FTDNA MyOrigins

European-85%
North mediterranean Basin-68%
Trans-Ural peneplain-17%

Middle Eastern-14%
Anatolia&Caucasus-14%

mine

23andme has me at 99% european, but they cover only the last 500 years.
Indication that myOrigins goes back further than 500Years

What's the "noise threshold" in myOrigins admixtures? I've heard that in Gedmatch and 23andme, percentages below 1% were uninterpretable, but i might be wrong.

For example, here's numbers from my myOrigins admixture (can't post pictures, not enough postcount):

- North Circumpolar: 2%
- Central/South Asian: 2%
- Middle Eastern: 2%

Do these numbers even mean something, statistically?

mine

23andme has me at 99% european, but they cover only the last 500 years.
Indication that myOrigins goes back further than 500Years

Yes, I am pretty sure at least some of the results must go back (far) more than 500 years.

I forgot to mention in my previous post (#9) that of course the vikings brought back to Norway quite a few celtic slaves. We still find "celtic" R1b in Norway, so probably there is that type of autosomal DNA as well. That could also account for some of my seeming ancestry from the British Isles in myOrigins. My father and maternal uncle also have a certain % from there. I guess most Norwegians have.

What's the "noise threshold" in myOrigins admixtures? I've heard that in Gedmatch and 23andme, percentages below 1% were uninterpretable, but i might be wrong.

For example, here's numbers from my myOrigins admixture (can't post pictures, not enough postcount):

- North Circumpolar: 2%
- Central/South Asian: 2%
- Middle Eastern: 2%

Do these numbers even mean something, statistically?

I don't remember reading anything about "noise threshold" in myOrigins yet. You could try posting your question at the FTDNA forums, if you haven't already.

from DNAexplained forum

checked with Dr. David Mittelman on this question and he provided the following information:
Anatolia & Caucasus – On the order of 5-10 K
Asian Northeast – On the other of 5-10 K
Bering Expansion – On the order of 10-15 K
East Africa Pastoralist – On the order of 3-5 K
East Asian Coastal Islands – On the order of 5-10K
Eastern Afroasiatic – On the order of 5-10 K
Eurasian Heartland – On the order of 5-10 K
European Coastal Islands – On the order of 2-4 K
European Coastal Plain – On the order of 1-3 K
European Northlands – On the order of 3-5 K
Indian Tectonic – On the order of 3-5 K
Jewish Diaspora – On the order of 1-2 K
Kalahari Basin – On the order of 50 K
Niger-Congo Genesis – On the order to 2-4 K
North African Coastlands – On the order of 5-10 K
North Circumpolar – On the order of 10 K
North Mediterranean – On the order of 5-10 K
Trans-Ural Peneplain – On the order of 2-4 K

from DNAexplained forum

checked with Dr. David Mittelman on this question and he provided the following information:
Anatolia & Caucasus – On the order of 5-10 K
Asian Northeast – On the other of 5-10 K
Bering Expansion – On the order of 10-15 K
East Africa Pastoralist – On the order of 3-5 K
East Asian Coastal Islands – On the order of 5-10K
Eastern Afroasiatic – On the order of 5-10 K
Eurasian Heartland – On the order of 5-10 K
European Coastal Islands – On the order of 2-4 K
European Coastal Plain – On the order of 1-3 K
European Northlands – On the order of 3-5 K
Indian Tectonic – On the order of 3-5 K
Jewish Diaspora – On the order of 1-2 K
Kalahari Basin – On the order of 50 K
Niger-Congo Genesis – On the order to 2-4 K
North African Coastlands – On the order of 5-10 K
North Circumpolar – On the order of 10 K
North Mediterranean – On the order of 5-10 K
Trans-Ural Peneplain – On the order of 2-4 K

OK, if I understand this correctly: A certain % of North Circumpolar might be an influence streching back to 10 000 years, but it could also be much more recent (depending on the known papertrail).

Here are my results:
myorigins.jpg

Maternal German line is quite huge... More than I was expecting.
Paternal Y-DNA match Armenian line might be for the Anatolia & Caucasus, but TMRCA 800-1200 years.
North Mediterranen: ? :S Maybe Balkans.

