Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Any full genome study or any sort of study on pre exile Jews?

  1. #1
    Regular Member John Doe's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-06-14
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    599

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

    Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    Country: Australia



    Any full genome study or any sort of study on pre exile Jews?

    I was wondering if such a study exists, and what are the results in comparison to modern Jewish populations.

  2. #2
    Elite member Fire Haired14's Avatar
    Join Date
    20-04-14
    Posts
    2,194

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b DF27*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2b1

    Country: USA - Illinois



    Luke the Evangelist got weak mtDNA results(HV1+2, something like that) and it's not totally clear what haplogroup he belonged to. Maybe they'll test his genome or whatever. I would imagine that Samartians or any modern population around ancient Israel known to have little-no Arab admixture should be a decent proxy for pre exile Jews.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Yetos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-10-11
    Location
    Makedonia
    Posts
    5,817

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

    Ethnic group
    Makedonian original
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Haired14 View Post
    Luke the Evangelist got weak mtDNA results(HV1+2, something like that) and it's not totally clear what haplogroup he belonged to. Maybe they'll test his genome or whatever. I would imagine that Samartians or any modern population around ancient Israel known to have little-no Arab admixture should be a decent proxy for pre exile Jews.
    Luke the Evangelist was considered Greek
    Marco Roman,
    Mathew and John Judian/Hebrew

    Lukas and Markos are the only non Hebrew of new testament
    first was a doctor
    second probably a military man
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

    When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

    Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

  4. #4
    Regular Member John Doe's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-06-14
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    599

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

    Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by Yetos View Post
    Luke the Evangelist was considered Greek
    Marco Roman,
    Mathew and John Judian/Hebrew

    Lukas and Markos are the only non Hebrew of new testament
    first was a doctor
    second probably a military man
    That's true, Luke (and I suppose Mark) was Jesus' only non Jewish disciple, if he was Greek then I reckon his ancestors settled in the Levant during the Hellenistic period. There were many Greek and later Roman colonies, Herod (who was very Greco-Roman himself) built Caeseria in honour of Augustus, twas a truly Greco Roman city. It is also said that when he built his temple in Jerusalem, he put a Roman eagle at the top.

  5. #5
    Regular Member John Doe's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-06-14
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    599

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

    Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Haired14 View Post
    Luke the Evangelist got weak mtDNA results(HV1+2, something like that) and it's not totally clear what haplogroup he belonged to. Maybe they'll test his genome or whatever. I would imagine that Samartians or any modern population around ancient Israel known to have little-no Arab admixture should be a decent proxy for pre exile Jews.
    Well, while there was no full genome study on Samaritans, there was a study on their Y chromosome, and apparently many Ashkenazis share similar lineages.
    It's also true that some Samaritans are very fair (pale skin, blue/green eyes and red hair), while others are very dark.

  6. #6
    Elite member Fire Haired14's Avatar
    Join Date
    20-04-14
    Posts
    2,194

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b DF27*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2b1

    Country: USA - Illinois



    Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Well, while there was no full genome study on Samaritans, there was a study on their Y chromosome, and apparently many Ashkenazis share similar lineages.
    It's also true that some Samaritans are very fair (pale skin, blue/green eyes and red hair), while others are very dark.
    Alot of studies have been focused on Jews, and so I don't understand why they wouldn't do a full genome study on Samaritans who have been unchanged for over 2,000 years.

    There's obviously a string of pale skin in west Asia, but that doesn't mean as pale as Europeans. It could also vary in west Asia. Besides east Asia the near east is the only other source of pale skin. If a west Asians and Europeans mix I bet most of the time the children will have pale skin. That could be the case with European Jews, and I guess their near eastern ancestors may have been unusually light.

  7. #7
    Regular Member John Doe's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-06-14
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    599

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

    Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish
    Country: Australia



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Haired14 View Post
    Alot of studies have been focused on Jews, and so I don't understand why they wouldn't do a full genome study on Samaritans who have been unchanged for over 2,000 years.

    There's obviously a string of pale skin in west Asia, but that doesn't mean as pale as Europeans. It could also vary in west Asia. Besides east Asia the near east is the only other source of pale skin. If a west Asians and Europeans mix I bet most of the time the children will have pale skin. That could be the case with European Jews, and I guess their near eastern ancestors may have been unusually light.
    I see, thanks. Maybe that's because the near eastern ancestors of AJs were pre Islamic? Most AJs have light skin but dark eyes and hair, my mum's side is Mediterranean looking while my dad's is fair, I got the fair features (Shaten hair, green grey eyes, pale skin and a small straight narrow nose), whether it's from European ancestora that admixed with near easterners, I'm not entirely sure yet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •