Searching for famous I1 individuals

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Inspired by sparkey's excellent thread Searching for famous I2 carriers, I thought it could be useful to start a thread to investigate another haplogroup that hasn't yielded so many famous individuals so far.

Confirmed I1 carriers include:

- Birger Jarl

- Alexander Hamilton

- Andrew Jackson (see here)

- Leo Tolstoy

- Calvin Coolidge

- Warren Buffett

- Jimmy Buffett

Here are a few prospective carriers that should be further investigated.

- Winston Churchill : the Churchill DNA Project has mostly I1 individuals from England, including three who claim descent from a certain John Churchill (1620-1662) from Muston, Dorset. This site explains that an ancestor of Sir Winston Churchill also came from Muston, a William Churchill in the 1530s, and that it is possible that this William Churchill is the same ancestor for both lineages.

- Oscar Wilde : the Wilde DNA Project only has two Irish members, both belonging to I1.

Last edited:
The Kievan Viking Šimon may have belonged to haplogroup I1, according to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0imon

Maybe Jozef Beck, Polish foreign minister in the lead-up to World War II. His great-grandfather was called Ludwik Beck. Family Tree DNA mentions a Ludwik Beck, b. ca. 1800, from Poland. Could be the same person.

I was informed that a relative of President Jimmy Carter tested positive for haplogroup I1a.

The rapper Nas is a member of Haplogroup I1 according to Eupedia's very own Haplogroup I1 page.

Possibly General John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, although the evidence is perhaps not very strong. He was a descendant of Gitto de Leon of Normandy, 10th century, a descendant of whom tested as i1, according to the Churchill Project of Family Tree DNA. The project website also claims that an American Churchill family, descendant from a man named John Churchill who migrated to Plymouth Colony in the 17th century, belongs to the same line as Marlborough (who belonged to the Devon Churchills); several descendants of this John Churchill of Plymouth have also tested as i1, although one of them tested as r1b.

A few months ago I mentioned Józef Beck as a candidate. I think he can actually safely be assumed to be I1, since the person who tested is his son, as I understand from the Beck project website (earliest ancestor being Ludwik Beck). Beck is perhaps not hugely famous, but as the foreign minister of Poland in the 1930s he was actually an important figure in the outbreak of the Second World War.

Possibly Anthony Perkins (Norman Bates, Psycho). Several relatives have tested as I1 (ancestors John Perkins d. 1654 Ipswich MA, Thomas Perkins, b. 1525, Henry Perkins, b. 1340).

Maybe Confederate General Robert E Lee. A descendant of his ancestor Richard Henry Lee (1647-1714) was tested as I1, as well as a descendant of Richard's brother Hancock, although someone who claims to be descendant from Richard's brother William tested as R1b. (Lee surname project, FTDNA)

The Hamilton DNA Project Prepared by Gordon "Hamilton", Project Coordinator has some flaws. Alexander Hamilton (signer of the US Constitution) was probably not a descendant of the Hamiltons.
Here is a copy of an earlier post of mine: An article mentioned a "study" that stated the Y-DNA haplogroup of Alexander Hamilton's descendants was I. How could Alexander Hamilton have the I Y-DNA when I match DNA with his ancestors and I am R1b Y-DNA?
Alexander Hamilton of Grange (Lord) (DNA match) (7th Great Grandfather). The "Hamilton DNA Project" whose author was Gordon "Hamilton" was flawed. Maybe not on the topic of Alexander Hamilton's descendants, but on the original premise of the paternity of Sir James Hamilton, 5th of Cadzow (and possibly others). I am wondering why James had an uncle named John (Hamilton of Butterknock or 1st of Bardowie, born 1375) and his father was also named John (Hamilton 4th of Cadzow, born 1370, first son). Also why the brother of James (Walter Hamilton of Raploch) shared DNA, supposedly, with this "uncle" of James. Rarely in the Hamilton line will you find 2 full (not half) "brothers" with the same given name. I will continue searching for an answer to this and many other questions that the "well established" and so-called "documented" informationists have brought to our attention. And I do understand that the author of the article, Gordon "Hamilton" took the DNA sample from the cheek of his grandfather John Prouty PEPPER to come to the conclusion that his Y-DNA may have showed him that he was a Scottish descendant of "John Hamilton". Are there any family trees available for him or others involved?

