all time high. If it wasnt for the russian orthodox church, who is the most anti rome and west from all the orthodox churches and the most powerful , they may have joined up a long time ago. Patriarch bartholomew who is technically the first among equals of the orthodox church and its symbolic head is very close to the pope and is very positive towards the catholic church calling Rome the older brother. I saw a video of the patriarch of bulgaria meeting pope benedikt 16 and he literally knelt down and kissed the Popes ring. There was also a meeting of many orthodox bishops and Patriarchs( not russian) where they all agreed that the Roman pontiff was historically the head of the church and not just first among equals, but they disagree on how that is played out in the church and on papal infallibility. Pope J P 2 even said he would be wiling to limit some of his papal powers if it meant unity with the eastern church.

To the people who said there are too many differences....the differences in beliefs are very minute and scrupulous, the faiths are almost exactly the same, just with different liturgies. The main obstacle is the Papacy and its role in the world church. I see this as a big possibility in the future and i hope i see it in my life time.

Im not sure what everyone else is talking about in the above posts. I think it is a huge possiblilty in the future, and Im almost certain it will eventually happen. This is a massively discussed topic in the catholic church, contrary to what the other catholic mentioned on here. First of besides ancient predjudices that still persist in local (orthodox) poopulations among the lay people (and some clergy) the relationships between the two churches is at an all time high. If it wasnt for the russian orthodox church, who is the most anti rome and west from all the orthodox churches and the most powerful , they may have joined up a long time ago. Patriarch bartholomew who is technically the first among equals of the orthodox church and its symbolic head is very close to the pope and is very positive towards the catholic church calling Rome the older brother. I saw a video of the patriarch of bulgaria meeting pope benedikt 16 and he literally knelt down and kissed the Popes ring. There was also a meeting of many orthodox bishops and Patriarchs( not russian) where they all agreed that the Roman pontiff was historically the head of the church and not just first among equals, but they disagree on how that is played out in the church and on papal infallibility. Pope J P 2 even said he would be wiling to limit some of his papal powers if it meant unity with the eastern church.

To the people who said there are too many differences....the differences in beliefs are very minute and scrupulous, the faiths are almost exactly the same, just with different liturgies. The main obstacle is the Papacy and its role in the world church. I see this as a big possibility in the future and i hope i see it in my life time.

I completely agree. Even back when I was a girl in high school we would have regular ecumenical services with the Orthodox church in our community. We were taught that if we couldn't find a Catholic church while traveling to look for an Orthodox one, and take communion there.

People who aren't really versed in theology and the history of the rift don't really understand how small the gap is, and if they're not actively involved in the religious life of either community then they don't realize how much progress has already been made toward re-unification.

I completely agree. Even back when I was a girl in high school we would have regular ecumenical services with the Orthodox church in our community. We were taught that if we couldn't find a Catholic church while traveling to look for an Orthodox one, and take communion there.

People who aren't really versed in theology and the history of the rift don't really understand how small the gap is, and if they're not actively involved in the religious life of either community then they don't realize how much progress has already been made toward re-unification.

I have heard that orthodoxy dogma is also very similar to Islamic one, the moderate Islamist. The biggest distance is between Catholics and Islam. This is the view among the impartial people who study theology. Orthodoxy is also violent at times.

I have heard that orthodoxy dogma is also very similar to Islamic one, the moderate Islamist. The biggest distance is between Catholics and Islam. This is the view among the impartial people who study theology. Orthodoxy is also violent at times.

Anyone who told you that has never read a theology book in their lives. They've also perhaps been living in Skinner's box for their entire lives.

Are you aware that Islam doesn't recognize the divinity of Christ? Are you aware that this is the central belief of all Christians? How could Orthodox Catholicism be very close to Islam? That's absolutely mad.

There are no major differences between the beliefs of Orthodox Catholics and Roman Catholics, as was pointed out by another poster, other than the infallibility of the Pope. The rest is just liturgical differences.

"Are Catholics and Orthodox truly that different? For half a century now the two sides have been referring to each other officially as sister churches. A list of theological sticking points looks relatively short, and the Catholic understanding of papal supremacy is generally agreed to be the greatest difficulty. Old disputes over the filioque clause in the Nicene Creed (the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son) and the modern Roman dogmas of the Immaculate Conception and Assumption, both about Mary, are usually agreed by ecumenical cognoscenti to be subspecies of the problem of papal assertions. No one thinks this division can be solved entirely on a theological level. There are political wounds to be healed as well, especially over perceived proselytism by Catholics, most notably in the case of the Uniate Eastern Catholic churches."

"Two major cultural differences can be detected in the way Orthodox and Catholics live out their visions of Christianity. The first includes attitudes toward liturgy."

