Question Why do you love somebody???

Why do you love somebody??? ;-)

• The lovely kind character, he/she makes me smile ...

Votes: 81 65.9%
  • The House, the yacht, the cars and the money - that?s all!

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Her HUGE BREASTS/ His huge Co..!!!

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • I don't really love him/her... I simply don't want to be lonely....

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • What is love ?

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • Other, don't know, don't care

Votes: 14 11.4%

• Total voters
Of course.. I was just speaking in general..
Man has two main directions.
The knowing and the feeling.
The feeling makes a man a dad.
The knowing says he's an idiot.

Nothing wrong with that.

You could add another besides knowing and feeling as you put it. The doing! Behavior plays an important part in how you feel and what you know. The problem comes in when our behavior doesn't express our feelings for the people we love. Then you become cynical and bitter because it's easier than listening and changing ones behavior. Something like that!

I think the option ''Her HUGE BREASTS/ His huge Co..!!!'' has more to do with lust than anything else? :p

How about for how someone makes you feel as a person? For me it's the way she makes me want to be more than I am, to be good enough for her.

There is someone that questions the possibility of falling in love? I mean, is it true and possible to love someone else?

I can attest to it.

He makes my heart sing, my soul rejoice and my mind soar. I'm not trying to sound cliche, but he completes me. All of the bits, pieces and nuances I need to feel whole, he provides. I don't just love him with my heart, I love him with every bit of energy of which I am made.

I think girls are easier to get along with, the downside is every body keeps on hitting on me >\\~\\<

I would add more options...such: Because makes me realize who I really am; Reflects back on me; Helps me understand my good side and bad side....stuff like that.

What is love? Why do we fall in love, it is actually when we become aware of ourselves and we love ourselves. When we hate/dislike or are dissatisfied with ourselves we cannot give love/love somebody.

Does no one believe in love at first sight anymore? The colpo di fulmine...the strike of a bolt of lightening which is inexplicable? Is that possible only in a simpler world?

I'm with Pascal on this one: The heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing.

Like this:

Last edited:
fall in love without reason ;)

That leads me to think how we humans try to make laws that make rape wrong and we teach our children that rape is wrong, while I agree with that, you can see in nature that when a male lion feels like passing on his genes, he doesn't ask the lioness, he just jumps on her back and inserts his tool. :p

you can see in nature that when a male lion feels like passing on his genes, he doesn't ask the lioness, he just jumps on her back and inserts his tool. :p

that happens after he has killed or chased away all the "single" males, so it is a de-facto marriage in the lion world, because she has none else available. If a male outside of their group tried that, it would be considered "rape" and he would be attacked, although his physical action is identical to the dominant male of the group.

I don't think you can equate love with lust or the urge to procreate, not even when you're talking about men.
smile.gif

It's not just this:
"Come live with me and be my Love,
And we will all the pleasures prove
That hills and valleys, dale and field,
And all the craggy mountains yeild.

It's also this...
"We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only though our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone." Orson Welles

"Love is when he gives you a piece of your soul, that you never knew was missing". Torquato Tasso.

So real love looks like this: Sonnet 116-William Shakespeare

Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments.
Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds,
or bends with the remover to remove:
Oh, no! It is an ever-fixed mark.
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
it is the star to every wandering bark,
whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool,
though rosy lips and cheeks within his bending sickle's compass come;
love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
but bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved

When the Beloved is in danger of death, this is what it feels like-John Donne, "Fever" upon the instance of his wife's illness:

Oh do not die, for I shall hate
All women so, when thou art gone,
That thee I shall not celebrate,
When I remember, thou wast one.
But yet thou canst not die, I know;
To leave this world behind, is death,
But when thou from this world wilt go,
The whole world vapours with thy breath.

Or if, when thou, the world’s soul, go`st,
It stay, ’tis but thy carcase then,
The fairest woman, but thy ghost,
But corrupt worms, the worthiest men.

Oh wrangling schools, that search what fire
Shall burn this world, had none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire,
That this her fever might be it ?

And yet she cannot waste by this,
Nor long bear this torturing wrong,
For much corruption needful is
To fuel such a fever long.

These burning fits but meteors be,
Whose matter in thee is soon spent.
Thy beauty, and all parts, which are thee,
Are unchangeable firmament.