An overwhelming majority of Hamilton DNA Project members are I-L338 and I-Z63 clades. Many of them claim links to various "chiefly" Hamilton families. What is your source for Gordon Hamilton swabbing his grandfather who wasn't a Hamilton?

The Hamilton DNA Project Prepared by Gordon "Hamilton", Project Coordinator has some flaws. Alexander Hamilton (signer of the US Constitution) was probably not a descendant of the Hamiltons.
Here is a copy of an earlier post of mine: An article mentioned a "study" that stated the Y-DNA haplogroup of Alexander Hamilton's descendants was I. How could Alexander Hamilton have the I Y-DNA when I match DNA with his ancestors and I am R1b Y-DNA?
Alexander Hamilton of Grange (Lord) (DNA match) (7th Great Grandfather). The "Hamilton DNA Project" whose author was Gordon "Hamilton" was flawed. Maybe not on the topic of Alexander Hamilton's descendants, but on the original premise of the paternity of Sir James Hamilton, 5th of Cadzow (and possibly others). I am wondering why James had an uncle named John (Hamilton of Butterknock or 1st of Bardowie, born 1375) and his father was also named John (Hamilton 4th of Cadzow, born 1370, first son). Also why the brother of James (Walter Hamilton of Raploch) shared DNA, supposedly, with this "uncle" of James. Rarely in the Hamilton line will you find 2 full (not half) "brothers" with the same given name. I will continue searching for an answer to this and many other questions that the "well established" and so-called "documented" informationists have brought to our attention. And I do understand that the author of the article, Gordon "Hamilton" took the DNA sample from the cheek of his grandfather John Prouty PEPPER to come to the conclusion that his Y-DNA may have showed him that he was a Scottish descendant of "John Hamilton". Are there any family trees available for him or others involved?

That's an interesting post and welcome to the board. I would be interested if you could look at the Y-DNA of the many Hamilton members of the FTDNA project and see if you could find a mistake. There are many Hamiltons that have not only been tested, but have had the BigY.

Elder William Brewster of the Mayflower was I1 based on the Brewster Surname Project (two sons' confirmed lines tested). Other Brewster lines have different haplogroups.

Frederic Remington, late 19th/early 20th century American artist best known for his paintings of the old west, along with his distant cousin Eliphalet Remington, designer of the Remington rifle and founder of Remington Arms, were both I1. Both men were patrilineal descendants (according to Geni) of Lt John Remington, who migrated from Yorkshire, England to Rowley, Massachusetts in 1637. According to the Remington DNA Project at FTDNA, 7 men on this line have tested and belong to Haplogoup I1.

William Bradford (d. 1657), governor of Plymouth Colony. Several descendants have been tested.

John Marshall, Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1801 to 1835, was I1 according to testing of a direct descendant. Kit 38821 at the Marshall Family DNA Project at FTDNA comes from a descendant of Justice Marshall according to a genealogy given on the site's news page. The results are found in family group 01, along with results from 3 other men with the Marshall surname. He may not be well known in the rest of the world, but he is definitely famous in American history- more so than many presidents- and is regarded as one of the most influential jurists in American history.

General George C. Marshall, U.S. Chief of Staff during World War II, Secretary of State under President Truman, and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1953 for his role in providing aid to postwar Europe (notably through the Marshall Plan), was a descendant of the same family and therefore also belonged to haplogroup I1.

