George Washington probably belonged to haplogroup R1b-L21

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
The first President of the United States, George Washington may well have belonged to R1b-L21>DF13. This deduction is based on the results from the Washington DNA Project where most bearers of that surname belong to various clades under DF13. The only member who claims descend from John Washington (1632-1677), great-grand-father of the 1st US president, belongs to R1b-L21>DF13>ZZ10>Z253>Z2186>BY2744.

George Washington's ancestors hailed from Oxfordshire, and before that from Lancashire. Washington is a relatively rare surname and was originally distributed exactly in those two regions according to the 1881 survey.

220px-Gilbert_Stuart_Williamstown_Portrait_of_George_Washington.jpg

Last edited:
I believe he descends from a "William De Hertburn". A man who came to England with the Norman invasions. Was the L21 variant of R1B common among Normans?

I believe he descends from a "William De Hertburn". A man who came to England with the Norman invasions. Was the L21 variant of R1B common among Normans?

It would have not been uncommon in Normandy and Northern France in general. Normandy is fairly close to Brittany which would have been predominately L21, and Norman vikings were known to have married women from Brittany. It isn't far-fetched that some Breton men could have intermarried with Norman women as well, aside from men of the local population many of whom would be Northern-Gallic derived anyway I'd think.

This thread has been viewed 27136 times.

Back