Yet ’twas of my mind, seizing thee,
Though it in thee cannot persever.
For I had rather owner be
Of thee one hour, than all else ever.

Very good, Angela - I think poetry can speak more clearly than prose when it comes to talking about something like love. But I would say that it's a combination of physical attraction and emotional attraction. IMO, there are some people who we find to be much more physically attractive than others and there are some people whose personalites we find to be much more likeable than others, and when those two things combine we "fall in love". That happened to me a couple of times when I was too young to marry. Of all the girls I dated, there were only two that I might have married if I had been ready to marry, because I was just as fascinated with their personalities as I was with their bodies. And it was the same when I met my ex-wife. There was an instant mutual attraction and curiosity. It took us a while to actually get together because our personalities clashed in some important ways, and we eventually separated, but she was one of the few people I've known who never made me feel bored.

Very good, Angela - I think poetry can speak more clearly than prose when it comes to talking about something like love. But I would say that it's a combination of physical attraction and emotional attraction. IMO, there are some people who we find to be much more physically attractive than others and there are some people whose personalites we find to be much more likeable than others, and when those two things combine we "fall in love". That happened to me a couple of times when I was too young to marry. Of all the girls I dated, there were only two that I might have married if I had been ready to marry, because I was just as fascinated with their personalities as I was with their bodies. And it was the same when I met my ex-wife. There was an instant mutual attraction and curiosity. It took us a while to actually get together because our personalities clashed in some important ways, and we eventually separated, but she was one of the few people I've known who never made me feel bored.

Ah well, I never meant to deny the role of the senses. :)

Speaking of poets, if one is looking for a poet who celebrates the carnal in love, one can't go wrong with Pablo Neruda. This could have been written by a woman as well as a man.

“I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.
Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.

I hunger for your sleek laugh,
your hands the color of a savage harvest,
hunger for the pale stones of your fingernails,
I want to eat your skin like a whole almond.

and I pace around hungry, sniffing the twilight,
hunting for you, for your hot heart,
Like a puma in the barrens of Quitratue.”

Marvelous, wasn't he? He must have been a force of nature. He was also blessed in his translator. :)

For some demanding types, intellect, wit, humor, an interesting turn of mind, integrity, a capacity for kindness and compassion, a sense of the "otherness" in life, are all necessary for physical infatuation to deepen into love. (Or perhaps they just think that they are and find them even if they're not there? :))

In fact, Mr. Darcy about sums it up, I think:
"I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on. " Now, what woman could resist this? Even if it came from a stiff, pompous, and usually undemonstrative man? :)

(Boredom is, I agree, the absolute enemy of love. I also agree with Elizabeth Bennett, now that I have Pride and Prejudice on my mind, that while a strong, stout love might survive it, a poor sonnet will kill a vague inclination stone dead! Therefore, a posy of flowers with a handwritten copy of a great poet's verse is a much better idea. )

For others though, their choice of a "Beloved" is as much a mystery to them as it is to observers. (One of my favorite lines from the movie "Shakespeare in Love" is the often repeated answer given by the impresario to explain why things will turn out all right, "I don't know...it's a mystery."

Emily Dickenson:
"Why Do I Love Thee, Sir?
Because—

The Wind does not require the Grass
To answer—Wherefore when He pass
She cannot keep Her place.

Because He knows—and
Do not You—
And We know not—
Enough for Us
The Wisdom it be so—

The Lightning—never asked an Eye
Wherefore it shut—when He was by—
Because He knows it cannot speak—
And reasons not contained—
—Of Talk—
There be—preferred by Daintier Folk—

The Sunrise—Sire—compelleth Me—
Because He's Sunrise—and I see—
Therefore—Then—
I love Thee—

Or, Neruda again..

"I do not love you except because I love you;
I go from loving to not loving you,
From waiting to not waiting for you
My heart moves from cold to fire.

I love you only because it's you the one I love;
I hate you deeply, and hating you
Bend to you, and the measure of my changing love for you
Is that I do not see you but love you blindly.

Maybe January light will consume
My heart with its cruel
Ray, stealing my key to true calm.

In this part of the story I am the one who
Dies, the only one, and I will die of love because I love you,
Because I love you, Love, in fire and blood
"

Anyway, I think this is "love" for some people:

"I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way than this:

where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.
"

This thread has been viewed 122396 times.

Back