žëltyj
зелёный
zelënyj
волк
volk
Irishtinenuamáthairdeirfiúroíchesróntrídearg/ruabuíglasfaolchú

@Le Brok
the Greek you wrote are the modern greek, there are lot of differences
for example fire in modern is φωτια but comes from φως fos= light means the fire the spreads light (Phaun in some celtic)
πυρ cognates with Germanic feuer and british fire,
the flame is φλοξ Φλογος flox compare british flame

μυτη for noise is much much later,
the original ancient for nose is ρις ρινος (rhino like ρινοκερος (κερας= horn ρις=nose rhinokeros = horn on nose)

Green has 2 versions
the grass green which is χλωρος (chloe) compare Slavic zeleno (χ (ch) centum z satem)
the copper kypros (cypros) green which is (κυ)πρασσινος

etc

"""""""There is no doubt that Hungarians being in Asian Steppe must have been influenced by Iranian language of Saka and Sarmatians too.""""""
[h=3]Hungarian Szekelys have also haplogroups G2a1a1a Z7940, Q1a1b1 L712, G2a3b1a1b1 L1264,
and Ossetians have these haplogroups[/h][h=3]Maybe the name "Szekelys(Sekey)" have some conection to the name "Sakae"[/h]

Interestingly Sankrit listed words, from the table above, have all cognates in Slavic and Baltic languages, except the colours. Much more than with Iranian languages, Ossetian included.

Here is a nice compilation of few words found on Ossetian page on Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ossetian_language

Meaningfiremonthnewmothersisternightnosethreeredyellowgreenwolf
Translations into different languages
Ossetianарт
art
мæй
mæy
нæуæг
næwæg
мад
mad
хо
xo
æхсæв
æxsæv
фындз
fındz
æртæ
ærtæ
сырх
sırx
бур
bur
цъæх
ts'æx
бирæгъ
biræğ
Pashtoاور
ōr
مياشت
myāšt
نوی
nəway
مور
mōr
خور
xōr
شپه
špa
پوزه
pōza
درې
drē
سور
sur
زيړ
zyaṛ
شين
šin
لېوه
lēwə
Kurdishagir / armeh/heyvnumak/dayikxwişkşevpozsorzerd/borkesk/şîngur / wir
Persianآتش
ātaš
ماه
māh
نو
now
مادر
mādar
خواهر
xāhar
شب
šab
بینی / پوزه
poze / bini
سه
se
سرخ
sorx
بور/ زرد
zard / bur
سبز
sabz
گرگ
gorg
Sanskritagni/atarmāsanavamatrsvasrrātri/naktanāsatrirudhirapeetaharitavrka
Hindustaniāgmahīnanayābehnrātnāktīnlālpīlāharābheyrryā
GermanFeuerMonatneuMutterSchwesterNachtNasedreirotgelbgrünWolf
Latinignismēnsisnovusmātersorornoxnasustrēsruberflāvus, gilvusviridislupus
Greekφωτιά
fotiá
μήνας
minas
νέος
neos
μητέρα
mitera
αδελφή
adhelfi
νύχτα
nihta
μύτη
miti
τρία
tria
ερυθρός
erithros
κίτρινος
kitrinos
πράσσινος
prassinos
λύκος
likos
Armenianհուր
hur
ամիս
amis
նոր
nor
մայր
mayr
քույր
kouyr
գիշեր
gisher
քիթ
kit
երեք
yerek
կարմիր
karmir
դեղին
deghin
կանաչ
kanach
գայլ
gayl
Lithuanianugnismėnuonaujasmotinasesuonaktisnosistrysraudonageltonažaliasvilkas
Russianогонь
ogonǐ
месяц
mesâc
новый
novyj
мать
matǐ
сестра
sestra
ночь
nochǐ
нос
nos
три
tri
красный, рыжий
krasnyj, ryžij
жёлтый
žëltyj
зелёный
zelënyj
волк
volk
Irishtinenuamáthairdeirfiúroíchesróntrídearg/ruabuíglasfaolchú

quite a few correction.

In Kurdish for English new, "nu and newe" is in use. For moon, "meh/meng and heyv" while heyv means rather month. For nose additional to "poz" also "firnik" is in use. An depending on dialect some people say sur instead sor for the color red.

Last edited:
Interestingly Sankrit listed words, from the table above, have all cognates in Slavic and Baltic languages, except the colours. Much more than with Iranian languages, Ossetian included.

It's because Sanskrit was written down in holy documents and stayed very pure to it's root. While Iranic languages tended to loudshift allot.

In Hungarian Language there are many loanwords from Iranic, and these loanwords are close to Ossetic,
These Hungarian words, presumably borrowed from proto-Ossetian you can find in ->
Collection of works of Abaev "Ossetian Language and Folklore" (USSR Academy of Sciences, 1949).

