Listen to an audio reconstruction of Proto-Indo-European language

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Listen to this audio reconstruction of what Proto-Indo-European language of R1a and R1b people might have sounded like 6,000 years ago in the Pontic-Caspian Steppe.

Here is the explanation from Archeology.com.

Archeology.com said:
In 1868, German linguist August Schleicher used reconstructed Proto-Indo-European vocabulary to create a fable in order to hear some approximation of PIE. Called “The Sheep and the Horses,” and also known today as Schleicher’s Fable, the short parable tells the story of a shorn sheep who encounters a group of unpleasant horses. As linguists have continued to discover more about PIE (and archaeologists have learned more about the Bronze Age cultures that would have spoken it), this sonic experiment continues and the fable is periodically updated to reflect the most current understanding of how this extinct language would have sounded when it was spoken some six thousand years ago. Since there is considerable disagreement among scholars about PIE, no one version can be considered definitive. Here, University of Kentucky linguist Andrew Byrd recites his version of the fable, as well as a second story, called "The King and the God," using pronunciation informed by the latest insights into reconstructed PIE.

Interesting. Is this person reading the text of Irish/Scottish descent? Pronunciation sounds Galic to me.

The first one sounded Sweddish to me. The second sounded Japanese :)

But in general I dislike it, too much "h" sounds... Latvian would ever make so much h sounds under serious sore throat problem. Good job we got rid of those!
(we dont have either h or f in old Latvian, only in late XX century borrowings - hokejs, futbols, halle, foto, etc)

R1a and R1b people? I don't think you should define people by their paternal lineages. R1b in west Europe might have nothing to do with Indo Europeans, and besides R1b L11 is the only possible link between Indo Europeans and R1b.

Interesting. Is this person reading the text of Irish/Scottish descent? Pronunciation sounds Galic to me.

To me as well. especially the R sounds. In general seems to me too much of guttural sounds. Is it because of the Scottish reader?

The first one sounded Sweddish to me. The second sounded Japanese :)

But in general I dislike it, too much "h" sounds... Latvian would ever make so much h sounds under serious sore throat problem. Good job we got rid of those!
(we dont have either h or f in old Latvian, only in late XX century borrowings - hokejs, futbols, halle, foto, etc)

Yes " H" and guttural sounds in general. I don´t hear any Swedish there.

Definitely worth listening to!

I am missing the nasals aND short/half vocals. Too much guttural focus.

With artificial intelligence they will probably be able to recreate the PIE language super accurately within 10 years. It will be interesting to see which of the indo european languages has changed the least from the old language
z4jxRji.jpg

This thread has been viewed 9274 times.

Back