Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Citizen of the world
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b Z2109
mtDNA haplogroup
H1c
Which European language is closest in relation to Iranic language?
Perhaps this can help us to find missing tribes of Sarmatians and Scythians among modern populations.

Which European language is closest in relation to Iranic language?
Perhaps this can help us to find missing tribes of Sarmatians and Scythians among modern populations.

I know Albanian is most closed,with most cognates,but I do not speak Albanian.
Anyway,Romanian got cognates from Iranian also.
There is a famous book in Romania,written by greatest Romanian linguist ,name Bogdan Petriceicu Hasdeu called "Pierit-au dacii?" ("Did the Dacians perished?").
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogdan_Petriceicu_Hasdeu)
He gives clear examples of words from Romanian cognates with Indo-Iranic languages.

Scythian - English
dava, don - river
vay - wind
yava - barley
arp - deep
oior - man
pata - kill
arima - one
spu - eye

Historic distribution of Iranic Languages:
Scythia-Parthia_100_BC.png

Modern distribution:
Moderniranianlanguagesmap.jpg

Some cognates between Iranian and Romanian:
Iranian Romanian
booseh - kiss - buze (pronounced almost same) - lips
In Albanian there is also buza - lip.
jwrab - sock ciorap - sock - pronunciation is very closed. Albanian got also ciorape (sorry is quite hard to explain how ci is pronounced in Romanian,is like the Slavic C is pronounced.)
This word is told to come from Turkic,but is quite too much coincidence to come in Romanian,Albanian and Iranic/Persian/Farsi from Turkic.
Besides,it has 2 vowels one after another which is not that often in Turkic,but quite often in Romanian.
For example another word,cioara (crow) having cognate Albanian sorrë .
zena - woman - zana - romanian - fairy
There are other words,but is quite hard to get,I need to open the book and read :D .

Closest to Indo_Iranic languages would probably be Balto_Slavic, Greek, Albanian and Armenian I would say.

If Thracian,Dacian, Tocharian and Hittite still existed they would probably come first place.

Closest to Indo_Iranic languages would probably be Balto_Slavic, Greek, Albanian and Armenian I would say.
Do you mean in this order?

If Thracian,Dacian, Tocharian and Hittite still existed they would probably come first place.
It makes sense. Usually the neighborly languages have biggest influence on each other and closer relation.

Some cognates between Iranian and Romanian:
Iranian Romanian
booseh - kiss - buze (pronounced almost same) - lips
In Albanian there is also buza - lip.
It is amazing, in Polish too, "buzia", lips/kiss/face depending on context.

zena - woman - zana - romanian - fairy
This one is common too, polish żona, russian жена - wife.
There are other words,but is quite hard to get,I need to open the book and read :D .
By all means, read up and contribute new words. :)

Romanian barza- stork
Albanian bardhe-same meaning
Gorani barz-high
Ossetian barz- birch

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:List_of_Proto-Indo-European_nouns

http://www.kavehfarrokh.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/zazakipositionof.pdf
pg169
Romanian bucuros -happy
Albanian bukurosh-handsome
Sogdian bukharak-place of good fortune

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukhara

Something else which has caught my attention.

Among Kurds there is a linguistic group called Gorani. On the Balkans there is a ethno-linguistic group called also Gorani.

Among Kurds there is an linguistic group called Zoran and Zoran exists as male name. On the Balkans I have heard Zoran exists also as male name is that true?

Historic distribution of Iranic Languages:

Modern distribution:
Moderniranianlanguagesmap.jpg

LeBrok this map from Wikipedia (as allot of things there when it becomes political) is not totally correct.

I prefer to use the linguistic map of Columbia univiersity. Open link in another tap to enlarge the map.
Mid_East_Linguistic_lg.png

Something else which has caught my attention.

Among Kurds there is a linguistic group called Gorani. On the Balkans there is a ethno-linguistic group called also Gorani.

Among Kurds there is an linguistic group called Zoran and Zoran exists as male name. On the Balkans I have heard Zoran exists also as male name is that true?

Yep, both true.

It is amazing, in Polish too, "buzia", lips/kiss/face depending on context.

Boosaa is also kiss in Arabic. Its Bewsa in Maltese so this word seems to have gone round abit :)

Boosaa is also kiss in Arabic. Its Bewsa in Maltese so this word seems to have gone round abit :)

Well it is well known that was strong contact between Persians and Arabs.
But it was no contact between Romanians,Albanians and Arabs.

There another word in Romanian,which is quite common in other languages,cioban,which Hasdeu is telling that it was from Dacian (Indo-Iranian) language.
He makes an extensive demonstration and he shows Armenians are also using this word for shepherd .
Now,most linguists are saying cioban is coming from Turkic,but I do not know Turks to have as traditional raising sheep .

This word is a "hear sound". It exists in allot of linguistic groups. I say hear loud because they are based on the sounds you hear when you kiss someone. They have no "real linguistic" background.

Miau for a cat sound is a similar case.

There another word in Romanian,which is quite common in other languages,cioban,which Hasdeu is telling that it was from Dacian (Indo-Iranian) language.
He makes an extensive demonstration and he shows Armenians are also using this word for shepherd .
Now,most linguists are saying cioban is coming from Turkic,but I do not know Turks to have as traditional raising sheep .

Coban is an Iranic word. Turks have adopted it when they crossed the Iranian plateua. However it might have been brought to Europe by Turks. Similar case is shashlik which is also an Iranic word but was distributed throughout Europe by Ottomans.

Last edited:
Capital/chapter/caput/...

Suppose up on time this time!(-Hope, Taranis help us!) Coban is also used in greece mean.= the sheppard. Gr./Τσομπάνης.
There is also a "capital" word... Check how the travel goes. (Excuse me for the greeks, literally and metaphorically!)

I mind the case of the head, inside and around, so -Persian, Sar;-> I.E. ker-a-; {the cap, the hat, the head itself;}.>
Gr. -Κάρα. -ka-ra, {=the head,the top,}, either Gr. Κεφάλι/Κέφαλος,
From -Κάρα-.we have>Gr. Κάρανος, (Τhe first Macedonian King.) mean. {the head leader; the father clan; the supreme on top;}.>
Gr. Καράκαλλον. -kar-a-kallon, {= the head scarf, hood, cowl, cover of the head}.> Latin. caracalla;
Gr. Καρύδι,-ka-ree-thee, το κάρυον, {=the wallnut,} simular with the head and the brains inside..!
Enough for the greeks which are many words with the root -Κάρα, and maybe also describes my very greek origin of Σαρακατσάνος or Καρακατσάνος; (sar/car,= the head;) + (Persian. cachan = fugitive; runaway;)
...continued.

Haha,just found this one,is excelent!
Iranian/Farsi - dest - hand = romanian deget - finger
To understand this more clear,in Farsi you pronounce hand - dast while old Romanian form for deget was desht
The current form of deget was "adjusted" to be cognate with Latin Digitus,meh.
And to see,in Albanian finger is gisht - clear cognate with Romanian desht and Iranian dast.
EDIT:
Forgot to add gisht in Albanian also means hand,not only finger.

This thread has been viewed 65620 times.

Back