Hungarian beeing a Uralic language(just like Caucasic and Altaic languages too) was in permanent contact with Iranic steppe tribes. Not only that Alanians did settle in Hungary. There are still the Jasz there too.

As a Baltic speaker I can testify that whilst random sanskrit text appears to make some random sense by a word or expression or at least recognizable once correct Latvian/Lithuanian cognate is guessed, Persian is not familiar at all to me. So I dont believe Lithuanian being closest European language to Persian :)

Persian language is very similar to French. However, that is a misleading association, since many words were introduced when Persians learned French and used such words in everyday language.

Examples:
Cadeau (present)
Ascenseur (elevator)
Alo (hello)
I cannot think of any other examples at the top of my head.

It is one of the most excitement threads, i will try to be synoptic cause my english are not satisfactory enough to describe but most likely to report or re-transmit. Allthough some of the opininions which are followed are not strictly mine but they "sound" very reliable to me. (caution! I am not a glossologist and either not a scholar. I am a school bus driver, i drive pupil's to the point !!!) :LOL:

Some people considered that Greeks is not a European language so maybe iam from the beginning off topic, but on the other hand historically/culturally the Persians and the Greeks are very close related and the greek language with the europeans, so except all the previous posts i will try to give some everyday words which not always the etymon is identified but the use in some cases are very obvious.
Probably many of them are comming also from the Ottoman era which -i consider Greco-/Persian child(π).- :unsure:

pe:persic, gr:Greeks
(colours+fruits)
pe:*
لیموییlimuyi
lemoni;= the fruit lemon, gr:λεμόνι, // the yellow, gr: λεμονί (by except, to derify from the other yellows like -κίτρινο,-κροκί
نارنجیnârenji
neranji;= the fruit, from Esperides family gr: νεράντζι, τζάνερα we derify it from the common orange fruit, for its sour taste.
220px-Citrus_fruits.jpg

قهوه ایqahvei
kaffe;= the product of the coofee beens, gr: καφές, the beverage drink.// gr: καφέ, the brown colour (dark), the light brown= ώχρα. maybe kaffe have an arabian origin and inserted as a term to iranian and to the anatolians later (?)(the origin of the beens and the beverage drink originate to Ethiopia)

How beutifull the words taste! How nice the words coloured!

*(as Le brok posted #47)

(Π= personal opinions)

Which European language is closest in relation to Iranic language?
Perhaps this can help us to find missing tribes of Sarmatians and Scythians among modern populations.

To answer your original question, the Scytho-Sarmatian languages are part of the Indo-Iranic branch of the Indo-European languages. There is one living Scytho-Sarmatian language, Ossetian, spoken today in the Caucasus.

Beyond that, amongst the modern Iranic languages, you of course have Persian (Farsi), Kurdish and Pashtoo that are relatives. Amongst the Indic languages, you have Hindi-Urdu and the Gypsi (Romani) languages. But they're all not particularly close because you have to consider that Scytho-Sarmatian, West-Iranic (e.g. Persian) and Indic were already different (albeit similar) languages in ancient times (think about Mitanni loanwords, Avestan, Old Persian and Vedic Sanskrit).

Outside of Indo-Iranic, where you have similarities are with Balto-Slavic (by merit of being Satem languages), as well as Greek and Armenian (the commonality here is the development *s- > *h-, but Greek of course is a Centum language). Again, these are ancient commonalities.

@Taranis thank you for being here! (always welcome in Athens to my place whenever!)

pe: persics gr: greeks

items and materials
pe: schal= women cloth covering the shoulders and the back of the neck. gr : the σάλι

pe pambak=the cotton as plant and as fabric gr: βαμβάκι ( some historians believe that macedonian armour cloth fabricated from cotton) (?)

pe:divan= the official boardroom (for the ottomans) gr: ντιβάνι, a specifc daybed with storage! (it describes perfectly the life of padisach, sultan, monarchs etc. Prosperity makes you lazy!)

pe: shatranji= the chess, gr : ζατρίκιο (persian origin game; Some consider as inventor the -Παλαμήδης,(Homer's Iliad),by far more clever than bloody Odysseus!!!)

units and measurements
pe: farsang= ~5200 meters gr: Παρασάγγας metaphorically we mean -opposite, the other dinstant thesis...from the other side etc.

