Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Greece: natural gas and petroleum might not be far away

Ethnic group
    Epirotan

Greece: natural gas and petroleum might not be far away

It seems that in the near future companies will start searching for natural gas and petroleum (oil) in the Ionian Sea and Epirus region.
    All indicators show that we have quite a good quantity of those considering Greece's size.

Hopefully we will also turn to the Aegean Sea as well, so as to make the country a factor of energy in the larger European arena.
    Οι ηδονές είναι θνητές, οι αρετές αθάνατες.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Echetlaeus View Post
    It seems that in the near future companies will start searching for natural gas and petroleum (oil) in the Ionian Sea and Epirus region.
    All indicators show that we have quite a good quantity of those considering Greece's size.

Hopefully we will also turn to the Aegean Sea as well, so as to make the country a factor of energy in the larger European arena.
    If there is oil in Ionian see that must be shared with Albania according to international conventions. Probably with Italy too if a branch of the well stretches there. So hopefully we will benefit all.

Ethnic group
    Epirotan

Quote Originally Posted by albanopolis View Post
    If there is oil in Ionian see that must be shared with Albania according to international conventions. Probably with Italy too if a branch of the well stretches there. So hopefully we will benefit all.
    I think that they are talking about the part of the Ionian Sea that belongs solely to Greece according to the international marine law.

I sincerely hope that they don't find any oil or gas in the Ionian Sea. Greece would try to take all of it for themselves and leave Albania only the ecological disasters associated with such business.

Ethnic group
    Epirotan

Quote Originally Posted by kamani View Post
    I sincerely hope that they don't find any oil or gas in the Ionian Sea. Greece would try to take all of it for themselves and leave Albania only the ecological disasters associated with such business.
    As long as it is in Greek land, I don't think that there will be a problem for Albania.

Besides foreign companies are going to take it out. I suppose they know their job, but of course there are environmental concerns for Greece and the neighbouring countries.