The other difference relates to things like fasting and prayer rituals.

http://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2007/12/03/what-divides-orthodox-and-catholics-how-faithful-can-foster-ecumenism-level-church

The basic problem is politics, with the Russian Orthodox Church throwing up roadblocks. Even that patriarch doesn't point out major theological differences and would I'm sure be absolutely horrified that his religion is close in terms of dogma to Islam.

Where are these unbiased theologians who think that the dogma of the Orthodox churches is close to Islam or that there are huge differences in dogma between Roman and Orthodox Catholics? You had better be prepared to cite your sources when you make a preposterous claim like that. I want the links to these theologians please. If you can't do it, stop repeating misinformation.

The gap is political, not theological.

Anyone who told you that has never read a theology book in their lives. They've also perhaps been living in Skinner's box for their entire lives.

Are you aware that Islam doesn't recognize the divinity of Christ? Are you aware that this is the central belief of all Christians? How could Orthodox Catholicism be very close to Islam? That's absolutely mad.

There are no major differences between the beliefs of Orthodox Catholics and Roman Catholics, as was pointed out by another poster, other than the infallibility of the Pope. The rest is just liturgical differences.

"Are Catholics and Orthodox truly that different? For half a century now the two sides have been referring to each other officially as sister churches. A list of theological sticking points looks relatively short, and the Catholic understanding of papal supremacy is generally agreed to be the greatest difficulty. Old disputes over the filioque clause in the Nicene Creed (the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son) and the modern Roman dogmas of the Immaculate Conception and Assumption, both about Mary, are usually agreed by ecumenical cognoscenti to be subspecies of the problem of papal assertions. No one thinks this division can be solved entirely on a theological level. There are political wounds to be healed as well, especially over perceived proselytism by Catholics, most notably in the case of the Uniate Eastern Catholic churches."

"Two major cultural differences can be detected in the way Orthodox and Catholics live out their visions of Christianity. The first includes attitudes toward liturgy."

The other difference relates to things like fasting and prayer rituals.

http://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2007/12/03/what-divides-orthodox-and-catholics-how-faithful-can-foster-ecumenism-level-church

The basic problem is politics, with the Russian Orthodox Church throwing up roadblocks. Even that patriarch doesn't point out major theological differences and would I'm sure be absolutely horrified that his religion is close in terms of dogma to Islam.

Where are these unbiased theologians who think that the dogma of the Orthodox churches is close to Islam or that there are huge differences in dogma between Roman and Orthodox Catholics? You had better be prepared to cite your sources when you make a preposterous claim like that. I want the links to these theologians please. If you can't do it, stop repeating misinformation.
You did not get my point or I did not explained clearly.!
If you take the Islamic philosophy, the way of thinking, is very similar with Orthodox way of thinking. Similar does not mean The same. Of course they have different characters in play, and different narratives how events unfolded, but at the end they produce very similar behavior among their followers. Both philosophies lead to violence. Let say the spiritual philosophy of Russians is Orthodoxy. Look how violent their behavior is, look what they are doing to their fellow Ukrainians. The same does not happen between fellow Catholic countries. Let say France and Italy are not fighting over the city of Nice, even though Nice is an Italian city because they share the philosophy of peace. You see why I am saying the dogma of Islam and that of Orthodoxy produce the same behavior thats why they are similar.

If you take the Islamic philosophy, the way of thinking, is very similar with Orthodox way of thinking. Similar does not mean The same. Of course they have different characters in play, and different narratives how events unfolded, but at the end they produce very similar behavior among their followers. Both philosophies lead to violence. Let say the spiritual philosophy of Russians is Orthodoxy. Look how violent their behavior is, look what they are doing to their fellow Ukrainians. The same does not happen between fellow Catholic countries. Let say France and Italy are not fighting over the city of Nice, even though Nice is an Italian city because they share the philosophy of peace. You see why I am saying the dogma of Islam and that of Orthodoxy produce the same behavior thats why they are similar.

Someone must read history again.