pe:پول (~para)= currency, money; but also "the part of"..,ration; portion; gr: παράδες or παράς (the money), i believe there is lot to tell about -para<from "-pr" , which maybe is from a big family root of many I.E languages,an example Latin "per"or "prae" //gr: πέρα, περί,πρίν ,πρός,πέρας, πόρος... // ex. English para-suit (?) para-psychology(?)...etc

pe:pairi daêza (?)pardez = the surrounded by wall. pairi =περί and daêza = τοίχος (wall)gr : παράδεισος= paradise with the meaning of perivolos περίβολος/ περιβόλι= enviroment/garden so all together the "enclosured garden" !!!
How representative with the architect of the islamic gardens...

some interesting cases
pe:... gr: μαζδαισμός the religion of the Medes- Μήδοι (Ahura mazda- the brothers Ormuz & Ariman)
Mazda the cars; Wankel motor is trully divine! Rx-8 rocks!
pe: Magus gr: Μάγος= the magician, the root mag is very interesting, > Μάγειρος= the cooker, Μαγειρείο= kitchen, cook store etc.) making cheese is magical !!!

semanticaly non verified loans= hypothetical maybe's?
pe:تیارا، (tiara) gr: τιάρα = crown or the cover on the top of authorities like archibishops, like diadem -διάδημα or mitra-μίτρα
(caution) i cannot find how is related with homerical -μίτρα, which respond to part of the armour covering of the belly, also probably not related with Mithraism<Mithras<gr: Μίθρας, Μείθρας = Persian god of light<Avestan; Bedic; Sanskrit; mitra/mithra = friend, and also as an agreement

pe;sisani gr: σισανές= μουσκέτο, the one shot and front loaded riffle
pe:ستاره gr: αστέρας =the star < Ι.Ε -ster~ dispersed;> stern, stellar, satelite; etc

I am very enthusiastic about Iran/Persia if you also
some links for the Achaemenids, lot to search about...
http://www.achemenet.com/pdf/call.pdf
http://www.museum-achemenet.college-de-france.fr/ very good !
http://www.nino-leiden.nl/publications.aspx?id=10

for some of the above
http://www.ellinopedia.com/ellinika/persikes-lexis-stin-elliniki-glossa
and
Ετυμολογικό λεξικό Αξ. καθ. Ι. Μπαμπινιώτη (my Holy bible!)

The Mokshas (branch of the Finnic peoples) live in Eastern Europe and have many words(pastoralist terminology mostly) close to Ossetian words

Moksha
Syada = hundred
Ossetian
Sædæ = hundred

Moksha
Veroz = lamb
Ossetian
Uærykk = lamb

Moksha
Mirde = husband
Ossetian
Mard = dead man

Moksha
Vrgaz = wolf
Old Ossetian
Uarhag = wolf

Moksha
bas bavas bavaz = god , happiness
Ossetian
Fes = happiness

Moksha
syrne=gold
Ossetian
zærin = gold

Moksha
vaz = calf
Ossetian
uæs = calf

Moksha
syava = goat
Ossetian
tsæw / sæg' = goat

Moksha
uræś, urozi = castrated boar
Ossetian
uæraz = wild boar

@Robert, the case of goat (ossetian) is very interesting "-sæg' for somehow is close with gr:- Αίγα (?!) ~Aegha; (goat)
-Aegean sea? ...No the goats cannot swim but they can drink salted water... :)

@Robert, the case of goat (ossetian) is very interesting "-sæg' for somehow is close with gr:- Αίγα (?!) ~Aegha; (goat)
-Aegean sea? ...No the goats cannot swim but they can drink salted water... :)

In Ossetian it is
male goat = tsæw,, τσαιυ / τσαιου (αι ~ ε)
female goat = sægh,, σαιγ (αι ~ ε)

In Ossetian it is
male goat = tsæw,, τσαιυ / τσαιου (αι ~ ε)
female goat = sægh,, σαιγ (αι ~ ε)
About
Ossetian ~ Greek
sægh(σαιγ) ~ αιγα
tsi kanis(τσι κάνις) ~ τί κάνεις;
Nom(Νομ) ~ Όνομα
and many other cognates
There is also a theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeco-Aryan

Is this a joke?
Moksha
Mirde = husband
Ossetian
Mard = dead man

Husband cognate with dead man?
:D

Is this a joke?
Moksha
Mirde = husband
Ossetian
Mard = dead man

Husband cognate with dead man?
:D

It is easy
mortal >> dead man
mortal >> man >> husband

There another word in Romanian,which is quite common in other languages,cioban,which Hasdeu is telling that it was from Dacian (Indo-Iranian) language.
He makes an extensive demonstration and he shows Armenians are also using this word for shepherd .
Now,most linguists are saying cioban is coming from Turkic,but I do not know Turks to have as traditional raising sheep .
As Alan said, choban is an Iranian word. Warlike nomadic Turkic tribes have adopted it when they crossed the Iranian plateau in II.nd millenia BC.

This thread has been viewed 65590 times.

Back