Hey need some help with my haplogroups.

cody gearhart

Reaction score
hey all i wanted to post my haplogroups and need some help with my haplogroup on my paternal side.
Mom's side: L3,N,R,U,U5,U5a1d
Dad's Side: M42,M168,M89,P128,M45,M207,P231,M343,L278,P310,U106 (R-U106),U198 (R-U198)

All of these are from Geno 2.0. i'm asking what my ancestry might be or my ethinicity might be.
Thanks so much!

hey all i wanted to post my haplogroups and need some help with my haplogroup on my paternal side.
Mom's side: L3,N,R,U,U5,U5a1d
Dad's Side: M42,M168,M89,P128,M45,M207,P231,M343,L278,P310,U106 (R-U106),U198 (R-U198)

All of these are from Geno 2.0. i'm asking what my ancestry might be or my ethinicity might be.
Thanks so much!

look at your last designated number

you are mtdna = U5a1d
and you paternal = R-U198

so search net for info on R=U198 ( or R1b-U198) for your father's side

and search net for U5a1d for you maternal side
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_U_(mtDNA)#Haplogroup_U5

you can transfer results to ftdna for free ( it was recently) and have both sites running, Natgen and ftdna. Once you have a kit # from ftdna, load that into gedmatch ( its free) and then you can run the admixture programs and see your ethnicity.
As well , once you join ftdna, you can join the relevant projects fro free and the administrators help you in your questions 9 fro free)

Nat geno and ftdna are in partnership

Wasnt the answer i was looking for. i didnt get a download option after i transferred my free results to ftdna from geno 2.0.
i just thought you'd tell my ancestry/ethnicity from those haplogroups.

mtDNA U5a1d is not specific enough to give an associated ethnicity. The U5 Project guesses it to be about 15,000 years old. I suppose you can say that your U5a1d line is Eurasian.

Y-DNA R1b-U106>U198 is much more specific, but still not quite to the level of ethnicity. It's generally recognized as Germanic, usually West Germanic. Jean Manco has said:

Jean Manco said:
U198 is found in Germany, the Netherlands and Russia, as well as the Germanic-settled part of Britain. So the common ancestor most probably lived lived somewhere in the region where proto-Germanic was developing.

Wasnt the answer i was looking for. i didnt get a download option after i transferred my free results to ftdna from geno 2.0.
i just thought you'd tell my ancestry/ethnicity from those haplogroups.

ok, you received a kit number , upload that number into gedmatch
http://www.gedmatch.com/

you will then be able to check ancestry mix, people who are common with you etc etc

mtDNA U5a1d is not specific enough to give an associated ethnicity. The U5 Project guesses it to be about 15,000 years old. I suppose you can say that your U5a1d line is Eurasian.

We know mtDNA U originated somewhere in western Eurasia and most of the causes that create western ancestry probably existed in very early members of mtDNA U(like MA1 and the Upper Palaeolithic ancestors of Mesolithic Europeans) so it should be considered a west Eurasian maternal lineage.

U5 is the most European of all maternal lineages. We shouldn't question that theory until something like 3 basal U5 subclades dating before the LGM are found outside of Europe. We know U5 originated around Europe because U5 is by far most diverse in Europe, U5 outside of Europe is obviously derived of European U5, and because of ancient mtDNA samples(.

U5 has already been found in multiple major Upper Palaeolithic European cultures stretching a time frame of 20,000 years!!! This is very old knowledge,

U5 has been found in two 31,155YBP individuals from the Gravettian culture, one 20,000-17,000YBP individual from the Solutrian culture, one 12,300YBP individual from the Magdalenian culture, and was the dominate maternal lineage of Upper Palaeolithic, Mesolithic, and Neolithic European hunter gatherers with samples with a very large east to west range; from England and Spain-Germany and Sweden-Lithuania and Russia-irkutsk Siberia(European admixture), south-north range; from Motala Sweden and Karelia Russia-Germany and Poland-Southern Italy and Spain. U5 samples from Mesolithic and Upper Palaeolithic Europe have more U5 diversity than pretty much any modern non-European population. The fact that U5 was the dominate maternal lineage in Mesolithic hunter gatherers of Europe who's blood today is almost completely exclusive to Europe, is even more evidence U5 originated in or near the region we call Europe.

I have heard that the two U5s from the Gravettian culture were ancestral to U5a'b, and used to be called pre-U5. How would they know this unless the samples got results in more than just HVR1 and HVR2? It is very important we know the answer because if it is not true it will cause people to underestimate the age of U5.

