Makin a map of EEF, WHG and ANE admixtures in Europe. Please post your data.

Pretty much in line with other Ashkenazi results, it's always around ~85% Near East & ~15% ANE.

Okay thanks, can you please answer my 2 questions on the thread "The Jewish people, where are they from?".

My result, all Norwegian back to the middle of the 17. century, when I connect to a few Danes, Finns, Germans and Dutch:
EEF: 42,57355725
WHG: 40,99924797
ANE: 16,42719478

My father's result:
EEF41,18706
WHG42,03763
ANE16,77531

My maternal uncle's result:
EEF43,9539
WHG39,98378
ANE16,06232

What does the ANE represent? Does it represent the PIE admixture of West Eurasians?

What does the ANE represent? Does it represent the PIE admixture of West Eurasians?

If the PIE urheimat is in the Samara Culture of the Volga, then we should soon know the proportion of ANE in them because the Reich group is working on a paper about them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samara_culture

https://mcidublin.conference-servic...tract.xsl&conferenceID=3958&abstractID=814052

Genotyping of 390,000 SNPs in more than forty 3,000-9,000 year old humans from the ancient Russian steppe
David Reich 1 ,2, Nadin Rohland1 ,2, Swapan Mallick1 ,2, Iosif Lazaridis1, Eadaoin Harney1, Susanne Nordenfelt1, Qiaomei Fu3, Matthias Meyer3, Dorcas Brown4, David Anthony4, Nick Patterson2
1Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA, 2Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA, 3Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany, 4Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY, USA
A central challenge in ancient DNA research is that for many bones that contain genuine DNA, the great majority of molecules in sequencing libraries are microbial. Thus, it has been impractical to carry out whole genome analyses of substantial numbers of ancient individuals. We report a strategy for in-solution capture of ancient DNA from approximately 390,000 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) targets, adapting a method of Fu et al. PNAS 2013 who enriched a 40,000 year old DNA sample for the entire chromosome 21. Of the SNPs targets, the vast majority overlap the Affymetrix Human Origins array, allowing us to compare the ancient samples to a database of more than 2,700 present-day humans from 250 groups.
We applied the SNP capture as well as mitochondrial genome enrichment to a series of 65 bones dating to between 3,000-9,000 years ago from the Samara district of Russia in the far east of Europe, a region that has been suggested to be part of the Proto-Indo-European homeland. We successfully extracted nuclear data from 10-90% of targeted SNPs for more than 40 of the samples, and for all of these samples also obtained complete mitochondrial genomes. We report three key findings:

• Samples from the Samara region possess Ancient North Eurasian (ANE) admixture related to a recently published 24,000 year old Upper Paleolithic Siberian genome. This contrasts with both European agriculturalists and with European hunter-gatherers from Luxembourg and Iberia who had little such ancestry (Lazaridis et al. arXiv.org 2013). This suggests that European steppe groups may have been be implicated in the dispersal of ANE ancestry across Europe where it is currently pervasive.
  • The mtDNA composition of the steppe population is primarily West Eurasian, in contrast with northwest Russian samples of this period (Der Sarkissian et al. PLoS Genetics 2013) where an East Eurasian presence is evident.
  • Samara experienced major population turnovers over time: early samples (>6000 years) belong primarily to mtDNA haplogroups U4 and U5, typical of European hunter-gatherers but later ones include haplogroups W, H, T, I, K, J.
We report modeling analyses showing how the steppe samples may relate to ancient and present-day DNA samples from the rest of Europe, the Caucasus, and South Asia, thereby clarifying the relationship of steppe groups to the genetic, archaeological and linguistic transformations of the late Neolithic and Bronze ages.

