Alans(with Catacomb burial ritual) from River Don 8-th century 6 had haplogroup G2

Robert6

Reaction score
Alans(with Catacomb burial ritual) from River Don 8-th century 6 had haplogroup G2
https://www.academia.edu/7061155/_._._._._._._._._._._._._2014._._312-315

I did my best with translation of the part of the text, but I don't know if it is good enough

For the analysis of Alanic paleo-DNA at the level of
haplogroups (laboratory work was performed by VV
Ilyinsky)
were selected 12 samples of human teeth and bone fragments from the catacomb burials.
(Ten from the excavations of VS Aksenov in Verhnesaltovskiy IV burial and two from the excavations of VA Sarapulkin in Dmitrov burial).

For the investigation of the male line was carried out by analysis of 23 microsatellite loci (STR) of Y-chromosome of man. Definition of haplogroup of the female line was carried out by the study of mtDNA hypervariable regions. The task was to identify the nucleotide sequences of the hypervariable regions HVS-1, HVS-2, HVS -3 of mtDNA with subsequent determination of haplogroup of individuals and predictions of migration routes. As a result, in the 6 samples was found haplogroup G2 and 6 samples - mtDNA haplogroup I.

In the North Caucasus, the territory of which
is related to its origin the Don Alans, G2 occur in the form of two branches G2a1 (among Ossetians) and G2a3 (among Adyghes). G2a little occurs in Karachai and Balkars, as well as the Ingush and Chechens.
Solving the problem of Alanian DNA is closely associated with the study of the role of Alans and Caucasian substrate in the formation of the Ossetian people, now takes on a more distinct shape. We got a first and very promising data on Alanian DNA of Khasar period.
Required deep research in the field of paleo-DNA at the level of subclades not only of Alanic material
of Khazar period and pre-Khasar period, but the study of paleo-DNA of carriers of Beneath-barrow(UnderKurgan type, Khazarian type) and of Yamna(Pit type, Bulgar type)
burial rituals in the teritory of Khazar Khaganat, as well as simultaneous and preceding to them of Central-Caucasian substratum, that practiced burials in stone boxes, in underground and in above-ground tombs. Then it will become clear whether the male G2 of the Don Alans is the heritage
of Sarmats, of Kangiuys, or a contribution of the Central Caucasian substratum.

Last edited:
And 6 had mtdna I

Google translation:
3) To analyze Alanian paleo-DNA haplogroup level (laboratory work performed Iljinsky VV) were selected, 12 samples of human teeth and bone fragments from the catacomb burial. Investigation of the male line was carried out by analyzing 23 microsatellite loci (STR) Y-chromosome of man. Definition haplogroup female line was carried out the study of mtDNA hypervariable regions. The task was to identify the nucleotide sequences of the hypervariable regions HVS-1, HVS-2, HVS -3 mtDNA haplogroup, with subsequent determination of individuals and the predictions of migration routes. As a result, in the 6 samples was found haplogroup G2 and 6 samples - female haplogroup I.
Scientists note that the North Caucasus, which are connected with the territory of their origin Don Alans, G2 occur as the two branches of the Ossetians (G2a1) and the Circassians (G2a3). G2a little occurs in Karachai and Balkars, as well as the Ingush and Chechens. The researchers write, and I quote: "The issue is Alan DNA is closely associated with the study of the role of Alan and Caucasian substrate in the formation of the Ossetian people, now takes on a more distinct shape. We got a first and very promising data about Alan DNA Khazar time." It is further noted that the need for a thorough research in the field paleoDNK level subclades not only Alanian material Khazar and predhazarskogo time, but the study of paleo-DNA carriers barrows and burial rites yamnogo on the territory of the Khazar Khanate as well as simultaneous and preceding them centrally-Caucasian substratum, practiced burial in stone boxes, underground and above-ground tombs. Then it can be ascertained whether the men G2 the Don Alan Sarmatian heritage, kangyuytsev or a contribution to the Central Caucasian substratum ..

How old are the corpses?

It is 8-th century from Don - Seversky Donets regions

I did my best with translation of the part of the text, but I don't know if it is good enough

For the analysis of Alanic paleo-DNA at the level of
haplogroups (laboratory work was performed by VV
Ilyinsky)
were selected 12 samples of human teeth and bone fragments from the catacomb burials.
(Ten from the excavations of VS Aksenov in Verhnesaltovskiy IV burial and two from the excavations of VA Sarapulkin in Dmitrov burial).

