Albanian Tribe and Clan (Fis) Y-DNA

Hi Dibra,

I had a chance to look a bit into Preshpalaj, and there is such a family in Spaç, though, they are not related to Spaçi tribe - who are predominantly J2b2-PH1751. They came to Spaç from Kalaj of Kthelle e Eperme.

Hi Leka. My father isn't certain if we were originally Pershpalaj or if a Pershpalaj woman married into the Koci and it got lost in translation.

I spoke to a Albanian guy who has been to orosh in mirdita where the Pershpalaj are predominantly located.

If there is any truth to the oral history, he claims the Pershpalaj descended from a Condottieri named Paul from the Apennines of Italy. He was supposedly hired by Skanderbeg in the 1400s and brought to Albania to fight the Ottomans where he would eventually settle in Mirdita.

I am doing full genomes. So, time will tell if this story holds any merit.

Hi Dibra,

I had a chance to look a bit into Preshpalaj, and there is such a family in Spaç, though, they are not related to Spaçi tribe - who are predominantly J2b2-PH1751. They came to Spaç from Kalaj of Kthelle e Eperme.

I forgot to ask. Forgot about this post. Do you per chance have a way to get into contact with these Pershpalaj in Spac? I would very much like to test them and happily donate towards that end.

Sadly all the Pershpalaj I contacted never responded. The one that did was not comfortable with DNA testing.

I forgot to ask. Forgot about this post. Do you per chance have a way to get into contact with these Pershpalaj in Spac? I would very much like to test them and happily donate towards that end.

Sadly all the Pershpalaj I contacted never responded. The one that did was not comfortable with DNA testing.
Unfortunately I don’t. I ran into that info while reading some ethnographic literature (can’t remember the source at the moment, but I think it might be one of Mark Tirta’s articles/books).

Unfortunately I don’t. I ran into that info while reading some ethnographic literature (can’t remember the source at the moment, but I think it might be one of Mark Tirta’s articles/books).

Ok thanks. Sadly none of the ones I reached out to have been responsive. Perhaps one will eventually test on their own.

Замолио бих модераторе да одобре мој претходни коментар на ову тему.

Hi! I am from the village of Sllatina near Vushtrri. I'm a Serb by nationality. My ancestors moved to Sllatina in 1865 from Drenica, from the village Kërlligatë. In Kërligate we moved from the surrounding area of ​​Peje. According to one tradition, we moved to Kosovo from Moraca, but genetics disputed this tradition. According to another tradition, we were Albanians catholic, but we have switched to orthodoxy. Our current surname is Janiqijeviq/Janićijević, and our old surname is Çubrk-Çubruk. We had relatives in villages: Stërnac i Poshtëm and Çubrel. Our relatives from Çubrel moved to the village of Tupalle near Medvegja in 1878 because of the blood feud, their old surname is Qubrak.

I am currently investigating from which tribe/fis my ancestors come. What I managed to find out is that entire northwest Drenica is inhabited exclusively by Albanians from a clan Gashi. Albanians from the Gashi clan live exclusively in the villages: Radishevë, Stërnac i Poshtëm, Kotorr, Kuqicë, Klinë e Epërme, Klinë e Mesme, Klinë e Poshtme, Çubrel, Vitak, Klladërnicë, Lubavec, Kosterc. These first four villages are right next to the village of Kërlligatë and practically surround this village.

A few months ago, I did a test on 37 markers. According to the obtained results, i am belong to haplogroup R1b>L23>Z2103>CTS9219>BY611>Z2705*. On the recommendation of the administrators of the Albanian and Serbian DNA Project I ordered the SNP test Y32147,but unfortunately it was discovered that I did not belong to that branch. I'm currently waiting for someone to appear with whom I will have a close match.

Hi! I am from the village of Sllatina near Vushtrri. I'm a Serb by nationality. My ancestors moved to Sllatina in 1865 from Drenica, from the village Kërlligatë. In Kërligate we moved from the surrounding area of ​​Peje. According to one tradition, we moved to Kosovo from Moraca, but genetics disputed this tradition. According to another tradition, we were Albanians catholic, but we have switched to orthodoxy. Our current surname is Janiqijeviq/Janićijević, and our old surname is Çubrk-Çubruk. We had relatives in villages: Stërnac i Poshtëm and Çubrel. Our relatives from Çubrel moved to the village of Tupalle near Medvegja in 1878 because of the blood feud, their old surname is Qubrak.

I am currently investigating from which tribe/fis my ancestors come. What I managed to find out is that entire northwest Drenica is inhabited exclusively by Albanians from a clan Gashi. Albanians from the Gashi clan live exclusively in the villages: Radishevë, Stërnac i Poshtëm, Kotorr, Kuqicë, Klinë e Epërme, Klinë e Mesme, Klinë e Poshtme, Çubrel, Vitak, Klladërnicë, Lubavec, Kosterc. These first four villages are right next to the village of Kërlligatë and practically surround this village.

A few months ago, I did a test on 37 markers. According to the obtained results, i am belong to haplogroup R1b>L23>Z2103>CTS9219>BY611>Z2705*. On the recommendation of the administrators of the Albanian and Serbian DNA Project I ordered the SNP test Y32147,but unfortunately it was discovered that I did not belong to that branch. I'm currently waiting for someone to appear with whom I will have a close match.

