Albanian Tribe and Clan (Fis) Y-DNA

Skerdilaidas....

is there any chance we can gather all those tested from familytreedna.com here?

I would be interested to conduct a research paper in regards to y dna of Albanian speaking regions.

What do you mean by "gather them here"? The member kuqezi is actually the moderator for the Albanian project at ftDNA, so he most likely can help with data. So far though on the OP link, we have only listed people that can confirm their Clan, but that could change in the future for instance on a bigger or whole Albanian project. Also, not all the examples were actually tested from ftDNA either, some are from 23andme and National Geographic.

That is actually what we are attempting to accomplish, but it might take a while since not many Albanians seem to interested on genetics.

Thanks for sharing this, i think https://www.familytreedna.com/ might be better (not so certain though), a buddy Maleth from Malta who is E-V13 strangely discovered through his surname that it came from Germanic region, but not to confuse this as he also noted that before E-V13 went to Germany it might have migrated from the south east Balkans were E-V13 is considered to have its roots for at least 7,000 years.

here is his explanation....http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/25936-Hitler-belonged-to-Near-Eastern-Y-haplogroup-E1b1b/page2

Yes i was born in the city of Prishtina itself, but my father was born in Prizren. Dont know about the clan, pretty embarrassing though, but i will ask from my father....

the map showed does not look promising, spcially if we are talking about dna..... british isles are R1b same as basques and most France and Spain, Russia is R1a, pretty inaccurate for Italian peninsula taking the 20% European...they should take into account E-V13 which is much older than R1b in british Isles, R1b migrated there from area of todays Georgia and far north east todays Turkey to brtish isles around 4,000 years ago. And therefore Italian dna is pretty much mixed with r1b, I, and E-V13 (lowest percentages) which is found more on the very south and argued that it migrated there from south east Balkans.

No problem. Yeah I agree, ftDNA is the best option, specifically if you want to trace your y-dna further down. However, for how much tribecode is charging, and if they turn out to be a lot more accurate then 23andme with their advanced technology (which most likely are), are certainly worth it.

The map I linked is just a sample of what your autosomal dna looks like at tribecode, so not really connected to y-dna's. The fella in that map most likely is somewhere from South America.

R1b in Albania is from the Illyrians and linked to the steppe before arriving in central-East Europe during the metal ages. These men likely brought their version of IE language along with them. While E-V13 is the dominant haplogroup among men in the Balkans, there is no way in hell these individuals spoke PIE in any form.

Bold statements eh? But likely true.

R1b in Albania is from the Illyrians and linked to the steppe before arriving in central-East Europe during the metal ages. These men likely brought their version of IE language along with them. While E-V13 is the dominant haplogroup among men in the Balkans, there is no way in hell these individuals spoke PIE in any form.

Yeah most likely true. But Illyrians too were probably more diverse in y-dna, rather then just R1b. Illyrians settled in Central Europe for bit before they descended down into Balkans, so they most definitely had R1b (that was re-enforced in Balkans) but also some clades of I.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "gather them here"? The member kuqezi is actually the moderator for the Albanian project at ftDNA, so he most likely can help with data. So far though on the OP link, we have only listed people that can confirm their Clan, but that could change in the future for instance on a bigger or whole Albanian project. Also, not all the examples were actually tested from ftDNA either, some are from 23andme and National Geographic.

That is actually what we are attempting to accomplish, but it might take a while since not many Albanians seem to interested on genetics.

There are couple of scientific papers done and therefore it came up with the table i have showed in regards to dna by ethnicity.

I meant how can we find all those Albanians from those scientific papers and familytreedna and 23andme, and have all their details described here, like their region or their Clan....then when more people would join we might have a much bigger sample, and therefore i can start conducting a new research papers.

if you go to this website below you will find samples from Albanians and the research papers...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-DNA_haplogroups_by_ethnic_group#cite_note-Battaglia2008-9

one is Bataglia 2008, Pericic 2005, etc...

This clan business is interesting. Any one has some kind of detailed history of how these clans came to be? Are they created in recent history or there is a possibility much older then that? If people were already mixed in ancient times the probability is that these clans would be pretty mixed too, but only a proper DNA study can determine that. Example there were many misconceptions with some racial separation between Christian and Muslim Lebanese or some kind of Racial purity within Jews. Dna testing seem to have busted these conceptions.

Why do you considered your statement bold? It is an open possibly like so many others nothing controversial about that in my opinion. In relation to language it all depends were E-V13 was mutated and what the first person spoke within his group. It could have been easily mixed with G's and J's. from its conception. But does anyone know for sure?

This clan business is interesting. Any one has some kind of detailed history of how these clans came to be? Are they created in recent history or there is a possibility much older then that? If people were already mixed in ancient times the probability is that these clans would be pretty mixed too, but only a proper DNA study can determine that. Example there were many misconceptions with some racial separation between Christian and Muslim Lebanese or some kind of Racial purity within Jews. Dna testing seem to have busted these conceptions.
Albanians have had Clans since we were first recorded in history. In South Albania they were known as "Fara" (meaning seed), and in North as "Fis" (meaning Clan). However, the Clans we have listed in this project are from North Albania, because they are the only ones that have preserved their traditions until today. They were first recorded during early middle ages, so we assume that is when they were actually formed too, and latter grew bigger to counter the Ottoman dominance on the rural areas, and also for protection (strictly they were warlike Clans, which were also famous as mercenaries).