Austria Italy and France are all catholics,
but how may wars have among them?
at least the time of Napoleon,

Religious wars are over in modern Europe, except Balkans
which always is back or ahead of rest EU.
Balkans can be 200 years behind rest Europe and same time 100 years infront.

anyway the first effort was done around 1440 AD with pope Eugenios 5 at Ferarra-Florentia
the next happeneδ at 5 january at 1964 at Jerusalem
and the last this year 2016 also at Jerusalem

Happens or not has no meaning,
at least for me since both are christians, but both are corporations,

But the stupidity that Orthodox are like Islam or near Islam
IS THE STUPIEST THING I HEARD AT THE FORUM.
Maybe the writer believes that at East church countries exist Sharia Law. !!!!!!
or that at Orthodox comunities they stone for punishement

so
So outside Orthodox churches we see such views correct Dupidh?
talimpan-630x400.jpg

and maybe at the hospitals of Orthodox countries the common view is this

wpid-fmg.jpeg

the teachings of orthodoxy have absolutely nothing to do with violence and no more in common with islam than catholocism. Violent wars that accured recently were due to the collapse of yugoslavia and were almost entirely political. The balkans has historically been divided based on tribal and religious affiliation so naturaly that plays into it, but the wars themselves were political. Also, Islam was part of all of that too, not just orthodoxy. To claim orthodoxy is closer to islam than catholocism, is like claiming soccer in spain is closer to cricket than soccer in england is.

the teachings of orthodoxy have absolutely nothing to do with violence and no more in common with islam than catholocism. Violent wars that accured recently were due to the collapse of yugoslavia and were almost entirely political. The balkans has historically been divided based on tribal and religious affiliation so naturaly that plays into it, but the wars themselves were political. Also, Islam was part of all of that too, not just orthodoxy. To claim orthodoxy is closer to islam than catholocism, is like claiming soccer in spain is closer to cricket than soccer in england is.
Don't get me wrong! I am an atheist with no knowledge about religions. But the scholars find many common points between Islam and Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy coexist in many Islamic countries with Islam. That's not the point with Catholicism. Let say you have orthodox people in Lebanon who coexist with Islam. This does not translate with christian girls going out on miniskirts and Muslim girls on hijab. They both appear in public similar and have the same way of thinking. I am not saying that Christians preach for Mohammad, but they also show prejudice against women.

Don't get me wrong! I am an atheist with no knowledge about religions. But the scholars find many common points between Islam and Orthodoxy. Orthodoxy coexist in many Islamic countries with Islam. That's not the point with Catholicism. Let say you have orthodox people in Lebanon who coexist with Islam. This does not translate with christian girls going out on miniskirts and Muslim girls on hijab. They both appear in public similar and have the same way of thinking. I am not saying that Christians preach for Mohammad, but they also show prejudice against women.

You have failed to produce links to statements by theologians which support your view. Now you claim that scholars support your view. Please provide the appropriate links, or admit that they don't exist and your statement was incorrect.

As for the remainder of your post it's absolutely false. Are you aware that a good number of the churches in the East are in fact in communion with the Roman church and merely maintain a different liturgy?

Where you have gotten the absurd idea that Eastern Christian women follow Muslim codes in dress other than out of fear of harassment and worse I have no idea.

Oh
so there are not Catholics at Syrria (hundreds thousands, 2-3% of Population) in fact they are Greek catholic not Roman Catholic
there are not Catholics at Lebanon and Palaistine
there not Catholics at Turkey, or Egypt
there are not Catholics at Nigera Malli Nigeria
there not catholics at Kenya or Somalia
etc etc etc

Orthodox of Syrria
d8e2d058-7bb6-4ce7-b0e4-c0fb91c9c073.jpg

Melekite Greek catholic of Syrria

SIRIA_(f)_0803_-_Cristiani.jpg

and an old photo from Maronites Catholics (ex-monothelitisms)
maybe they look like Turks? or Greeks or Cypriots or Egyptians? with the Fez on head

220px-MontLibanbuikdingchurch.jpg

Dupidh from their look and dress do you believe thay are not Christians?
cause they are not dressed like Europeans?

just for your info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_in_Syria

Last edited:
Oh
so there are not Catholics at Syrria (hundreds thousands, 2-3% of Population)
there are not Catholics at Lebanon and Palaistine
there not Catholics at Turkey,
there are not Catholics at Nigera Malli Nigeria
there not catholics at Kenya or Somalia
etc etc etc

Most people, Americans, in particular, have no clue that there are churches in the east and other parts of the world which don't follow the Roman "rite" or liturgy, but who are nevertheless in total communion with Roman Catholics, accepting the supremacy of the Pope. The Orthodox are a different matter, but still very close. Regardless, the very idea that Orthodox Catholic Christianity teaches the same kinds of attitudes or accepts the behaviors of, say, not even Isis, but even Wahabism, for example, is nonsense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Catholic_Churches

By the way, the Maronite church to which the Lebanese Christians belong has always remained in total communion with the "Latin" Roman Catholic church.

Beirut, with its many Christian Lebanese, used to be a very cosmopolitan city from all I've heard and read, the "Paris" of the Near East. No more, unfortunately.