We know mtDNA U originated somewhere in western Eurasia and most of the causes that create western ancestry probably existed in very early members of mtDNA U(like MA1 and the Upper Palaeolithic ancestors of Mesolithic Europeans) so it should be considered a west Eurasian maternal lineage.

U5 is the most European of all maternal lineages. We shouldn't question that theory until something like 3 basal U5 subclades dating before the LGM are found outside of Europe. We know U5 originated around Europe because U5 is by far most diverse in Europe, U5 outside of Europe is obviously derived of European U5, and because of ancient mtDNA samples(.

U5 has already been found in multiple major Upper Palaeolithic European cultures stretching a time frame of 20,000 years!!! This is very old knowledge,

U5 has been found in two 31,155YBP individuals from the Gravettian culture, one 20,000-17,000YBP individual from the Solutrian culture, one 12,300YBP individual from the Magdalenian culture, and was the dominate maternal lineage of Upper Palaeolithic, Mesolithic, and Neolithic European hunter gatherers with samples with a very large east to west range; from England and Spain-Germany and Sweden-Lithuania and Russia-irkutsk Siberia(European admixture), south-north range; from Motala Sweden and Karelia Russia-Germany and Poland-Southern Italy and Spain. U5 samples from Mesolithic and Upper Palaeolithic Europe have more U5 diversity than pretty much any modern non-European population. The fact that U5 was the dominate maternal lineage in Mesolithic hunter gatherers of Europe who's blood today is almost completely exclusive to Europe, is even more evidence U5 originated in or near the region we call Europe.

I have heard that the two U5s from the Gravettian culture were ancestral to U5a'b, and used to be called pre-U5. How would they know this unless the samples got results in more than just HVR1 and HVR2? It is very important we know the answer because if it is not true it will cause people to underestimate the age of U5.

The person wants to know his personal ethnicity, not your ideas

The person wants to know his personal ethnicity, not your ideas

Those are mainstream ideas not mine. Sparkey only said Eurasian which is not nearly specific enough for any member of mtDNA U5. It is close to impossible to give an ethnic report for U5a1d, but very easy for a pre historic report. My repetitive runons also annoy me and I'll stop on my own choose.

Last edited:
ok so U198 is pretty much still germanic even though it is a mutation of 106? the last time i went on gedmatch they never had a upload option for genographic that i didn't see you might have to walk me through with it.

hey sparkey another question for ya. Russia?!?! i looked a lot of places for R-U198 so that's another possibility of what my dads ancestry might be. what part of britain are we talking here? also one more question if say my paternal haplogroup R-U198 matches netherlands would i be dutch or would i be say english but with that haplogroup?

hey sparkey another question for ya. Russia?!?! i looked a lot of places for R-U198 so that's another possibility of what my dads ancestry might be. what part of britain are we talking here? also one more question if say my paternal haplogroup R-U198 matches netherlands would i be dutch or would i be say english but with that haplogroup?

It's been found in Russia, but that's not a primary place it is known to be. Like I said, it tends more West Germanic. That still covers a lot of land, including almost all of Britain, Netherlands, Germany, etc.

A question to see if I can help you more: Is "Gearhart" your surname, and if so, do you have any reason to doubt that it is your ancestral surname? Because if it is your ancestral surname, I would guess it to be a variant of the German surname "Gerhardt," which is particularly common around Frankfurt. That would be consistent with a U198 result.

also on geno 2.0 my dads side said Italian not sure why it would say that.
Sparky can only give you most frequent places of your y haplogroup current geographical presence. Otherwise Y chromosome contains only 2% of your DNA and is highly transferable. We can find few Africans and Native Americans with this haplogroup too. It is not going to tell you your exact origin, just approximation.

Sparky can only give you most frequent places of your y haplogroup current geographical presence. Otherwise Y chromosome contains only 2% of your DNA and is highly transferable. We can find few Africans and Native Americans with this haplogroup too. It is not going to tell you your exact origin, just approximation.

Some people don't understand that Y DNA haplogroups are simply your paternal lineage, so the ethnic group it originated in might only represent as little as 0.0000000000000000000000000001% of your total ancestry.

sorry for really late reply but that makes more sense fire haired14. would it be easier if i posted a picture of him and give me your answers?

This thread has been viewed 15920 times.

Back