Considering that these Clans were based on blood related families only through the male line and were exogamous, meaning they only took brides from other Clans that they had no blood relations, theoretically each should be of one y-dna. There were instances though of Brotherhoods, meaning male ancestors joined the Clans, and some of the Clans that have such traditions would obviously be more diverse on y-dna. So far only four y-dna we have on all these Clans, and E-V13 is dominating along with R1b, then J2b, so quite compact I would say. Blood relations were passed down orally by the elders, and their councils.

They were all Catholic during middle ages, but some fractions converted to Orthodoxy, and later quite a bit of these Clans also converted to Islam, but their core in North Albania is still Catholic. These Clans followed/obeyed what we call in Albanian "Kanun". Kanun simply used to be our bible and kuran, so religion basically meant nothing to these Clans (just an outside influence). There is quite a bit of material on them, but unfortunately not very much on English.

Last edited:
Albanians have had Clans since we were first recorded in history. In South Albania they were known as "Fara" (meaning seed), and in North as "Fis" (meaning Clan). However, the Clans we have listed in this project are from North Albania, because they are the only ones that have preserved their traditions until today. They were first recorded during early middle ages, so we assume that is when they were actually formed too, to counter the Ottoman dominance on the rural areas, and also for protection (strictly they were warlike Clans, which were also famous as mercenaries).

Considering that these Clans were based on blood related families only through the male line and were exogamous, meaning they only tool brides from other Clans that they had no blood relations, theoretically they should all be of one y-dna. There were instances though of Brotherhoods, meaning male ancestors joined the Clans, and some of the Clans that have such traditions would obviously be more diverse on y-dna. So far only four y-dna we have on all these Clans, and E-V13 is dominating along with R1b, then J2b, so quite compact I would say. Blood relations were passed down orally by the elders, and their councils.

They were all Catholic during middle ages, but some fractions converted to Orthodoxy, and later quite a bit of these Clans also converted to Islam, but their core in North Albania is still Catholic. These Clans followed/obeyed what we call in Albanian "Kanun". Kanun simply used to be our bible and kuran, so religion basically meant nothing to these Clans (just an outside influence). There is quite a bit of material on them, but unfortunate not very much on English.

Thanks for info Skerdilaidas. Thats very interesting. I guess my roots are there somewhere or in Greece, Who knows what era it was 7000 years (probably more) is a long time to put a clear picture together :cool-v:

Hi everyone. I am Albanian from the Kercova area (Western Macedonia). I recently tested as J2B2* on 23andme.com. My family (fis) roots are in the Kercova area for as long as anyone remembers. I ordered a y-dna 37 marker from FTDNA, and am looking forward to contributing to the FTDNA Albanian project. I haven't heard of anyone from my area doing this test that I know of, so it will be interesting to see if there is any connection between my J2B2 and the ones in Albania and Kosova. What do u guys think?

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I am from the Kercova area (Western Macedonia). I recently tested as J2B2* on 23andme.com. My family (fis) roots are in the Kercova area for as long as anyone remembers. I ordered a y-dna 37 marker from FTDNA, and am looking forward to contributing to the FTDNA Albanian project. I haven't heard of anyone from my area doing this test that I know of, so it will be interesting to see if there is any connection between my J2B2 and the ones in Albania and Kosova. What do u guys think?

Welcome

I think its a good Idea

how come the albanians have the third highest internet usage of members in all major genetic forums?................does everyone in Albania get free internet?

Welcome

I think its a good Idea

how come the albanians have the third highest internet usage of members in all major genetic forums?................does everyone in Albania get free internet?
Thank you.
I live in the US. I doubt they get free internet in Albania proper. But maybe it's because through DNA and genetics, we can prove to the world that we really are autochthonous, that's if there is any doubts lol...

Hi everyone. I am Albanian from the Kercova area (Western Macedonia). I recently tested as J2B2* on 23andme.com. My family (fis) roots are in the Kercova area for as long as anyone remembers. I ordered a y-dna 37 marker from FTDNA, and am looking forward to contributing to the FTDNA Albanian project. I haven't heard of anyone from my area doing this test that I know of, so it will be interesting to see if there is any connection between my J2B2 and the ones in Albania and Kosova. What do u guys think?
Welcome, and congrats on your results! After you get your results at ftdna, please join the Albanian project there. Also, I will send you my user name at 23andme.com via pm, so please add me.

Hi everyone, I am albanian from Dinosha ( near Tuzi or grude) Montenegro. I just did the 23andme test and my Ydna haplogroup is E1b1b1a2. My father says his family comes from the trijshi tribe up in the mountains of Montenegro, a town called Ledina. My maternal line came out D4J, which i found interesting. she is of the Nikovic/nikaj clan.

This is the official Albanian project at FTDNA for all Albanians. Our Clan Y-DNA results are in this project as well: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/albanian-bloodlines/about

If any moderators can update the link at the beginning of this thread with this one, please do so, since the other link is missing the Clan Y-DNA results relevant to this thread.

Also if any Albanians are thinking about testing their Y-DNA, please refer to to the above link for information and contribute to our project by testing with FTDNA.

J2b2 krasniqi. The legend is true.

YDNA: R1a1a, Dibra Clan, specifically Martanesh. Surname Koci. Originally from Mirdita. Original surname Pershpalaj.

MTDNA: H11a, Puka Malsi, surname Shpata, mothers line traces to Gjon Buas Shpata in Cameria.

I plan on doing a deeper ydna ftdna once i can afford it to contribute to the albanian ftdna.

This thread has been viewed 63418 times.

Back