For the investigation of the male line was carried out by analysis of 23 microsatellite loci (STR) of Y-chromosome of man. Definition of haplogroup of the female line was carried out by the study of mtDNA hypervariable regions. The task was to identify the nucleotide sequences of the hypervariable regions HVS-1, HVS-2, HVS -3 of mtDNA with subsequent determination of haplogroup of individuals and predictions of migration routes. As a result, in the 6 samples was found haplogroup G2 and 6 samples - mtDNA haplogroup I.

In the North Caucasus, the territory of which
is related to its origin the Don Alans, G2 occur in the form of two branches G2a1 (among Ossetians) and G2a3 (among Adyghes). G2a little occurs in Karachai and Balkars, as well as the Ingush and Chechens.
Solving the problem of Alanian DNA is closely associated with the study of the role of Alans and Caucasian substrate in the formation of the Ossetian people, now takes on a more distinct shape. We got a first and very promising data on Alanian DNA of Khasar period.
Required deep research in the field of paleo-DNA at the level of subclades not only of Alanic material
of Khazar period and pre-Khasar period, but the study of paleo-DNA of carriers of Beneath-barrow(UnderKurgan type, Khazarian type) and of Yamna(Pit type, Bulgar type)
burial rituals in the teritory of Khazar Khaganat, as well as simultaneous and preceding to them of Central-Caucasian substratum, that practiced burials in stone boxes, in underground and in above-ground tombs. Then it will become clear whether the male G2 of the Don Alans is the heritage
of Sarmats, of Kangiuys, or a contribution of the Central Caucasian substratum.

Thanks Robert6. The results are surprisingly uniform. All belonging to same haplogroup G2 and mtDNA I. They must have come from very secluded place in Caucasus. It is interesting how they managed to get Iranaisd (if there is such word) without mixing with other IE haplogroups?
I would prefer if they analyzed DNA to deeper subclades, or autosomal distances. We could be in a position to find their closest cousins in today's populations.
Nevertheless, a great find, thanks.

But which are IE Haplogroups?

R1a-Z93 where in South Asia before the proto-Indo-Iranians

http://i023.radikal.ru/1407/59/cd24245b498a.png
Around the Dnieper river, L. Kleijn place the proto-Indo-Aryans
http://www.egyptologie.be/decan_college_43_1984p57_aryans_kleijn.htm
Ukrainians (Hmelnitsk) 0% R1a-Z93 из 179
Ukrainians (Cherkassy) 0% R1a-Z93 из 114
Ukrainians (Belgorod) 0% R1a-Z93 из 56
http://dienekes.blogspot.gr/2014/03/major-new-article-on-deep-origins-of-y.html

I think Z93 were the proto II, which spread almost 3 thousand years ago in Asia before Alans existed. If Alans spoke Iranian language, lack of Z93 or some R1a and R1b in a mix is very surprising.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/29705-Corded-Ware-Iranic-Aryan-split-of-IE

Thanks for posting this, Robert6.

Tthe uniformity of the paternal and maternal haplogroups could indicate that all the individuals are related - perhaps 6 brothers.

G2 is not surprising for Alanic people. I hypothesized several years ago that the Alans could have brought some G2a1 lineages into Europe, based on the fact that the Ossetians (descendants of the Kingdom of Alania) carry a lot of G2a1. I have since changed my mind and believe that the original Central Asian Alans were primarily R1a people who also carried haplogroups from various assimilated Central Asian people such as G2a3b1, J2, Q and R1b. The Alans would have mixed with the native G2a1 people when they settled in the central Caucasus.

Since the samples come from the Don region, G2a3b1 is in fact more likely than G2a1, as the Kuban is a hotspot for G2a3b1. Central Asian G2 is also essentially the Indo-European G2a3b1.

Tthe uniformity of the paternal and maternal haplogroups could indicate that all the individuals are related - perhaps 6 brothers.

G2 is not surprising for Alanic people. I hypothesized several years ago that the Alans could have brought some G2a1 lineages into Europe, based on the fact that the Ossetians (descendants of the Kingdom of Alania) carry a lot of G2a1. I have since changed my mind and believe that the original Central Asian Alans were primarily R1a people who also carried haplogroups from various assimilated Central Asian people such as G2a3b1, J2, Q and R1b. The Alans would have mixed with the native G2a1 people when they settled in the central Caucasus.

