Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: George Washington probably belonged to haplogroup R1b-U152 (L2+)

Regular Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 547
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody1 View Post
    It is impossible to differentiate between Italic/Legionaries and Gaulish/Auxiliaries in terms of the R1b-U152 spread in the Roman times; Given that Chester was home to both Leg. XX Valeria and Leg. II Adiutrix and given the fact that based on Epigraphics (Keppie 2000 / Birley 1979) the ratio was 2/3 - 4/5 Italic Legionaries during the early empire [Augustus>Claudius] and in Britannia specifically during the Flavian dynasty it was still 1/5 (almost exclusively from Gallia Transpadana); Given the strong presence of R1b-U152 in former Gallic and Italic areas the Washingtons could thus have stemmed from either; Keeping in mind that the majority of the so called provincials (Citizens/other Legionaries) were of Italic [veteran] stock as well (Southern 2006 / Campbell 1994);
    It seems like the big man has already differentiated the Gauls and Italics; end of the 2nd paragraph of this link below
    http://www.eupedia.com/genetics/brit...a.shtml#romans
    If the Britian/Gauls were of the L2 stock making GW's ancestor most likely a roman auxiliary, and the Italians make up 2/3-4/5 of the 20th legion. Judging from the logic I've stated, wouldn't that make L2 a minority in Lancashire?

L2 is 3/4 of the whole R1b-U152 population after all. I'm beginning to wonder if the Romans Legions scared off much of the Belgae tribes from fighting in their Legions due to harsh punishments; getting beaten to death for coward ness and sleeping on the job.

The thought of mine and George Washington's direct ancestors settling in Lancashire via fighting in the 20th Legion is quite admirable in itself in my opinion.

1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 359

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b U152 L2 L20
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1n

Ethnic group
    Dutch / French

Interesting that he belongs to R1b. I'm still mad at you guys for stealing the bourbon dynasty from us. I still say they were G2a.

Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 547

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Orca1 View Post
    Hi Twilight,

I just had a look at FtDNA website and found out their Y DNA test is $139. That's alot of money to start with LOL. and if I want to go with 111 markers its $319....!!!

Do you think it's worth it ? Have you tried them ?

Moved from the link below:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...766#post495766

i've yet to try it and waiting until I move out, but from looking at other's Ydna results they have some of the most detailed Ydna projects on the field so it's worth it. I haven't tried it yet only because I'm Ydna R1b-U152 directly descended from Blacklache village, Lancashire and there is a Roman stronghold nearby. My Blackledge ancestor; William Blackledge ( ?-1718) Is said to sail from Oxfordshire but instead sailed to Bucks country Penn. as a Quaker according to the Blackledge family bible.

But once I move out, it would be interesting to see if my direct ancestors came directly from Gaul or Italy before settling in Northwestern England.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12