Traditional music Folk Songs of the British Isles

Angela,check post no.14. I put a video there rather than have empty space..tidier.

Angela,check post no.14. I put a video there rather than have empty space..tidier.

I can't say that would be one of my favorites, but I think part of it is that I'm put off by the arrangement and/or the presentation. For the really old ones, the simpler the better for me.

I don't know if it's traditional or not, but when I heard Kate Winslet sing this snippet from "The Lark in the Clear Air", I was touched by it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-9Xh8_0bfk

I remember I tried to find the whole song on youtube, but didn't like any of the performances. I just looked again, and I still don't like the vocal performances, but this instrumental version is nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK5bONcTvrE

I love lullabys, and this one is very well known here. I don't know how traditional it is, but I've always thought it's a very lovely song. This is the Bing Crosby version. Not Irish I know, but he has such a wonderful voice. (Yes, he was way before my time!
smile.gif
)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw9B49epS_M

Oh, I liked the Roger the Miller song, too. I like funny as well as sentimental. A girl after my own heart...there are plenty of young men in this town...now you have neither girl nor mare!
grin.png

Such a pity there isn't a section for New World stuff. I love, love, love American folk songs.

A fine piece of music IMO and this is a nice version of it.....
Composed by Dougie MacLean..."The Gael"

• A traditional Scottish song from the 19th century entitled "Erin-go-Bragh" tells the story of a Highland Scot who is mistaken for an Irishman. The first two verses[10] are:
    My name's Duncan Campbell from the shire of Argyll I've travelled this country for many's the mileI've travelled through Ireland, Scotland and a'And the name I go under's bold Erin-go-braghOne night in Auld Reekie as I walked down the streetA saucy big polis I chanced for to meetHe glowered in my face and he gi'ed me some jawSayin' "When cam' ye over, bold Erin-go-bragh?"

_____

Ed Sheeran performing The Parting Glass Very nice
"The Parting Glass" is a Scottish and Irish traditional song, often sung at the end of a gathering of friends. It was purportedly the most popular parting song sung in Scotlandbefore Robert Burns wrote "Auld Lang Syne"
The earliest known printed version was as a broadside in the 1770s and it first appeared in book form in "Scots Songs" by Herd.[1] An early version is sometimes attributed to Sir Alex Boswell. The text is doubtless older than its 1770 appearance in broadside, as it was recorded in the Skene Manuscript, a collection of Scottish airs written at various dates between 1615 and 1635.[2] It was known at least as early as 1605, when a portion of the first stanza was written in a farewell letter, as a poem now known as "Armstrong's Goodnight", by one of the Border Reivers executed that year for the murder in 1600 of Sir John Carmichael, Warden of the Scottish West March.[3]

• A traditional Scottish song from the 19th century entitled "Erin-go-Bragh" tells the story of a Highland Scot who is mistaken for an Irishman. The first two verses[10] are:
    My name's Duncan Campbell from the shire of Argyll I've travelled this country for many's the mileI've travelled through Ireland, Scotland and a'And the name I go under's bold Erin-go-braghOne night in Auld Reekie as I walked down the streetA saucy big polis I chanced for to meetHe glowered in my face and he gi'ed me some jawSayin' "When cam' ye over, bold Erin-go-bragh?"

_____

Ed Sheeran performing The Parting Glass Very nice
"The Parting Glass" is a Scottish and Irish traditional song, often sung at the end of a gathering of friends. It was purportedly the most popular parting song sung in Scotlandbefore Robert Burns wrote "Auld Lang Syne"
The earliest known printed version was as a broadside in the 1770s and it first appeared in book form in "Scots Songs" by Herd.[1] An early version is sometimes attributed to Sir Alex Boswell. The text is doubtless older than its 1770 appearance in broadside, as it was recorded in the Skene Manuscript, a collection of Scottish airs written at various dates between 1615 and 1635.[2] It was known at least as early as 1605, when a portion of the first stanza was written in a farewell letter, as a poem now known as "Armstrong's Goodnight", by one of the Border Reivers executed that year for the murder in 1600 of Sir John Carmichael, Warden of the Scottish West March.[3]

Very nice. As I mentioned upthread, I think, I'm very fond of these songs, partly, no doubt, because they're in the repertoire of American high schools for voice competitions. I sang then and then my daughter did as well.

This is a very nice collection of them that I own.
http://www.discogs.com/The-Kings-Singers-Annie-Laurie-Folksongs-Of-The-British-Isles/release/5101693

Maybe my favorite of them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_VtaD9Wchk

That's a very nice collection.
I'm very fond of them because of that whole silly 'cultural identity' thing we've talked about in another thread! :)

Julie Fowlis is a Scots Gaelic singer from Uist, and she's wonderful.
It's important to her to help keep Gàidhlig alive. I tried to teach myself, but haven't been disciplined enough.. It's fairly difficult..

Ged A Sheol Mi Air M' Aineol - Julie Fowlis
One of my favourites of hers.

Of course, I have no clue what she's saying!

Lovely evocation of Camelot by Loreena McKennitt : The Lady of Shalot

I love traditional British Isles Ballads, I love her voice, and as a teenager I was obsessed by the Camelot and Arturian legends.

If only we could look to The Return of the King. :)

This thread has been viewed 21402 times.

Back