Since the samples come from the Don region, G2a3b1 is in fact more likely than G2a1, as the Kuban is a hotspot for G2a3b1. Central Asian G2 is also essentially the Indo-European G2a3b1.

http://www.blutspendezurich.ch/Medi...h resolution mapping of Y haplogroup G(2).pdf

G2a3b1 ( L497 ) is an Austrian marker as per this rootsi paper ..............it is 80% of Austria

They were from two different places
Verhnesaltovsky IV burial of 10 samples (only in 7 out of 10 were found fragments of DNA) detected in four Y-dna G2 and six mtdna I
Dmitrov burial two samples, both had Y-dna G2, with no result for mtdna

Last edited:

But there is no Central Asian subclades of haplogroup R1a in North Caucasus.
And North Caucasian R1a subclades Z2122+ , Z2123+, Y23592+ isn't yet found in Central Asia.

And you can find G2a1a1 Z6638 in Central Asia very close to Caucasian G2a1a1

221740 Khalilov Abdulkhalil Uzoqbek 19c. Uzbekistan G-M201 14 22 15 10 15-16 10 12 12 12 10 29 17 9-9 10 11 25 16 21 30 13-13-14-14 10 10 20-21 15 15 16 17 36-37 11 10 11 8 15-16 8 11 10 8 12 9 12 21-22 14 10 12 12 15 8 14 24 22 16 13 11 14 10 11 11 13
320827 Ravshanov Qirq Adilbay 1850 from Trukish tribe named Qirq Uzbekistan G-M201 14 22 15 10 15-17 11 12 11 12 10 29 17 9-9 11 11 24 16 21 30 12-13-14-14 10 10 20-21 16 15 15 20 36-38 11 10 11 8 15-16 8 11 10 8 12 10 12 21-22 14 10 12 12 15 8 13 22 22 16 14 11 13 10 11 11 13
184836 Ruslan Uzbekistan G-M201 14 22 15 10 16-17 11 12 12 12 10 28 16 9-9 11 11 24 16 21 28 13-13-14-15 10 10 20-21 15 15 15 19 38-44 11 11 11 8 15-16 8 11 10 8 12 11 12 21-22 14 10 12 12 16 8 13 21 22 17 13 11 13 10 11 11 13

While R1a in Georgia(South Caucasus) mostly are relict unrelated branches of paragroup Z93+ and Z94-
So paragroup R1a-Z93*(R1a-Z93* Z93+ and Z94- but not tested for Z95) is possibly autochthonous to South Caucasus.

R1b-2103 branches are found in Osset/Alan region-R1b-L277+,R1b-L584+, and R1b-7822+. 1 Digor Ossetian[R1b1a2a2 Z2105+ CTS9219+] has already tested positive.

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Ossetian/default.aspx?section=yresults

I have since changed my mind and believe that the original Central Asian Alans were primarily R1a people who also carried haplogroups from various assimilated Central Asian people such as G2a3b1, J2, Q and R1b. The Alans would have mixed with the native G2a1 people when they settled in the central Caucasus.
If Alans had even some R1a in them, that (East Iranized) R1a would also be NATIVE to Central Asia. VERY different to the European types.

R1b-2103 branches are found in Osset/Alan region-R1b-L277+,R1b-L584+, and R1b-7822+. 1 Digor Ossetian[R1b1a2a2 Z2105+ CTS9219+] has already tested positive.

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Ossetian/default.aspx?section=yresults
Ossetian subclade of R1b1a2a2 CTS9219+, connected to Avars.
In South Ossetia
Bibil(Bibilyaur Bibilti) and some others "are the best of Avars" according to Georgian chronicles
Bibilti is R1b1a2a2 CTS9219.

In North Ossetia
Badil (Badilyata) was Madzhar or Avar or came from the city named Madzhar
Kubatiev is Badilyat, and R1b1a2a2 CTS9219.

If Alans had even some R1a in them, that (East Iranized) R1a would also be NATIVE to Central Asia. VERY different to the European types.
And yet there is no R1a of Central Asian subclade in North Caucasus

This thread has been viewed 43637 times.

Back