If the PIE urheimat is in the Samara Culture of the Volga, then we should soon know the proportion of ANE in them because the Reich group is working on a paper about them.

https://mcidublin.conference-servic...tract.xsl&conferenceID=3958&abstractID=814052

Genotyping of 390,000 SNPs in more than forty 3,000-9,000 year old humans from the ancient Russian steppe
David Reich 1 ,2, Nadin Rohland1 ,2, Swapan Mallick1 ,2, Iosif Lazaridis1, Eadaoin Harney1, Susanne Nordenfelt1, Qiaomei Fu3, Matthias Meyer3, Dorcas Brown4, David Anthony4, Nick Patterson2
1Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA, 2Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, Cambridge, MA, USA, 3Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, Germany, 4Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY, USA
A central challenge in ancient DNA research is that for many bones that contain genuine DNA, the great majority of molecules in sequencing libraries are microbial. Thus, it has been impractical to carry out whole genome analyses of substantial numbers of ancient individuals. We report a strategy for in-solution capture of ancient DNA from approximately 390,000 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) targets, adapting a method of Fu et al. PNAS 2013 who enriched a 40,000 year old DNA sample for the entire chromosome 21. Of the SNPs targets, the vast majority overlap the Affymetrix Human Origins array, allowing us to compare the ancient samples to a database of more than 2,700 present-day humans from 250 groups.
We applied the SNP capture as well as mitochondrial genome enrichment to a series of 65 bones dating to between 3,000-9,000 years ago from the Samara district of Russia in the far east of Europe, a region that has been suggested to be part of the Proto-Indo-European homeland. We successfully extracted nuclear data from 10-90% of targeted SNPs for more than 40 of the samples, and for all of these samples also obtained complete mitochondrial genomes. We report three key findings:

• Samples from the Samara region possess Ancient North Eurasian (ANE) admixture related to a recently published 24,000 year old Upper Paleolithic Siberian genome. This contrasts with both European agriculturalists and with European hunter-gatherers from Luxembourg and Iberia who had little such ancestry (Lazaridis et al. arXiv.org 2013). This suggests that European steppe groups may have been be implicated in the dispersal of ANE ancestry across Europe where it is currently pervasive.
  • The mtDNA composition of the steppe population is primarily West Eurasian, in contrast with northwest Russian samples of this period (Der Sarkissian et al. PLoS Genetics 2013) where an East Eurasian presence is evident.
  • Samara experienced major population turnovers over time: early samples (>6000 years) belong primarily to mtDNA haplogroups U4 and U5, typical of European hunter-gatherers but later ones include haplogroups W, H, T, I, K, J.
We report modeling analyses showing how the steppe samples may relate to ancient and present-day DNA samples from the rest of Europe, the Caucasus, and South Asia, thereby clarifying the relationship of steppe groups to the genetic, archaeological and linguistic transformations of the late Neolithic and Bronze ages.

I'm expecting samples from Samara to be >90% ANE when they come from around 6,000 years ago. Mixing with farmers would bring it down to 75-50% around 4,000 years ago. In these proportions they've entered Europe as IE. Will see soon.

So does this mean the 16% ANE I get from the calculator come from a PIE/Ural source?

So does this mean the 16% ANE I get from the calculator come from a PIE/Ural source?

I'm already on record that I don't trust the "calculator" results very much, since they conflict with the Lazaridis et al results, for some groups substantially so, and have wide confidence margins, but I suppose you could take it as a rough estimate of your ANE contribution.

When the results from the Samara people come in, we'll know much more, but I personally think the ANE is probably a signature of the movement of steppe peoples into Europe. It might also be partly a signature of hunter gatherers from the far north east, since a bit of ANE shows up in those people as well.

Ed. For Ashkenazim, it's a different calculation. People in the Near East have ANE too, and so do South Asians, but I don't think we yet know when it arrived, or with whom. Perhaps some of it came with IE people, but perhaps some of it came before. I'm afraid we still have a lot to learn.

I'm already on record that I don't trust the "calculator" results very much, since they conflict with the Lazaridis et al results, for some groups substantially so, and have wide confidence margins, but I suppose you could take it as a rough estimate of your ANE contribution.

When the results from the Samara people come in, we'll know much more, but I personally think the ANE is probably a signature of the movement of steppe peoples into Europe. It might also be partly a signature of hunter gatherers from the far north east, since a bit of ANE shows up in those people as well.