Last edited:
OK, if I understand this correctly: A certain % of North Circumpolar might be an influence streching back to 10 000 years, but it could also be much more recent (depending on the known papertrail).

true for you, but it also means they have used some ancient markers that go back to the dates that are stated. Only you know your more recent paternal line.

the program will also minimize the Jewish numbers in the test and also the European coastal plain. So if true then for me the 47% of ECP can only be a maximum time of bronze-age period , while my 22% of NM is much older. But what of my 9% of TUP ?

Yes, I am pretty sure at least some of the results must go back (far) more than 500 years.

I forgot to mention in my previous post (#9) that of course the vikings brought back to Norway quite a few celtic slaves. We still find "celtic" R1b in Norway, so probably there is that type of autosomal DNA as well. That could also account for some of my seeming ancestry from the British Isles in myOrigins. My father and maternal uncle also have a certain % from there. I guess most Norwegians have.

well my closest genetic matches from ftdna is one from south Sweden and one from ireland ( 2nd cousins whatever that means in their description)
while 23andme which is only 500 years old has 19 x 2nd and 3rd cousins from North-east italy, 2 swabians , 2 dutch and 1 slovene...............plus another 150, 4th and 5th cousins from italy austria, swiss and france mostly

well my closest genetic matches from ftdna is one from south Sweden and one from ireland ( 2nd cousins whatever that means in their description)
while 23andme which is only 500 years old has 19 x 2nd and 3rd cousins from North-east italy, 2 swabians , 2 dutch and 1 slovene...............plus another 150, 4th and 5th cousins from italy austria, swiss and france mostly
Can we find out what 2nd cousin mean. I have a match, he's Albanian from Montenegro.

Can we find out what 2nd cousin mean. I have a match, he's Albanian from Montenegro.

A 2nd cousin could be just that, but in my experience my 2nd-4th cousin matches are often a few generations further back, due to multiple lines from one or a few common ancestors back in the 17. or 16. centuries.

true for you, but it also means they have used some ancient markers that go back to the dates that are stated. Only you know your more recent paternal line.

the program will also minimize the Jewish numbers in the test and also the European coastal plain. So if true then for me the 47% of ECP can only be a maximum time of bronze-age period , while my 22% of NM is much older. But what of my 9% of TUP ?

Thank you. I didn't think of paternal lines here, though. I mentioned NC because I have a couple of known Forest Finns families among my ancestors in the 17. century. I have not any NC in myOrigins, though, but my father and my maternal uncle have. The three of us also have Finnish matches or Norwegiian matches with Forest Finnish ancestry. But I have not been able to find common ancestors with any of these. Most of them are in the 4th - remote cousins range.

Do you have any recent ancestors that you know of from these areas? If not, it seems also 23andme could go further back than 500 years? I haven't tested with them myself, so I can't compare.

Do you have any recent ancestors that you know of from these areas? If not, it seems also 23andme could go further back than 500 years? I haven't tested with them myself, so I can't compare.

no, i do not have recent ancestors.....the dates are from 1645...........only only have a paper trail to 1688.

23andme state they only go back 500 years on their site.

BTW, 23andme are leaving USA and going to either Canada or Ireland ......because of FDA rules preventing them to test medical genes in USA people.

no, i do not have recent ancestors.....the dates are from 1645...........only only have a paper trail to 1688.

23andme state they only go back 500 years on their site.

BTW, 23andme are leaving USA and going to either Canada or Ireland ......because of FDA rules preventing them to test medical genes in USA people.

To me, 1645 is "recent"! ;) And it is within the 500 years of 23andme.

To me, 1645 is "recent"! ;) And it is within the 500 years of 23andme.

its a 2nd cousin genetic marker.....its not a paternal, paternal marker.....but it's a paternal , maternal marker

but 23andme never found it............ftdna did

A 2nd cousin could be just that, but in my experience my 2nd-4th cousin matches are often a few generations further back, due to multiple lines from one or a few common ancestors back in the 17. or 16. centuries.
Thanks, I'm interested to know especially because his Albanian.

MyOrigins did not gather data from numbers of people tested, but from SNPs found in people tested.........which is 270,000 plus

This thread has been viewed 64767 times.

Back