What is your eye colour?

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
Discuss ...

My eyes are very blue. I must be one of those Bronze Age invaders from the steppes.

My eyes are very blue. I must be one of those Bronze Age invaders from the steppes.

Only around 10%(at the most) of Yamna(considered to be proto-Indo Europeans) and Catacomb people had blue eyes. List of 65 ancient Pontaic steppe individuals and DNA results. They were a very swathy people. Indo Iranians and Tocherians who migrated to Asia though were pigmented like modern northern Europeans. One way or another you probably get your blue eyes from Mesolithic Europeans, since 3/3 tested are blue eyed. Even though Irish have only around 50% Mesolithic European ancestry or a little more 82% have light eyes. So modern European light eyes are not exactly directly from Mesolithic Europeans, because light eyes were probably selected for in WHG/EEF/ANE mutts after the Neolithic.

Mine are mostly green, actually I have heterochromia with brown hehe.

My eyes are very large and very blue, i get it from my Norwegian grandfather. My eyes are very similar in shape and size to La Brana-1's.

la-brana.jpg

I know many people with mixed eye color, but i think they usually count as light.

No I have a little bit more than the quarter of one of my eyes brown, the rest is green. The two parts are quite distinctive from each other, like the water and oil.

No I have a little bit more than the quarter of one of my eyes brown, the rest is green. The two parts are quite distinctive from each other, like the water and oil.

Never mind that's very unique i don't think I've seen it before.

Only around 10%(at the most) of Yamna(considered to be proto-Indo Europeans) and Catacomb people had blue eyes. List of 65 ancient Pontaic steppe individuals and DNA results. They were a very swathy people. Indo Iranians and Tocherians who migrated to Asia though were pigmented like modern northern Europeans. One way or another you probably get your blue eyes from Mesolithic Europeans, since 3/3 tested are blue eyed. Even though Irish have only around 50% Mesolithic European ancestry or a little more 82% have light eyes. So modern European light eyes are not exactly directly from Mesolithic Europeans, because light eyes were probably selected for in WHG/EEF/ANE mutts after the Neolithic.

This comment seems to me to be just as confused as most opinions about where blue eyes come from. I don't think we really know yet where blue eyes come from. My own comment was intended as humour.

I should mention that 60% of the human remains from the Andronovo cultural horizon that could be tested appeared to have light hair and eyes. And there are the Tarim basin mummies. So I don't see blue eyes (or light hair) as being specifically Meso European.

This comment seems to me to be just as confused as most opinions about where blue eyes come from. I don't think we really know yet where blue eyes come from. My own comment was intended as humour.

I should mention that 60% of the human remains from the Andronovo cultural horizon that could be tested appeared to have light hair and eyes. And there are the Tarim basin mummies. So I don't see blue eyes (or light hair) as being specifically Meso European.

Have you forgotten that the north European-like pigmentated bronze age Andronovo people and tarim mummies are 4,000 or more years younger than the blue eyed Mesolithic European samples? They all had a high amount of Mesolithic ancestry probably majority like modern north-eastern Europeans. The Indo Europeans were not a race, why else do you think the Indo Iranians and Tocherians were so pale but earlier Indo Europeans in eastern Europe were very dark? All early Indo Europeans were probably a mixture of near eastern(mainly early European farmers), WHG, and ANE.

Also, i never said light eyes originated in stone age Europe. Modern middle easterns probably have 0% or close to 0% European-specific ancestry, yet have 3-20% light eyes many west asians have around 20%. Light eyes are a west Eurasian trait, and because of selection became very popular in stone age European hunter gatherers.

Have you forgotten that the north European-like pigmentated bronze age Andronovo people and tarim mummies are 4,000 or more years younger than the blue eyed Mesolithic European samples? They all had a high amount of Mesolithic ancestry probably majority like modern north-eastern Europeans. The Indo Europeans were not a race, why else do you think the Indo Iranians and Tocherians were so pale but earlier Indo Europeans in eastern Europe were very dark? All early Indo Europeans were probably a mixture of near eastern(mainly early European farmers), WHG, and ANE.

Also, i never said light eyes originated in stone age Europe. Modern middle easterns probably have 0% or close to 0% European-specific ancestry, yet have 3-20% light eyes many west asians have around 20%. Light eyes are a west Eurasian trait, and because of selection became very popular in stone age European hunter gatherers.

I think you're making a lot of assumptions that can't be substantiated. I don't think it's clear at all where blue eyes came from.

purple iris n deep purple pupil n blue outer ring

Green. Central brown heterochromia.

None of the mirrors in my house agree on what kind of brown my eyes actually are. Seriously. LOL

I have blue/green eyes.

Hazel or brown? What do you think?

Hazel with more brown (mine are hazel with more green).

See here: "In hazel eyes, the amount of brown varies from one person to another. This ranges from a glint to a strong brown or gold color, depending on the concentration and type of melanin in the iris."

This thread has been viewed 21125 times.

Back