The admins of Albanian bloodlines would be better able to further assist you. I think its certain however that you at least have distant Proto-Albanian origin given this clade BY611 is almost a tell tale sign of Albanian origin. How recent that is would depend on what matches you have. You should test bigy at FTDNA. Perhaps you form a founder effect.

Interesting, I belong to the same line but positive of Y32147.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

Interesting, I belong to the same line but positive of Y32147.
From which tribe/fis are you? R1b-Z2705 is present with almost every Albanian tribe. Even one Gashi belongs to the Z2705 branch, but for him it is assumed that Y32147. To confirm that we are from the fis Gashi, it is necessary to appear some Gashi with which I will have a complete match. In August i will most likely order a BigY test to see if i will form a branch on Yfull and i hope it will help. Soon, more and more Albanians, Serbs, Bosniaks who are the Z2705 will appear on the Yfull tree.

I forgot to write that we have Albanian relatives in the village Vesekovci near Vushtrri. Their surname is Parduzi and they are muslims.

I have talked to Beki, my respects for this young fellow. I have looked at his results and we have discussed it. Deal with R1b-Y33200* is that it has high presence at all Albanian lands and a somewhat low TMRCA, therefore it is very tightly connected with Albanians. I would say it is one of ancient Illyrian lines that had a "luck" to expand in last 1000-1500 years after severe bottleneck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Yes, the Z2705 is present in almost every Albanian region and tribe. I'm new to this and Dema knows that and just recently I realized what are markers, SNP etc... Z2705 belongs to more than 300 tested people, but a small percentage of them did the BigY test. This month, two new people Z2705* appeared on the Yfull tree, but a new branch has not yet been formed.

I have the most matches with the Bytyqi GD= 32/37. This means that our common ancestor lived us about 700 years ago.

It is believed that there are thirteen main tribes in Dukagjin (Metohija) and Kosovo, while others are considered secondary or not yet formed tribal organizations. These are the tribes:

Review of the origin of the Albanian population (with number of homes) according to tribes in Drenica according to data from 1935.

Gashi772 homes
Shala266 homes
Berisha265 homes
Elshani180 homes
Hoti179 homes
Morina-Mzez166 homes
Kuçi of Berisha142 homes
Krasniqi128 homes
Kastrati114 homes
Bytyqi100 homes
Thaçi56 homes
Kelmendi30 homes
Zog25 homes
Kabashi7 homes

The most numerous tribe in Drenica was Gashi with 772 houses. Migration Gashi from Albania to Drenica was from the beginning of the 17th century until the 1830s.

Last edited:
I have the most matches with the Bytyqi GD= 32/37. This means that our common ancestor lived us about 700 years ago.

That does not mean much. Many R-Z2705 haplotypes are within GD=1-5 and their TMRCA lived around 1500 ybp. GD=5 is not low for this clade.

That does not mean much. Many R-Z2705 haplotypes are within GD=1-5 and their TMRCA lived around 1500 ybp. GD=5 is not low for this clade.
Beki tested as Y32147 negative. Due to his unique CDY value he is most likely Y33200* and brother clade to all others under Y33200.

He shares TMRCA 1500 years with all under Y33200 but he has no close matches, most likely isolated branch formed 1500 years ago. He has high chance to find closer match in future, we will see.

He will most likely be in this group as all of these samples below which are smaller brother clades to R1b-Y32147 https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-Z2705*/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Another piece of evidence that confirms the tradition that we are originally catholic Albanians. According to papal and ottoman sources, Kerlligate (in latin Cherligata) and the other 18 villages in Drenica were mostly inhabited by catholic Albanians. Among those catholic villages is the village of Cubrelj, where we had relatives, their old last name was Qubrak-u.
https://www.koha.net/arberi/8064/pikepamja-qe-shemb-historiografine-serbe-per-strukturen-fetare-te-drenices-gjate-shekullit-xviii/
Map of Drenica

I ordered a WGS test through Dante Labs, we will soon find out what branch my family belongs to.

Spaç

Hey guys, new here. I saw Spaç mentioned here and figured maybe someone could help me out. My family supposedly has roots in Gurth Spaç and is Spaç by tribe. This seems to be supported in that I'm J-Y85522. We changed our last name upon moving to Kosovë around the 1860s. Supposedly our last name back home was Mrnacaj or something similar to that. Anyone happen to know if thats a known surname in/around Gurth Spaç?

Is the haplogroup I-Z17855 linked to any Fis? I saw online that there's a Kelmend from Gjakova who has that haplogroup.

Is the haplogroup I-Z17855 linked to any Fis? I saw online that there's a Kelmend from Gjakova who has that haplogroup.
He is not Kelmend, he is from Đakovica and is of Serbian paternal ancestry (belongs to haplogroup I2-Z17855>A16413>A20030>Y135654).

Do you know that guy? Because rrenjet wouldn't label him a Kelmend for no reason. I hardly believe he's Serbian. I also have that haplogroup and am not.

This thread has been viewed 63423 times.

Back