Look at these pictures of Beirut in 1965, before the Civil War, and think of it today. It also doesn't look to me like they were following "Muslim" codes of dress.
http://www.businessinsider.com/phot...ecame-known-as-the-paris-of-the-middle-east-7

Most people, Americans, in particular, have no clue that there are churches in the east and other parts of the world which don't follow the Roman "rite" or liturgy, but who are nevertheless in total communion with Roman Catholics, accepting the supremacy of the Pope. The Orthodox are a different matter, but still very close. Regardless, the very idea that Orthodox Catholic Christianity teaches the same kinds of attitudes or accepts the behaviors of, say, not even Isis, but even Wahabism, for example, is nonsense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Catholic_Churches

By the way, the Maronite church to which the Lebanese Christians belong has always remained in total communion with the "Latin" Roman Catholic church.

Beirut, with its many Christian Lebanese, used to be a very cosmopolitan city from all I've heard and read, the "Paris" of the Near East. No more, unfortunately.

Look at these pictures of Beirut in 1965, before the Civil War, and think of it today. It also doesn't look to me like they were following "Muslim" codes of dress.
http://www.businessinsider.com/phot...ecame-known-as-the-paris-of-the-middle-east-7

Melekites or Melkite are Greek Catholics
Maronites are ex-Monothelitism who enter Roman-Catholic

etc are Chaldeans in Iraq
Armenian Catholics

at Near East and middle East due to old teaches of Monophysites, Nestorianism Eutuchianism etc etc
and due to Crusades and Islam many things that are strange to our eyes you will see.

Christianity in Antiocheia is older than Alexandreia and Rome,
Edessa and Antiocheia are the second after Jerusalem in chronological time
In fact Rome is the last city that the apostoloi step, but founded by Peter,

so at the eyes of a typical Catholic or an Orthodox that converted by Rome or Nova Rome, a western these christianity seems and sounds strange,

anyway, it seems that no matter a pagan, i know more about christianity, than many in the forum.

these are chants of Catholics at Syria

As you see Christian is not only Romano-Latin and Greek-Koine language

These are also Catholic, Arabic
when I hear them I think I am in an orthodox church,
just hear them, and hear an Orthodox liturgy after,
it is the same feeling,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T04YsEqpMLQ&list=PLlbND4HhCFdGS4k0yx9_bQdSE1gh7qEGk

Last edited:
Islam - Catholic

Language perspective is similar. Praying in Arabic and Latin. Turkey tried to change pray language as Turkish pray call(ezan), but it didn't succes. So both religion have same perspective in this case.

Islam - Protestan

There is no marriage ban

Islam - Orthodox Christianity

Maybe something with Sunni Islam/Orthodox Islam

Hıdırellez and St. George day is common festival.

Islam - Eastern Orthodox

Especially, Eastern Orthodox christian who lives in Middle East are more similar with Islam then the others in community/cultural rules. It is effect of living side by side.

and I know that there Christians who believe that Jesus was just a man and prophet as in Islam.

but I don't see clear similarity between Islam and one Christianity branch.

Islam - Catholic

Language perspective is similar. Praying in Arabic and Latin. Turkey tried to change pray language as Turkish pray call(ezan), but it didn't succes. So both religion have same perspective in this case.

Islam - Protestan

There is no marriage ban

Islam - Orthodox Christianity

Maybe something with Sunni Islam/Orthodox Islam

Hıdırellez and St. George day is common festival.

Islam - Eastern Orthodox

Especially, Eastern Orthodox christian who lives in Middle East are more similar with Islam then the others in community/cultural rules. It is effect of living side by side.

and I know that there Christians who believe that Jesus was just a man and prophet as in Islam.

but I don't see clear similarity between Islam and one Christianity branch.

Latin hasn't been used in Roman Catholic liturgy or prayer for decades, not since Vatican II.

As for your second bolded comment, whatever those people claim they are, whatever they were born or raised, they're not Christians, and I include in that members of Unitarian churches. It's like saying you don't believe Mohammed is the Prophet, but you're still a Muslim.

To be a Christian one has to believe in some version of the Nicene Creed. It's part of Roman Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Protestantism etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicene_Creed

This is the Roman Catholic version. It's recited by everyone at every single Mass.

"We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
Maker of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial
of one Being with the Father.

Through him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.

For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.

On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.

With the Father and the Son he is worshipped and glorified.

He has spoken through the Prophets.

We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.

We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.

We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen."

I'm fully aware there are lots of "Cafeteria Catholics" around; I used to be one myself. That's ok, in my opinion, when you're talking about rules and traditions that have accrued around the religion, like male clergy being celibate, or birth control etc. It's different when you find you can't believe in the central dogmas of the faith; then you should get out, which is what I did.

This thread has been viewed 25000 times.

Back