Last edited:
That's an interesting post and welcome to the board. I would be interested if you could look at the Y-DNA of the many Hamilton members of the FTDNA project and see if you could find a mistake. There are many Hamiltons that have not only been tested, but have had the BigY.
Yes, many tested with the BigY for the results on FTDNA project. Many tested I1. The Douglas family was I1. The essence of the discussion concerning the Hamilton line is centered on the marriage of
John Hamilton 4th Baron of Cadzow and Janet Dalkeith Douglas (who used Jacoba as her stage name). Their first son was James Hamilton 5th Baron of Cadzow. For a vague reason, Gordon Prouty PEPPER "Hamilton" (who has no Hamiltons in his family tree), and other possible "researchers" decided that James Hamilton 5th Baron of Cadzow was not the son of John Hamilton 4th Baron of Cadzow. Not once did anyone mention that the Douglas family was known for having illegitimate children and that the second husband of Janet Dalkeith Douglas was a Douglas, William Douglas 1st Lord of Drumlanrig. This second marriage took place after the death of John Hamilton 4th Baron of Cadzow who probably did not know his other children, except for his first born, were fathered by William Douglas. And there you have one source of I1 Y-DNA. Similarly a brother of John Hamilton, also named John, John Hamilton of Butterknock or 1st of Bardowie BIRTH ABT. 1375 shared Y-DNA with the Douglas family also.
(#470 in text of "The heraldry of the Hamiltons : with notes on all the males of the family, description of the arms, plates and pedigrees"
by Johnston, G. Harvey (George Harvey), 1860-1921.)
Note: None of the other Hamiltons seemingly have been tested except for possible descendants of Alexander Hamilton (1st US treasurer and one of the signers of the US constitution) and his paternity is questionable and is still undecided.
You can find other comments on the paternity of James Hamilton 5th Baron of Cadzow on wikitree
You can also see my family tree on ancestry.com with a comment section also. Search for the family tree of mikedhamilton and you will find all of the DNA evidence and paper trail for the conclusion that the Hamiltons were R1b. From me, a descendant who is R1b1a2a1a2d, L238/S182, R-BY3451 , subclade of R1b1a1a2.

Yes, many tested with the BigY for the results on FTDNA project. Many tested I1. The Douglas family was I1. The essence of the discussion concerning the Hamilton line is centered on the marriage of
John Hamilton 4th Baron of Cadzow and Janet Dalkeith Douglas (who used Jacoba as her stage name). Their first son was James Hamilton 5th Baron of Cadzow. For a vague reason, Gordon Prouty PEPPER "Hamilton" (who has no Hamiltons in his family tree), and other possible "researchers" decided that James Hamilton 5th Baron of Cadzow was not the son of John Hamilton 4th Baron of Cadzow. Not once did anyone mention that the Douglas family was known for having illegitimate children and that the second husband of Janet Dalkeith Douglas was a Douglas, William Douglas 1st Lord of Drumlanrig. This second marriage took place after the death of John Hamilton 4th Baron of Cadzow who probably did not know his other children, except for his first born, were fathered by William Douglas. And there you have one source of I1 Y-DNA. Similarly a brother of John Hamilton, also named John, John Hamilton of Butterknock or 1st of Bardowie BIRTH ABT. 1375 shared Y-DNA with the Douglas family also.
(#470 in text of "The heraldry of the Hamiltons : with notes on all the males of the family, description of the arms, plates and pedigrees"
by Johnston, G. Harvey (George Harvey), 1860-1921.)
Note: None of the other Hamiltons seemingly have been tested except for possible descendants of Alexander Hamilton (1st US treasurer and one of the signers of the US constitution) and his paternity is questionable and is still undecided.
You can find other comments on the paternity of James Hamilton 5th Baron of Cadzow on wikitree
You can also see my family tree on ancestry.com with a comment section also. Search for the family tree of mikedhamilton and you will find all of the DNA evidence and paper trail for the conclusion that the Hamiltons were R1b. From me, a descendant who is R1b1a2a1a2d, L238/S182, R-BY3451 , subclade of R1b1a1a2.
I reviewed the Douglas and Hamilton projects. Like any Scottish family name, they are peppered with different paternal lineages, dominated numerically by R1b.

There is only one Douglas in the project who matches a large branch of Hamiltons. That Douglas line traces back to 1744 in County Antrim.

That man looks like a Hamilton named Douglas rather than a Douglas named Hamilton. Are you basing your theory on this one test result or are there others not made public?

And for what it's worth- the I1-Z63 line of Hamiltons is a different lineage than the above I1 group.

Agreed on the questionable nature of the father line of Alexander Hamilton- he grew up poor, raised by a single mother in a Caribbean slave plantation.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Eupedia Forum mobile app

This thread has been viewed 37956 times.

Back