Politics Scottish independence referendum - your opinions and comments on this matter

Poor Garrick, unable to cope with the reality.

Only real. I love Scots but UK is better choice than independence, and they vote mostly No.

Maybe you don't know for term "frozen conflict". You can see what it means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_conflict

This thread is about Scotland so I am not going to continue this discussion further with you Garrick.

This thread is about Scotland so I am not going to continue this discussion further with you Garrick.

I wrote about Scotland and beyond. My opinion is that Europe does not need new small states and that all problems can be solved in a democratic way.

I wrote about Scotland and beyond. My opinion is that Europe does not need new small states and that all problems can be solved in a democratic way.
Yeah, and you speak in the name of the whole Europe and represent all these nations that are part of it. The nerve!

Yeah, and you speak in the name of the whole Europe and repersent all these nations that are part of it. The nerve!

No, you do not read carefully, I give my opinion. You can give your opinion. Everyone gives her or his opinion, it is democracy. If you like support separatism you can write about it how much you want.

When a group or a person uses the expression "Separatism" instead of the "right for self-determination" is just for covering their chauvinism. It shows lack of democratic values and especially shows the lack of respect when a group or a person simply does not want to be with them anymore.

When a group or a person uses the expression "Separatism" instead of the "right for self-determination" is just for covering their chauvinism. It shows lack of democratic values and especially shows the lack of respect when a group or a person simply does not want to be with them anymore.

I can agree with you, partly. Independent, independence or movement for independence is maybe finer then separatism, but separatism is correct term and it does not talk about chauvinism. Chauvinism is something completely different than separatism.

But "right for self-determination" is very hard and precise term, and this term is best avoided in these discussions. Who has the right and power from us to say that some nation in the world (there are hundreds of nations who seek independence in the world) have the right to self determination. It is not lack of respect or democratic values but legal and political issue. States, Unions, United Nations make decision about that.

This thread has been viewed 19224 times.

Back