Ed. For Ashkenazim, it's a different calculation. People in the Near East have ANE too, and so do South Asians, but I don't think we yet know when it arrived, or with whom. Perhaps some of it came with IE people, but perhaps some of it came before. I'm afraid we still have a lot to learn.

I suppose you're right, until we'll know for certain, I guess it remains uncertain why East Mediterraneans have around 15% ANE.

I suppose you're right, until we'll know for certain, I guess it remains uncertain why East Mediterraneans have around 15% ANE.

The ANE in modern Middle Eastern people could be partly Turkish in origin, but that wouldn't show up in members of the Jewish diaspora who left the Middle East before the coming of the Turks.

The ANE in modern Middle Eastern people could be partly Turkish in origin, but that wouldn't show up in members of the Jewish diaspora who left the Middle East before the coming of the Turks.

Since Jews are a pre Islamic East Mediterranean group it's unlikely that their ANE admixture came from the Turks who invaded Western Asia about 1,000 years after the destruction of the temple. Therefore this ANE admixture probably came from somewhere else, but I guess this puzzle is yet to be solved.

ANE is present in all of Western and South Asia. It is more of an Indo_European or Proto_Caucasic signature. An evidence for this is that ANE reaches it's higest frequency among Iranic and Caucasic groups of Western Asia.

ANE reaches levels of 25% in North Caucasus.

Last edited:
ANE is present in all of Western and South Asia. It is more of an Indo_European or Proto_Caucasic signature. An evidence for this is that ANE reaches it's higest frequency among Iranic and Caucasic groups of Western Asia.

ANE reaches levels of 25% in North Caucasus.

ANE is present in small quantities in far northeastern European hunter gatherers much earlier than the possible formation of any IE groups in the Pontic Caspian steppe. Isn't it possible that likewise there was some gene flow from ANE people into some areas of the Near East and South Asia before the later movement into these areas of Indo-European speaking peoples?

I'm expecting samples from Samara to be >90% ANE when they come from around 6,000 years ago. Mixing with farmers would bring it down to 75-50% around 4,000 years ago. In these proportions they've entered Europe as IE. Will see soon.

There is no way they were 90% ANE. How do you explain nearly 50% WHG ancestry in Ireland when the Neolithic farmers of western Europe had only around 20-25%? Obviously the native Neolithic people of western Europe can not explain the high amounts of WHG ancestry that exist in northwest Europe. My guess is that they had more WHG ancestry than ANE.

There is no way they were 90% ANE. How do you explain nearly 50%
Before IE invasion there was only WHG and EEF admixtures in Ireland. For most northerly European countries, where farming came late, the ratio was close to 50/50. For south Europeans the admixtures were overwhelmingly EEF.

WHG ancestry in Ireland when the Neolithic farmers of western Europe had only around 20-25%? Obviously the native Neolithic people of western Europe can not explain the high amounts of WHG ancestry that exist in northwest Europe.
There was more WHG in NW Europe. In Neolithic it might not have been mixed evenly through population yet, with still some enclaves of pure WHG roaming around. Farming came late there and had few collapses letting Hunter-Gatherers recover and mix with farmers later.

My guess is that they had more WHG ancestry than ANE.
Impossible, although they had some (minority). Otherwise you can't explain about 12% level of ANE in Southern Europe and almost nothing WHG. I think IE came with ration 1 to 4, one IE to 4 locals. Assuming that they were roughly 50/50 EEF/ANE, coming from Yamna culture. Indo Iranians from farther east could have been much higher on ANE scale.

Lebrok at this point we can only speculate. Greeks score 4% WHG on Laz's test but that actually means they have over 20% aka more than Stuttgart, and also much of their ANE ancestry is from southwest Asian not Indo European admixture. We have autosomal DNA from Swedish(northern) farmers and yes they had more hunter gatherer ancestry than southern ones but much less than modern northwest Europeans and around as much as Basque.

This thread has been viewed 152307 times.

Back